Star Wars IX The Rise of Skywalker (JJ Abrams 2019)

Jay

I'm inclined to say his interest will be still there especially with Kennedy on board as producer. As far as his health, it's hard to say, of course. They've managed to make it work with his back problems.

True, he agreed to score Episode 7 before any of it was shot.

But of course, he also already knew JJ Abrams beforehand.

Has he even met Rian Johnson?

Evidence?

His comments regarding the ending of the empire strikes back. He has a problem with the serial nature of Star Wars.

Never heard that quote before. But... it seems you're correct.

True, he agreed to score Episode 7 before any of it was shot.

But of course, he also already knew JJ Abrams beforehand.

Has he even met Rian Johnson?

Who knows? But it's not like he would be scoring a "Rian Johnson movie" per se. I'm sure he wants to do the whole thing. Health is really the only issue, I think. If everything goes well, he will score all three movies. Good thing that episode VIII is less that 2 years away

I think Kennedy will be the link that keeps Williams involved since he has a long history with her. I imagine we'll get an official announcement early next year.

And in an age of Josh Trank meltdowns after kids are given the keys to Hollywood, proven types like Treverrow would be in high demand. Don't underestimate how many brownie points you earn in Hollywood coming in under budget, a month early, open to producer and studio feedback... and not having a nervous breakdown.

To make that Fantastic Four issue worse, Trank wasn't even a fan of the characters and he kept demanding all these changes as the film began pre-production. Fox was trying to mend their perception as a 'director unfriendly' studio, and so they let him cast the film the way he wanted and largely didn't interfere during principal photography. They only realized their mistake when half the film was shot.

To top it off, Trank largely treated the cast he fought for (especially Kate Mara and Miles Teller) like shit. Trank is like a younger version of David O'Russell, the way he acted on Fantastic Four.

• 4 months later...

Aside from saying that there's no way he'd direct to somebody else's script, and they already have a director, a good one too, words fail me.

Well I didn't like the ending to Buffy. Frankly, the final 3 seasons were garbage. His Alien Resurrection script is nothing to write home about, either (regardless of whether you blame Whedon or Jeunet for that debacle).

He has a lot of credits in the bank though.

The key "jump the shark" moment was Dawn, in my opinion. Such contrived nonsense. There was a scattering of good episodes, like "The Body" and "Once More With Feeling," but nothing else grabbed me the way the high-school seasons did.

Huge fan of Whedon and Buffy, but I didn't realise that there was a formula that movies had to stick to or they're terrible... so I guess he doesn't like the ending of The Two Towers then? What about his own Age of Ultron that itself is saying "come back next week to see the next instalment." 

I love Joss. Firefly, Buffy, Angel, Avengers, Much Ado About Nothing, Toy Story. I hugely enjoy about 90% of his stuff, but even the best of them can be hypocrites. He is one of the biggest supporters of strong female characters that aren't just there for love interests and to be saved. Then he goes and makes Black Widow into a love interest for Banner who needs to be saved by him. And his other strong female character (Elizabeth Olsen) goes and runs away from the fight and needs a pep talk from a man (Hawk eye) in order to gain courage. 

2 minutes ago, crumbs said:

He also made those dumb comments about Bryce Dallas Howard in Jurassic World before he'd even seen her character arc. It's no wonder he clashes with studios so much.

She voluntarily opened the door of a T-Rex enclosure and lit a flair to say, "bring it big boy!" I'm sorry Joss, but Bryce could have worn a bikini with her high heels, and be slapped on the ass by a male pig, whilst cleaning and preparing the dinner for her man who just had a rough day at work getting money for her shopping habits in the 1950's, and she still would have come off as a badass in Jurassic World.

The thing in Avengers wouldn't be a problem if it wasn't mostly based on very old characters who tended, by default, to be almost always men. So with more women no one notices or scrutinizes so much.

So we can just skip Episode VIII, then?

Oh, and...

“What's interesting is I'm not creating a host of new characters,” Trevorrow said. “I have a lot of characters that people really love that we're going to make sure are all honored. No one's going to be left behind.”

That's interesting? Meh...

40 minutes ago, BloodBoal said:

“What's interesting is I'm not creating a host of new characters,” Trevorrow said. “I have a lot of characters that people really love that we're going to make sure are all honored. No one's going to be left behind.”

I'm already getting teary eyed for the inevitable bittersweet final performance of Rey's theme.  It'll be the end of an(other) era.  :crymore:

5 hours ago, BloodBoal said:

So we can just skip Episode VIII, then?

Oh, and...

That's interesting? Meh...

You expect them to introduce a bunch of new characters on the 3rd film of a continuous trilogy?

Colin Trevorrow Talks Some More About Episode IX

By the time we get to Episode IX, I look at that movie as one movie, as three movies, as six movies, and as nine movies. It’s something that needs to honor a story that has been told over a period of 40 years… Star Wars is a belief system, it’s not just a story and it’s not just a movie, and it’s something I take very seriously.

We’re going to make sure that that answer [to Rey's parentage] is deeply and profoundly satisfying. Rey is a character that is important in this universe, not just in the context of The Force Awakens, but in the entire galaxy. She deserves it. We’ll make sure that that answer is something that feels like it was something that happened a long time ago, far away, and we’re just telling you what happened.

4 hours ago, Stefancos said:

Quite a fruitless endeavor, because I doubt whatever they come up with will satisfy everyone.

When it becomes clear she isn't Luke's daughter, they'll be in denial for ages and be like "This is impossible! I had such a carefully thoughtout theory!"

This is SW, not a game of Cluedo.

• 3 weeks later...

Thank goodness for that, and not a surprising development (IIRC he also reversed a decision to shoot Jurassic World in native digital 3D after he was hired).

Amusing to think that Star Wars, shot 40 years ago, can be remastered into a higher quality than 2 of the 3 prequels shot digitally 15 years ago (and forever locked at 1080p; a resolution modern cell phones already supercede).