Star Wars IX The Rise of Skywalker (JJ Abrams 2019)

Jay

Actually, the plan to shoot Attack of the Clones began around the time The Phantom Menace was released, hence my specific choice of year. ;)

As a matter of fact, two scenes in TPM were shot with prototypes of the digital cameras, including the one where Qui-Gon sucks Anakin's blood at night (via a test tube, that is).

Always thought that scene looked a little strange compared to the rest of the film. Fits right in with the Blu-ray's DNR in "Vaseline Mode," though!

Blood_sample.png

On 10-7-2015 at 5:48 PM, Matt C said:

I don't think fans got it yet. If Trevorrow could recapture some of that magic from JP in JW (let's face it, audiences flocked to JW in record numbers), imagine what he could do with a SW film.

Especially with Williams scoring.

The problem with the box office numbers is that they in fact do not reflect perse how well a movie is received. E.g., numbers might be towering in the beginning because of high expectations, but drop quickly weeks after opening, still accounting for overall high box office numbers. A better indicator of how well a movie is received would be the box office numbers as a function of time.
I argue that JW wasn't so well liked, but expectations were enormous and therefore it did well.

Personally I don't care so much who directs as long as JW scores...

• 6 months later...

I think it'd be too predictable for either Leia or Luke to die in the next film. Maybe it's just wishful thinking, but I'd be really sad to see brother and sister never reunite... we need to hear Luke and Leia's Theme! :P

Pure speculation, but each trilogy ends with a key character's 'death' and funeral (at least musically). Anakin in ROTS and Vader in ROTJ.

I could envisage Episode IX ending with a fatally wounded Luke being consoled by Rey (who may or may not be his daughter), after Ren fails at turning Rey to the dark side. Fittingly, she tosses him down an energy shaft. :)

Just wait, there'll be another perfect opportunity for Luke/Leia and Williams will miss it like ROTS!

I agree that I think 8 probably won't kill Luke or Leia. I think the major characters (Luke, Leia, Rey, Kylo, Finn, Poe, Chewie and the droids) will survive, but somebody's bound to end up in mortal peril by the end of it. Not saying that I'm expecting an Empire "remake" but I think they'll stick with that template.

For 9, my feeling for now is that Luke will die and Leia will survive. Of course it may change depending on 8, whether one of them dies or it looks like the story's going another way.

The maturity and somewhat optimistic nature of the L&L theme would not have worked in ROTS.

28 minutes ago, crumbs said:

I think it'd be too predictable for either Leia or Luke to die in the next film. Maybe it's just wishful thinking, but I'd be really sad to see brother and sister never reunite... we need to hear Luke and Leia's Theme! :P

Pure speculation, but each trilogy ends with a key character's 'death' and funeral (at least musically). Anakin in ROTS and Vader in ROTJ.

I could envisage Episode IX ending with a fatally wounded Luke being consoled by Rey (who may or may not be his daughter), after Ren fails at turning Rey to the dark side. Fittingly, she tosses him down an energy shaft. :)

Like Han and Luke not reuniting?

5 minutes ago, Fennel Ka said:

The maturity and somewhat optimistic nature of the L&L theme would not have worked in ROTS.

I was being facetious, I just remember that being a big gripe for people.

10 hours ago, crumbs said:

I could envisage Episode IX ending with a fatally wounded Luke being consoled by Ren, after he fails at turning Rey to the light side. Fittingly, he tosses her down an energy shaft. :)

Fixed, since Rey will turn to the dark side in Episode VIII.

1 minute ago, BloodBoal said:

Fixed, since Rey will turn to the dark side in Episode VIII.

If Rey turns to the dark side in VIII, Williams will have an office-destroying meltdown to make the Citizen Kane room trashing scene look tame.

Followed by a press release announcing Michael Giacchino as the new composer for all future Star Wars movies.

How about this:

Luke actually turned to the darkside after Kylo slaughtered his students.  He's Snoke and is running the First Order.  He'll train Rey and she'll think its light side training, but its actually dark side.  She's realize what's happening late in Episode 8 and fight him, but lose.  Episode 9 will be about turning Luke back to the light.

... nah, that's lame :P

Actually, Kylo Ren turning back to the light after his massive mistake in The Force Awakens and having to save Rey from the dark side would be an incredible reversal!

I actually wouldn't mind that happening.

• 2 months later...

Awesome. I remember Rian Johnson said he wanted to shoot 8 entirely with IMAX cameras but I guess the realities of the production didn't allow for it.

Don't know if Trevorrow/Schwartzman is the best combo to bring the most out of it, though.

1 hour ago, mrbellamy said:

Awesome. I remember Rian Johnson said he wanted to shoot 8 entirely with IMAX cameras but I guess the realities of the production didn't allow for it.

Don't know if Trevorrow/Schwartzman is the best combo to bring the most out of it, though.

The story and setting of Jurassic World gave Trevorrow and Schwarzman more leeway visually, even if it looked blander than the first Jurassic Park. With them following J.J. Abrams and Rian Johnson for Episode IX, the visual tone will have to be consistent. 

I'll be unhappy if Episode IX looks like JW.

I can't put my finger on it but TFA looked a little blurry and waxy in spots. It had nice colour for the most part but any of the dark scenes (Kylo Han scene for example) looked a little crappy. 

Whatever happens with Rogue One story wise it looks like it'll be the best looking Star Wars film. 

35 minutes ago, Bilbo Skywalker said:

Whatever happens with Rogue One story wise it looks like it'll be the best looking Star Wars film. 

I dunno.  Everything I've seen in the trailer looks pretty drab and desaturated.  

2 hours ago, Bilbo Skywalker said:

I can't put my finger on it but TFA looked a little blurry and waxy in spots. It had nice colour for the most part but any of the dark scenes (Kylo Han scene for example) looked a little crappy. 

That was filmed on a green screen, and it didn't look quite right compared to the scenes that didn't need them.

4 hours ago, Bilbo Skywalker said:

Those anamorphic lenses aren't always 100% sharp.

• 4 weeks later...

Rumoured production start date, ‘Star Wars: Episode 9’ begins filming in April

Even though the movie isn’t scheduled to hit theaters until May 23, 2019, several industry publications, including MeEntertainmentWorld.com, are reporting Star Wars: Episode IX will being production in April 2017.

Production for Episode IX will be based at Pinewood Studios, Iver Heath, Buckinghamshire, England, UK.

Initially thought this was quite early, but considering Episode IX is still pencilled in for a summer release (rather than Christmas) it's only about 18 months post-production, about the same as VII & VIII.

Of course, the earlier they shoot IX, the earlier Williams could start working on the score (if he feels up to it). He may want a well-deserved vacation after writing VIII, RP1 and KOEM in succession.

600px-T2GoodOlArney-4.jpg

6 minutes ago, BloodBoal said:

The release date will be pushed to December 2019 anyway.

JW can still score it at the start of 2018 though, regardless of the release date. The earlier they shoot, the earlier he can see a rough cut.

Disney won't care if the film sits on a shelf in finished form for 6 months.

I have to think the film will be moved to December 2019, since Avengers 4 and Indy 5 open in the summer of 2019.

I wonder how similar Colin Trevorrow's directing will be in this compared to how he directed Jurassic World

Well, obviously, he'll have stormtroopers riding velociraptors, instead of dewbacks.

Apart from that, he will adopt a black and white, cinema verité approach, coupled with high, Hitchcockian angles, and long, lingering shots of the sands of Tattooine...oops, sorry: Jakku.

Anne V. Coates will edit, and Roger Deakins will photograph.

Carter Burwell will provide a sparse, yet intellectualy satisfying score. Verhoven, and Lynch, are on board, as advisors.

The film will have a limited distribution, through the newly-reformed Cannon Group.