Star Wars IX The Rise of Skywalker (JJ Abrams 2019)

Jay

I would put large sums of money that it will be JJ or Johnson.  Given the Williams seemed to have a good working relationship with both, I would be fine with either.  Then again, most people care more about SW than Williams, but I do not. 

I'm pretty sure it will be Rian Johnson or J.J. Abrams coming back for Episode IX.

It's a shame Kennedy and Trevorrow couldn't work things out, but at least he wasn't booted halfway through production like Miller and Lord were on the Han Solo spin-off.

This will almost certainly be delayed, no matter how Kennedy and Disney deny it, probably to December 2019. If Kennedy wants either J.J. or Rian, they will want time to prep and refine the script, and not jump in head-first to meet the May 2019 date.

J.J. pushed Kennedy to agree to a December 2015 date for The Force Awakens, so they wouldn't rush the final product. Johnson started writing while TFA was in production and then Disney delayed The Last Jedi to December 2017 just because TFA did so well in the new release spot. They should not rush Episode IX because Trevorrow and Kennedy couldn't agree on a script.

I think Kennedy should finally put her money where her mouth is. A woman is running Star Wars now. It was Kennedy who mandated that the new trilogy will have a female hero. I think now it's time to finally get a female director.

23 minutes ago, Matt C said:

This will almost certainly be delayed, no matter how Kennedy and Disney deny it, probably to December 2019. If Kennedy wants either J.J. or Rian, they will want time to prep and refine the script, and not jump in head-first to meet the May 2019 date.

J.J. pushed Kennedy to agree to a December 2015 date for The Force Awakens, so they wouldn't rush the final product. Johnson started writing while TFA was in production and then Disney delayed The Last Jedi to December 2017 just because TFA did so well in the new release spot. They should not rush Episode IX because Trevorrow and Kennedy couldn't agree on a script.

I wonder if that fact that Frozen 2 is currently scheduled for late November 2019 could limit Disney's options here. You can't exactly move a winter-themed movie away from Christmas, and they won't want to delay it a full year. Maybe they would be fine with having SW come out at around the same time? 

The only thing I hate about this news is that it delays any chance Williams will start the score until 2019, which probably means no new Williams music at all next year.

He was probably expecting to start the score mid-2018. I assume the next writer will scrap Trevorrow's script and start from scratch. Which means he will score the film when he's 87...

3 minutes ago, Will said:

I wonder if that fact that Frozen 2 is currently scheduled for late November 2019 could limit Disney's options here. You can't exactly move a winter-themed movie away from Christmas, and they won't want to delay it a full year. Maybe they would be fine with having SW come out at around the same time? 

I just don't see why this should be a problem.  Rogue One came out just a couple of weeks after Moana after all.

13 minutes ago, Will said:

Disney could release Episode IX in August, September, or October 2019 and still rake in over $1 billion worldwide. That's the power of the brand and that the time of year doesn't matter anymore.

I wouldn't worry about Frozen 2 eating into Episode IX's box-office earnings, they're aimed at different audiences.

Probably based on this Deadline article, which is reporting the possibility of Johnson's return as "in the air"

Sounds vague, but not a surprise that it's at least being talked about. One thing that potentially mucks it up is Johnson had claimed on a podcast in June that he wanted to get a new script going this fall, might be ready to move on to something new.

Then again, he did tweet this recently:

I think it would really depend on what he thought of the current script, whether or not he'd be given time to do his own rewrite, delay the movie's release etc. I dunno if I see him as the type to want to jump back into it so badly that he'll play ball with whatever they've got.

As for John Williams:

On 12/16/2015 at 2:25 PM, mrbellamy said:

He'll be 87. The same age as Morricone is now...the same age as Aragorn when he lead the defense at Helm's Deep.

He can do it!

31 minutes ago, BloodBoal said:

Get Andrew Stanton. He deserves another shot at a live-action movie, especially after Disney treated his first one so poorly!

Yes! That's exactly how this type of thing works!

Hehehe...

They're probably just going to ask Johnson and Abrams. They work fine for then, give no trouble, are no strangers to how things go in Lucasfilm, and Johnson in particular seems super happy at everything and already knows where the toilet it.

I don't think we can underestimate the advantage JJ and Rian have simply by being familiar with the cast, crew and workings of Lucasfilm. It would allow them to hit the ground running rather than needing a few weeks to become settled into the company.

I'd say they're both in the box seat and would need to turn it down before they start asking other directors.

If Robert Aldrich was still alive, I'd like to see him create a SW psychological thriller. Maybe about two Sith Ladies who are at each other's throats, playing mind games on each other, one was cut in half in battle so she needs a hover chair, the other's a nut who yearns for past glories and serves the other dead porgs for din din.

Whatever Happened to Darth Jane?

5 minutes ago, Sally Spectra said:

If Robert Aldrich was still alive, I'd like to see him create a SW psychological thriller. Maybe about two Sith Ladies who are at each other's throats, playing mind games on each other, one was cut in half in battle so she needs a hover chair, the other's a nut who yearns for past glories and serves the other dead porgs for din din.

Whatever Happened to Darth Jane?

Kathy Kennedy would nix such a directorial candidate just based on that description. She obviously wants safe been-there-done-that type of SW films and anything beyond the formula is probably too much for her to stomach.

4 minutes ago, Incanus said:

Kathy Kennedy would nix such a directorial candidate just based on that description. She obviously wants safe been-there-done-that type of SW films and anything beyond the formula is probably too much for her to stomach.

Nothing wrong with it. You're just a neurotic, Kathy. You know that, you're just a neurotic.