Star Wars IX The Rise of Skywalker (JJ Abrams 2019)

Jay

3 hours ago, crumbs said:

Even after seeing TLJ, I'd have rathered Johnson had returned to do IX. Mindel did an admirable job on TFA (Dutch tilts excepted) but Yedlin's work on TLJ was superb.

Yeah.  I really liked TFA's cinematography at the time but there are several scenes that look like a TV movie (all of which take place on Maz's Planet.  The Han and Finn battle scene "The Resistance" accompanies really sticks out like a sore thumb). 

TLJ has some less-interesting visual stretches (all in the monochrome and cramped Resistance vessel interior) but it's more consistently cinematic.

But than, The Last Jedi also has a lot of designs that are - like the prequels - less in the used, broken-down aesthetic of the first few Star Wars films. Both Snoke's Chamber and Canto Bight have that slick, polished look to them.

6 hours ago, Not Mr. Big said:

Yeah.  I really liked TFA's cinematography at the time but there are several scenes that look like a TV movie.

It has to do with the lighting. Like the original Star Wars, The Force Awakens relies heavily on strong, high-key lighting. But it does have some dynamic, hightened, low-key lighting as well: Thinking about the shadows when Ren interrogates Poe, or the standoff with Han Solo in the Rathtar sequence. 

You also can't give too much credit to cinematography and lighting when the environment is a digitial one, which applies to several setpieces in both The Force Awakens and The Last Jedi. The difference is that, I would argue, the CG in The Force Awakens was much more polished (even if it, too, sometimes left things to be desired). The duel with Phasma and a lot of the composite shots in Canto Bight didn't look good to me, not in the slightest.

It's pretty obvious that entire sequence is intentionally stylised, a "heightened reality" that supports the ethereal nature of the scenes (basically a very clever way of intimating something's not right with what your eyes are seeing -- it's an illusion). It's quite clear what the 'heavenly' beam of light between siblings in the Luke & Leia sequence is meant to represent.

10 hours ago, Chen G. said:

Did they augment his appearance there with CG? I seem to recall shots that suggested that.

Uhm I doubt it, whatever for? But yeah, the greenscreen in that scene was way too obvious. And that haircut, my god... 😛

He was deliberately made to look much younger, which was likely achieved through makeup and CG. It was all part of his plan to unsettle Kylo as much as possible.

EDIT - The director said as much:

"[Luke] is basically tailoring this projection to have maximum effect on Kylo. He knows that Kylo's Achilles heel is his rage, and so that's why he kind of makes himself look younger, the way Kylo would have last seen him in their confrontation at the temple, and that's why he decided to bring Kylo's grandfather's lightsaber down there -- the lightsaber that Kylo screamed at Rey, 'That's mine, that belongs to me.'"

Another good point. If Luke had turned up looking like the disheveled hermit we'd spent the film with, he'd be far less intimidating to Kylo than in his youthful form. It would throw anyone off-kilter if they met a friend for the first time after 10 years and they hadn't aged.

Makes me wonder if they missed an opportunity not having Luke project himself as Han Solo rather than just a younger Luke. Now that would really fuck with Kylo! Maybe something JJ might explore in IX?

Well, exactly. It's quite laughable reading some of the idiots complaining that Luke wasn't actually there, like it had less impact because it was an illusion.

I mean, way to completely miss the entire point of what the Jedi represent. Not to mention the fact Luke would've been blasted into oblivion in the first 10 seconds, rendering the Resistance doomed.

Yeah, I don't really have an issue with this section of the film, except structural issues leading up to that:

1. Luke's ability to produce what is essentialy an astral projection is not planted earlier, unless you consider it an extension of the type of psychic connection that Rey and Kylo exhibit.

2. This setpiece, ostensibly the climax of the film, comes too soon after the midpoint twist. 

Both are not issues with the sequence itself, but with the plotting leading up to it.

It's possible there was a deleted scene which hinted further at the astral projection element. I guess they ultimately went for the surprise factor, worried they might make it too predictable if they planted too many references to the ability throughout the narrative.

As it stands, they already leave several hints during the sequence itself if you pay close attention.

I like to think it was more a spur-of-the-moment idea from Luke, who'd probably only read stories about using the Force this way but had never achieved such a feat. His projection to Kylo was clearly his first time attempting it, making it that much more unique and special.

• 4 weeks later...
11 minutes ago, Chen G. said:

The diminished size of the rebellion doesn’t lend itself to that. I would imagine something more along the lines of an insurgency mission.

Well yes. But there's a whole galaxy out there...

There will likely be a sizable time leap between the events of TLJ and Episode IX; enough time for the Resistance to revitalize and grow in number and allies, and for Rey to possibly learn more from the ghost of Luke and the books from the island. I can't imagine the entirety of the sequel trilogy taking place within a matter of mere weeks.

Yeah, but the film showed that no one responded to Leia’s call, so - regardless of the time gap, which I have no doubt will be sizable - having that element undone offscreen would be a thematic cop-out, I think.

1 hour ago, The Illustrious Jerry said:

I hope that it's going to be all out war like John Boyega said.

Isn't it always in STAR WARS? ;)

Karol

It maybe has been said before but I think the opening crawl of the next episode will speak about the death of Leia.  I see it beginning like this...

The Resistance is in mourning.  General Leia....

In not-so-surprising news: Finn and Rey will stick together in Episode IX

“I haven’t read the script for Episode 9. But Daisy did shoot me a text saying, 'Oh my gosh, I just heard from J.J. [Abrams], and we’re back together.' That’s what I’m really excited about, is Finn and Rey back together again.”

Must have been right around that ridiculous moment where Rey and Poe introduce themselves to each other for some reason

It's just ridiculous that they hadn't already chatted a bit at the rebel base after the Starkiller blew up before she left for Luke's planet

Alan Dean Foster actually wrote such a scene for the TFA novelization.

There were a few shots of the two of them near one another at the end of TFA (as R2 wakes up and finds the map).  I guess it depends on how much time elapses between Rey/Finn/Chewie returning from Starkiller Base, to Rey and Chewie taking off again for Ach-To.  I'm sure that Rey hadn't introduced herself to every single person on whatever planet that rebel base was on.  She didn't have a conscious Finn to make the introduction either.  Guess they were just two ships passing in the night.