Star Wars IX The Rise of Skywalker (JJ Abrams 2019)

Jay

I think all film series', even if they are original stories, reach a point where they're better off closing up shop, as it were. I feel like Star Wars (again, in terms of the main episodes) is at that point in its life.

4 minutes ago, Pieter_Boelen said:

Why must upbeat undermine anything anyway?

Sometimes, a massively happy ending can be more impactful than anything else.

Doesn't hurt to broadcast some hope into this world, I think. ;)

Yeah, it should end with Putin and Trump being tossed into the Sarlacc pit.

Add the Turkish guy too.

4 hours ago, Chen G. said:

The way its explained to us, The Force sustains existence, so you could approach it more in terms of cutting off people's connection to it, rather than eliminating the force itself.

I think its the best way to bring closure to this series, and if you want to do something unexpected yet inevitable, than I feel like that's the way to go.

The way to do that would be to create a virus that kills midichlorians. The Resistance would use biowarfare to infect the galactic population with anti-midi agents that would render a Force-user suddenly impotent with the Force.

How about the Resistance makes a Resistance Star and the First Order make a Starkiller II and they blow each other up at the same time, creating a black hole and sucking everything in the galaxy in, save the outer rim just so Rian Johnson can mess around there for a few movies. 

😊

6 hours ago, mstrox said:

I'm happy with them dragging out forever and ever.  Keep making fun movies about wizards and rogues and hopeful fantastic situations in space.

Of course, I want IX to be a satisfying capper to the 'trilogy' in the same way that Jedi was for the OT.  But when I first got into Star Wars in the mid-1990s, there was never an Ending to Star Wars.  Luke and Leia and Han and Occasionally Lando were always off fighting the next threat - Thrawn, Isard, the Vong, etc etc etc, starting like one minute after their "happy ending" on Endor with The Truce at Bakura.

I derive a lot of fun out of these movies being a series of serial adventures, and less in some super-serious statement of finality.

And what of the next three trilogies and however many spinoffs? I'll watch if you watch mstrox.

23 hours ago, crumbs said:

Well JJ already ruined the opening crawl font. Might as well ruin another tradition!

What are you talking about?  I swear you guys nitpick everything. 

3 hours ago, Demodex said:

What are you talking about?  I swear you guys nitpick everything. 

He broke consistency with every crawl since ROTJ and went with the font used on ESB's crawl for the film title.

t5lIMoY.jpg

That said, I've no idea what font The Last Jedi uses. It seems like a hybrid of the two.

• 1 month later...

All of it!  I love it!  From Rey’s desperate casting about for meaning to the milk aliens!

Anyway it’s this old dad’s bedtime.  Gonna finish the movie tomorrow night.  I love it!  Can’t wait for IX.

I liked when a drunken Luke said Darth Sidious. A surprise, to be sure, but, a welcome one.

Disco Stu gushing over TLJ must be how I come across to all of you when I rave about Always. I'm so sorry...

9 hours ago, Disco Stu said:

The conversations between Kylo and Rey are the actual highlight of the movie.  I like how the long distance ones are done without any needless special effect.

It would have been more realistic if they used Skype.

Anyway, great review, Disco!

Hardly a review, more of a live blog.

I just love Star Wars movies.  It’s nice to hold on to one series you turn off your adult critical faculties for and just watch like you did as a kid.  I mean look at the prequels, in general those who despise them were adults when they came out and those who love them were teens or younger.  It’s funny to watch the exact same thing happen again with this trilogy.  All these prequel defenders who now get their very own “ruined my childhood!” moment.

:lol:

Ha, I had heard about Kennedy getting into Twitter spats with long-standing SW fans calling them 'old fat bitter white misogynists' or somesuch. 

Although ... I have heard that in Solo, the previously undoubtedly straight Lando will have a crush on Han that he makes no secret of. If true, that is an unfortunate example of a character's nature being altered purely to crowbar in SJW issues.      

51 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

Generation X : “George Lucas ruined my childhood!”

Millennials : “Hollywood’s SJW agenda ruined Star Wars!  Also 9/11 was an inside job!”

Millennials probabky make up the majority of SJW though. It’s older generations that I find have the problem. Mostly people who grew up with the OT I find to be the most bigoted and close minded of fans.

Jet fuel can’t melt decade long fan theories!!

On 5/19/2018 at 9:05 PM, Sweeping Strings said:

Although ... I have heard that in Solo, the previously undoubtedly straight Lando will have a crush on Han that he makes no secret of. If true, that is an unfortunate example of a character's nature being altered purely to crowbar in SJW issues.      

I might add that at no point in ESB or ROTJ was Lando depicted as "undoubtedly straight". He was undoubtedly attracted to and flirting with Leia, but that doesn't at all mean that he is straight.

Have also heard that it turns out that it wasn't Han who got the Falcon through the Kessel Run in less than 12 parsecs, but Emilia Clarke's character instead. No idea if that's true or not.  

50 minutes ago, Sweeping Strings said:

Have also heard that it turns out that it wasn't Han who got the Falcon through the Kessel Run in less than 12 parsecs, but Emilia Clarke's character instead. No idea if that's true or not.  

That's interesting. Solo never said that he made the Kessel Run in less than 12 parsecs, just that the ship did.

On 4/10/2018 at 6:39 AM, Richard said:

Its your imagination, kid. Come on, let's keep a little optimism, here.

Ugh. Don't remind me of that. One of several of beta Han's cringe worthy lines in that movie.

Han Solo should not sound like a self-help guru.