Star Wars IX The Rise of Skywalker (JJ Abrams 2019)

Jay

If Rey and Finn fell in love, it would be the downfall of feminism! 

The answer would obviously be give Rey a girlfriend, but Star Wars isn't allowed to be fun so that won't happen. 

Is this my cue to show off Nikita, a heroic witch of unknown species (born with a fox tail and a missile stuck in her eye for reasons forever unknown to her)? 

It's not? Well, here she is anyway. 

IMG_1339.JPG

IMG_4634.JPG

IMG_4638.JPG

IMG_4700.JPG

IMG_4730.JPG

10 minutes ago, John said:

I just cannot understand people who think female characters who aren't defined by a male/romantic interest are a bad thing.

You don't have to be an "SJW" (or whatever the term is nowadays) to see that it's a good thing to have female heroes and role models. You just have to be a human being.

7 minutes ago, Chen G. said:

Oh, sure.

My issue is with the concept that to romanticise a heroine is anathema, as if it degrades the character.

Not that I'm a huge fan, but Wonder Woman was a good film (by a woman director), with a good female lead, who was played by a model, and walked around in a mini-skirt and corset and had a romantic relationship in the film. Rey, on the other hand...

All depends on the character.

6 minutes ago, kaseykockroach said:

Is this my cue to show off Nikita, a heroic witch of unknown species (born with a fox tail and a missile stuck in her eye for reasons forever unknown to her)? 

It's not? Well, here she is anyway. 

Dude, draw. You're pretty damn good at it and there are millions of people online who love weird shit like this.

Thank youse! Though I had posted them for years on several social media pages, to less than zero feedback even when I begged for it. So I gave up a long time ago and just keep them to myself.

(Pictured here is Nikita's love interest Boober the mermaid, and Nikita's older brother Kasey Kockroach. Obviously not related by blood, she was adopted and raised by a doting family of roaches). 

IMG_0800.JPG

IMG_0801.JPG

IMG_0803.JPG

IMG_4148.JPG

IMG_4705.JPG

IMG_4751.JPG

I did a six-page comic years ago in college. Again, no interest was expressed. So I just keep the characters to myself. Trying to get attention and feedback just grew intensely depressing, so it was best I just draw for my own sake.

1 hour ago, Chen G. said:

My issue is with the concept that to romanticise a heroine is anathema, as if it degrades the character.

Though as has been said, it depends on character, I can have an issue with this, as well. I also have an issue with this weird notion that in order to be a badass, a woman has be to efemulated: basically a poor imitation of a sterotypical male hero: stoic, hard-edged, and and too cool for everything around them. Seriously?

I watched a comedy special with Jeff Ross where he went and roasted female inmates, and made some pretty explicit sexual jokes (such as asking a pregnant lady if she was there because she robbed a sperm bank). Afterwards, he got letters from the prison guards saying that the women's morale were high for quite a time after the show: apparently, they found it humanizing to actually be talked to like women, especially after being in prison and being treated like sexless prisoners. This isn't to condone making really crude jokes based on one's gender (playing to a prison crowd can require one to be a little more extreme than everyday scenarios, of course), but it does highlight an interesting dichotomy between certain ideals pushed for today by certain groups of ideologues, and the ways many people actually wish to be treated and addressed.

To wrap this around back to Star Wars: I don't have a problem with Rey being romance-less, I just think it's confusing they tried to hint at anything else in The Force Awakens. Not to do the whole "Reylo" thing or whatever, but I do think it'd be cool for to be some kind of romantic/sexual undercurrent between the two. Unless you count the "romance" between Rose and Finn, this will be one of the most love-less trilogies in cinematic history!

@kaseykockroach Pretty slick, amigo!

1 minute ago, Nick Parker said:

Not to do the whole "Reylo" thing or whatever, but I do think it'd be cool for to be some kind of romantic/sexual undercurrent between the two.

I thought the sexual tension between them in TLJ practically sparked off the screen!  I also think it's fine for it to remain subtext.

Just now, Disco Stu said:

I thought the sexual tension between them in TLJ practically sparked off the screen!  I also think it's fine for it to remain subtext.

Agreed! What I mean moreso is that it felt like a missed opportunity in The Force Awakens, and I hope it doesn't get backpedalled or totally done away with in the next one. It's a new thing for Star Wars: in the originals, you have two beloved characters Han and Leia in love; in the prequels, you have Anakin and Padme in love...Anakin's technically evil, but he's also technically the protagonist, and I think we're supposed to like him. But with these new movies, we have someone who's completely considered a rotten egg with the hots for a goodie: I don't want there to be a "love triumphs over evil" message in that way (you know the way, where the two opposing leaders fall in love and ignites a truce amongst warring sides), but it could go in really interesting ways, especially after all the stuff that happened at the end of The Last Jedi.

1 hour ago, Disco Stu said:

Bilbo is such a terrible character.  Tolkien was so misguided not giving him a romantic relationship.  

Well they threw in Tauriel, but she went with the dwarf....

Just now, kaseykockroach said:

It's a shame Severin never got a love interest, as executives deemed the idea of any woman finding him romantically/physically desirable "unrealistic". 

Is that a Lord of the Rings character? 

God, no. 

He was a character in Fallen Kingdom who had a crush on Claire, but he got eaten by a carnotaurus and no one noticed or cared.

2 minutes ago, Nick Parker said:

Is that a Lord of the Rings character? 

3 minutes ago, kaseykockroach said:

God, no. 

He was a character in Fallen Kingdom who had a crush on Claire, but he got eaten by a carnotaurus and no one noticed or cared.

Wait, they named someone in a Jurassic Park movie Severin? That makes no sense, but at least now the title Fallen Kingdom does.

5 minutes ago, Fargo said:

This thread's gone downhill. To much hentai in here.

Says the man with the hentai monster in his avatar! What are those claws used for, anyways?

1 minute ago, kaseykockroach said:

Makes sense no one remembers him. He was excruciatingly ugly, his voice was grating on the ears, and his drawings sucked.

Son of a gun, I just looked up "Severin Fallen Kingdom" and discovered things I didn't think I would.

Finally, Billy Dee returns to the franchise! Too bad he didn't get to act with his old colleagues in TFA and TLJ, but later is better than never, in my opinion.

How do you think he'll fit into the story? Is he Rey's father? Or mother? Will he be the only one responding to the rebels' distress call in TLJ?

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/star-wars-billy-dee-williams-returning-as-lando-calrissian-xi-1125818

He'll show off his pansexuality by courting Rose and Poe at once, then as a nod to Solo, shag the Falcon.

WIth more seriousness, I hope they won't try and bring back the "can we trust him?" trait from Empire. Him not being part of the Resistance from the start shows his flip-floppiness and reluctance to stand out as a hero of the Galaxy well enough.

18 minutes ago, Holko said:

How many black people have you seen in the galaxy who could be? ;) 

How many black people are there in the galaxy? - At least two. (Kathleen Kennedy checking her requirements for the new trilogy)

Just now, Jurassic Shark said:

How many black people are there in the galaxy? - At least two. (Kathleen Kennedy's checking her requirements for the new trilogy)

There's not enough blue ones.

Résultats de recherche d'images pour « blue character cantina band »

There'll be some nice reveal that he's among the new resistance top brass who responded to Leia's code and united under her banner, or the resistance will remain very small-in-size like the end of TLJ and he'll be a reliable/key private sector helper in some sort of guerilla mission.

He'll turn out to be the head-honcho of Canto Bight.

"Rebellion? Ah yes. I did that for a while, once. Made a lot of money from it. Used it to get this place started. The First Order was really grateful for those arms shipments I did for them...he he he." *lights huge cigar* 

5 minutes ago, Stefancos said:

He'll turn out to be the head-honcho of Canto Bight.

"Rebellion? Ah yes. I did that for a while, once. Made a lot of money from it. Used it to get this place started. The First Order was really grateful for those arms shipments I did for them...he he he." *lights huge cigar* 

Is this supposed to be a joke?  That actually sounds like one of the interesting ways to handle it!  I'd love to see Billy Dee go baddie.  The fans would revolt even more than they already have though.

2 hours ago, Jurassic Shark said:

How do you think he'll fit into the story?

As long as his first scene goes something like this (minus Han, of course):

Image result for lando gif

Image result for rey gif

Then I'm good with it.

Still okay if Luke reforms on Crait, but beardless. Heck, we saw a grey beard, a whitish beard, even a brown beard from him in The Last Jedi. Now he's coming back with no beard.