Star Wars IX The Rise of Skywalker (JJ Abrams 2019)

Jay

2 hours ago, Muldoon said:

will Rey turn bad, will Kylo turn good, what's gonna happen to Snoke, who were Rey's parents, etc. 

That's the issue: I never cared for any of those questions.

I predict that the whole series was Force projected by Luke: how else could C-3P0 have known about all of those events in Return of the Jedi? All of the plot inconsistencies are explained in this theory, so if JJ doesn't go this route I'm going to harass him off social media.

I reckon Rey will hear Leia's voice before she dies - we don't see her die physically, but she'll impart some wisdom/'MTFBWY' line to Rey that they pre-recorded from the last films.

23 minutes ago, leeallen01 said:

So Lando will die. They will of course kill Leia off-screen. 3PO and R2 will be vapourised.

The droids will survive so Williams can finally resurrect the 'Droid Motif' from ESB.

6 minutes ago, leeallen01 said:

Well Disney want to kill the past, ie the original trilogy, so I bet all the money I have that there will be zero OT characters left at the end of Ep9

What a childish reading of the themes of TLJ.

It is and it isn't. While the film clearly doesn't approve of Ren's communist-like ideology of killing the past, it does seek to go against the "Star Wars formula" at just about every single turn, to the point that it becomes infuriating to ardent fans, or just tiresome for the average viewer.

Johnson even subverted the "I have a bad feeling about this" line by not using it, and later cheekily said that BB-8 beeped it during the opening sequence. *sigh...*

1 hour ago, Chen G. said:

it does seek to go against the "Star Wars formula" at just about every single turn,

It does?  Because to me there was a ton of stuff in TLJ that mirrored ESB and ROTJ.  Rey leaves Luke against his advice, the throne room scene is the same as ROTJ until Snoke's death, the First Order walkers on Crait, a Dark Side cave, etc. 

Yes, there were some things that were refreshingly new, but it is to ESB and ROTJ what TFA was to ANH. 

Meh. There are similarities, sure, but they're mostly superficial, and are largely the result of the starting point to this film, as laid down by Abrams. a lack of originality isn't the issue here.

1 hour ago, Demodex said:

It does?  Because to me there was a ton of stuff in TLJ that mirrored ESB and ROTJ.  Rey leaves Luke against his advice, the throne room scene is the same as ROTJ until Snoke's death, the First Order walkers on Crait, a Dark Side cave, etc. 

Yes, there were some things that were refreshingly new, but it is to ESB and ROTJ what TFA was to ANH. 

It absolutely does. It's honestly the main reason there are so many nonsensical decisions in it.

Is it even possible to read Luke's actions at the end of Jedi any different? He just realised that using violence against the Sith won't get him anywhere. Same reason why Yoda fled during the confrontation with the Emperor in Sith. And yeah, having Luke take down the entire army with is laser sword and bunch of superpower tricks would be a complete betrayal of everything Jedi stand for. The Old Republic order played these games and got themselves eradicated.

Karol

11 minutes ago, crocodile said:

He just realised that using violence against the Sith won't get him anywhere.

Bollocks!

Are we to believe that The First Order is to be won by hugs?

I’ve yet to see a Star Wars film where the bad guys were defeated by any means other than violence. It’s in the friggin name: Star WARS.

2 minutes ago, Chen G. said:

I’ve yet to see a Star Wars film where the bad guys were defeated by any means other than violence. It’s in the friggin name: Star WARS.

You really don't get it. 😂

Karol

15 hours ago, Chen G. said:

Yo Chen, check out Return of the Jedi.  Luke realizes what fighting is doing to him, throws away his weapon, and defeats the toughest motha in the galaxy with love.

They'll get this CGI Leia to play her in episode IX and all her lines will be dialog edits from the previous films.  She'll have a Captain Kirk cadence that will incense fans and will be the source of huge debates on this site and throughout the internet.  

image.png

On 7/15/2018 at 5:10 PM, Chen G. said:

Are we to believe that The First Order is to be won by hugs?

Tell me that's how we're going to win, right? Not fighting what we hate, hugging it.

40 minutes ago, karelm said:

and will be the source of huge debates on this site and throughout the internet.  

And with that bit there you gave Disney a perfect reason not to do a CGI Leia.

On 7/12/2018 at 3:42 PM, Jurassic Shark said:

I predict that Snoke's not dead - it was just a force projection we saw when he got "killed" in TLJ.

I'd be happy because Snoke was wasted, but mad because it's too easy a way out. Same love-hate idea with Luke resurfacing/reforming on Crait or whatever- a fix that makes people happy, but makes to much possible. Deceased characters are deceased and that's that.

Luke will use force projection on the entire fleet.  Consumed with hatred, the First Order will chase the phantom fleet until they are out of fuel slowly dying in pursuit of a phantom goal.  Hence no war is necessary.  The rebels hug together celebrating their victory so yes, hugs win over war and order is restored to the galaxy.  Rey sheds a tear looking out the window wondering if she made the right choice in abandoning Kylo Ren until a crackly but familiar hand touches her shoulder saying "hello, what have we here?"  

[FADE TO BLACK]

5 minutes ago, karelm said:

Luke will use force projection on the entire fleet.  Consumed with hatred, the First Order will chase the phantom fleet until they are out of fuel.

No, thank you. No more of this fuel nonesense. Had enough of that in The Last Jedi.

28 minutes ago, Chen G. said:

No, thank you. No more of this fuel nonesense. Had enough of that in The Last Jedi.

Wrong thread. Please take this to the "The Official Thread to Absorb All the Hostility of JWFan" thread.

Also, the Resistance's fuel situation isn't the first time being low on fuel has been used as a plot device in a Star Wars movie. In The Phantom Menace, Padme's cruiser doesn't have enough power to get to Coruscant, so Qui-Gon said they needed to make a stop on Tatooine to refuel and get supplies. Therefore, if they had enough power to get to Coruscant, maybe they wouldn't have met Anakin.

I just keep seeing people giving The Last Jedi crap because they think running out of fuel has NEVER been a problem in Star Wars before, when the opposite is true.

51 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

Before TLJ, half the internet was like, "Boring, cash-hungry Disney won't take any chances, can't have anything controversial with this franchise!"

Now half the internet is like, "Please keep Episode IX non-controversial!"

They clearly need some gay characters.

29 minutes ago, John said:

Also, the Resistance's fuel situation isn't the first time being low on fuel has been used as a plot device in a Star Wars movie. In The Phantom Menace, Padme's cruiser doesn't have enough power to get to Coruscant, so Qui-Gon said they needed to make a stop on Tatooine to refuel and get supplies. Therefore, if they had enough power to get to Coruscant, maybe they wouldn't have met Anakin.

And they wouldn't meet Mr. Binks. Wouldn't mind that! ;)