Star Wars IX The Rise of Skywalker (JJ Abrams 2019)

Jay

26 minutes ago, Jurassic Shark said:

Yeah, they don't want to do the same mistakes as were done with Star Trek. ;)

Hey! Star Trek 4 is in production! Discovery season 2 is on it's way and the franchise despite the shitty reception and box office numbers is still alive.

4 hours ago, crumbs said:

Probably a bit of damage control after TLJ seemed to piss a lot of fans off after Luke's death, so announcing it in advance indicates a few things. 1. It's a substantial role and they know they can't keep his presence in England a secret. 2. They probably intend to use him in the marketing, so keeping it a secret was pointless. 

Not necessarily (regarding point 1). His physical appearance in TFA was hardly substantial, yet Hamill was at the table read and in the casting confirmation (obviously some misdirection on the part of marketing/whoever).

Regarding Fisher, I guess they'll have to CG her wardrobe and hair in some way, as her TLJ appearance was quite different from TFA. As for her supposed poor performance in TFA, I never felt it was cringe-worthy, so don't really get the criticism levelled at her for this. I didn't really notice that her TLJ performance was substantially better either, although she did have a bit more to work with in that film.

7 minutes ago, JTWfan77 said:

Regarding Fisher, I guess they'll have to CG her wardrobe and hair in some way, as her TLJ appearance was quite different from TFA. As for her supposed poor performance in TFA, I never felt it was cringe-worthy, so don't really get the criticism levelled at her for this. I didn't really notice that her TLJ performance was substantially better either, although she did have a bit more to work with in that film.

What was cringe-worthy about her performance in TFA was her voice. She sounded like a drug addict.

2 hours ago, Jurassic Shark said:

What was cringe-worthy about her performance in TFA was her voice. She sounded like a drug addict.

Her voice sounded the same in TLJ though. Years of chain-smoking will do that.

54 minutes ago, Jurassic Shark said:

I Think she sounded better in TLJ. 

She did sound more or less the same, but she also was an actual character in The Last Jedi, with dialogue that doesn't sound like a television romance drama interspliced with Star Wars soundbites. Essentially, I think for The Force Awakens they used the same trick for Carrie Fisher as they did Alec Guiness' "cameo".

1 hour ago, Jurassic Shark said:

What do you mean with your last sentence?

They took a line from Alec Guinness in the original and cut it to say "Rey" in the Force Awakens, and I think they did that with Carrie Fisher, but with every line. 

16 minutes ago, Nick Parker said:

They took a line from Alec Guinness in the original and cut it to say "Rey" in the Force Awakens, and I think they did that with Carrie Fisher, but with every line. 

Oh, that. Why do you think they lifted Fisher's lines from old recordings? She sounds as old as she was when TFA was shot.

6 hours ago, Jurassic Shark said:

Harrison Ford and Mark Hamill both sounded like they’ve been chain-smoking cartons of Winnie Blues for the last 40 years as well, why does Carrie have to cop the flak?

3 minutes ago, Docteur Qui said:

Harrison Ford and Mark Hamill both sounded like they’ve been chain-smoking a carton of Winnie Blues for the last 40 years as well, why does Carrie have to cop the flak?

With Mark Hamill it's 'cause he did way too many Joker roles without taking care of his throat! It's a little sad hearing his voice deteriorate over the decades, you think he would've had some echinacea tea over the years. 

With Ford, I don't know what happened to his voice...one year he sounded like he always has, and the next, he sounds like he does now.

Good performances in the new Star Wars movies, though, overall, particularly Hamill.

5 minutes ago, Nick Parker said:

With Ford, I don't know what happened to his voice...one year he sounded like he always has, and the next, he sounds like he does now.

It's called getting old.

9 minutes ago, Docteur Qui said:

Harrison Ford and Mark Hamill both sounded like they’ve been chain-smoking cartons of Winnie Blues for the last 40 years as well, why does Carrie have to cop the flak?

In TFA her voice just gave me the vibe of a drug addict, that's all.

4 minutes ago, Jurassic Shark said:

It's called getting old.

Seriously, though, his voice drastically changed in the course of a year or two!

4 minutes ago, Jurassic Shark said:

In TFA her voice just gave me the vibe of a drug addict, that's all.

Well....

15 minutes ago, Nick Parker said:

With Mark Hamill it's 'cause he did way too many Joker roles without taking care of his throat! It's a little sad hearing his voice deteriorate over the decades, you think he would've had some echinacea tea over the years. 

Good performances in the new Star Wars movies, though, overall, particularly Hamill.

Here’s a hot take: all three actors aged, just as everyone does and just as you will as well. No-one sounds the same between a single decade, let alone 4 of them

Just now, Jurassic Shark said:

Between which films? I have to check this out.

I'm a voice dork, so I've actually been trying to determine the same thing myself. I've whittled it down between 2004-2007, but I have to do more investigating.

11 minutes ago, Nick Parker said:

I'm a voice dork, so I've actually been trying to determine the same thing myself. I've whittled it down between 2004-2007, but I have to do more investigating.

Take it back, it was before then. 

I've met my fair share of drug addicts, to say Carrie Fisher sounded like one is a bit of a stretch (a bit). Maybe if she was more emotionally extreme.

1 hour ago, kaseykockroach said:

They sound an awful lot like guys who love cartoons and beautiful women!

Wait, are you trying to confess something to us?

17 hours ago, Smaug the iron said:

I kind of missed these non-spoiler teasers.  I don't recall many teasers from Johnson while TLJ was in production.  Then again, the years, months and days leading up to TFA were more exciting than TLJ for me.

Ron Howard did so many of these for Solo. Nice to see. I believe that's Finn in the back, according to sources, and possibly Chewbacca. I'm confident J.J will put together a worthy end to the saga, despite what many pouters think.