Star Wars IX The Rise of Skywalker (JJ Abrams 2019)

Jay

I didn’t, I understand his characters role but it could have been handled better.

I see Finn has the reverse Han Solo look going. 

Please no, unless post-production is made back-to-back (including the score). If it isn't back-to-back and Williams agrees to do both separately, then it might at least fill the 2020 void between IX and Indiana Jones 5...

Yeah this could actually be good assuming JW would still score both parts

I think @Steve McQueen is right on the ball in that TLJ ended too un-mysteriously to set up a big, surprising, emotional finale. An extra film to set things up might serve them well.

Of course, this rumor could be total nonsense. 

Well, all of these two-part finale films recently have retained the same composer for both. (Sorry for those who are mad that Desplat did the last Harry Potter 😛)

Honestly, I wondered if they would pull this move for a while, now. I'm opposed to it, but at the same time...I look at Return of the Jedi, and how rushed that film's events were. Of course they could've trimmed a lot of stuff to actually make it a strong finale to the events of the previous film, but I also think that with Episode IX, there's so much that can already be crammed in there that pragmatically, two parts make sense. So then we'll have the OT, the PT, and the SQ.

EDIT: Sorry.

A follow up rumour suggesting a two part final chapter makes sense in that regard. However, it may mean two times the Williams scores and two times the movies, but is it really better and the more sensible option than one single concluding film? I think not, but I stand by eagerly.

10 minutes ago, Jerry said:

Rumour or not, I just read something about Episode IX potentially being one super long movie. A follow up rumour suggesting a two part final chapter makes sense in that regard. However, it may mean two times the Williams scores and two times the movies, but is it really better and the more sensible option than one single concluding film? I think not, but I stand by eagerly.

Source?

Honestly, I am in favor. You’ve got to have a strong setup before a grand final act. Question and answer. Right now there are zero questions on the table. TLJ ended with the characters completely static. All we know for sure is that Kylo and Rey are headed for yet another showdown, which Rey will win. That’s boring, but with only one movie left to go, that’s all that is really set up right now. With an intermediary movie, something more interesting can develop.

4 minutes ago, John said:

Source?

Sorry never mind. It was just the article about this.

http://wegotthiscovered.com/movies/star-wars-episode-ix-longest-movie-franchise/

They said it may be the longest movie. They mean this in alignment with a two part idea.

Wonder if JW will again write more music than the previous film? Never thought he'd top TFA with TLJ (considering the amount of alternates and revisions) but he proved me wrong! 

Wouldn't it make the most since to just do two movies instead of splitting one up? Make Episode IX and then finish your story with Episode X... none of this Episode IX part 1 nonsense. These movies don't have to be forced to contain a 3-movie story arc.

1 hour ago, Fargo said:

Wouldn't it make the most since to just do two movies instead of splitting one up? Make Episode IX and then finish your story with Episode X... none of this Episode IX part 1 nonsense. These movies don't have to be forced to contain a 3-movie story arc.

Not a bad idea. Three trilogies and a big mutha fukka finale.

2 hours ago, Fargo said:

It would make more sense to me. I wonder though. If your cast, composer, etc., are under contract for a single movie, can you use the Part 1/Part 2 nomenclature to squeeze a two-parter out of that contract, or do you have to re-negotiate?

4 minutes ago, mstrox said:

It would make much more sense to me to just do "Episode IX, the final installment of the Skywalker saga" as announced literally only 11 days ago in an official press release. 

ShimmeringInsignificantAlaskajingle-size

The world is a big cow, and Disney's trying to squeeze out all the dairy products they can from us.

Heck, I'll watch any Star Wars movie, but don't break the number one rule of a trilogy. 

Unless this turns out like Harry Potter and one film really does get split down the middle, I have no idea why anyone would be opposed to this rumor. There's nothing sacred or special about trilogies. They should just call these Episodes IX and X and be done with it.

Don't know if I'll ever see these anyway. Still haven't bothered with Solo.

11 hours ago, Nick Parker said:

Good film! Take this from a dude who doesn't care about Star Wars mostly out of the films, never watched Rogue One fully, doesn't watch any of the Marvel Universe films...I just thought it was (mostly) a very well done film starring a dude named Han Solo!

Well the score is pretty great. Maybe I'll find a deal on someone's digital copy code or something.

It did the worst but it was not the worst.

Solo>Attack of the Clones and I'd sooner watch it again than the other two prequel movies.

It was great and a lot of fun. It wasn't high stakes-it didn't need to be. It was a lot of cool, good-natured, call-backing yet new-feeling, funny, epic action laced with the charm and charisma of a great set of characters. The bad part was it was in the shadow of TLJ.

The script has been done for months (which was presumably written for a 2 to 2.5 hour movie), they've started filming and now decided to do a two-parter?  Not likely but I would certainly welcome an additional Star Wars score by Williams!  I don't see the need for two more movies to finish the saga.  TLJ may not have moved the story forward much but what is the story of the ST at this point and what needs to be resolved?  The Resistance will need to "defeat" the First Order (much like the Rebellion in ROTJ) and Rey must either kill Ren or turn him to the light side.  I highly doubt Disney will have Rey turn dark...