Star Wars IX The Rise of Skywalker (JJ Abrams 2019)

Jay

6 minutes ago, Horner's Dynamic Range said:

qckb87ph34611.jpg

Anyone else think this means Justin will be changing his display name to George Lucas' Diet Coca Cola anytime soon?

More than likely.  It's gorgeous design work.

Say what you will about the narrative-character-thematic content of these new films, their technical aspects are second-to-none.

3 minutes ago, Jerry said:

The FX are excellent, the sets nothing less.

The flying archway suugests something hewn out of rock, which is why I though Ahch-To initially.

Yeah it's definitely got a similar "carved out of the natural setting" feel, but is sanded to such a shine and features such ornate latticework carving, it doesn't have the rustic feel of Ahch-To that was befitting of its monastic origins.

14 hours ago, Pellaeon said:

Anything except adhere to the characters and plots of the books.

I started reading those books after watching the film.

They're really, REALLY different, aren't they? I wonder what happened!

33 minutes ago, Pellaeon said:

Hollywood always thinks it knows better.

Truth be told, I do like some of the changes made for that movie; but they're weird all the same.

Especially how they lead to a sequel hook that doesn't seem to fit in any way with the sequel books.

Oh well, we'll never find out where it would have led anyway.

I wanna know what Andrew Stanton is gonna do next.  Is he banned from live-action features for the rest of time after John Carter?  I see that he directed a couple of episodes of Stranger Things season 2 after his "make good" (Finding Dory), but that's it.

I'm sure he'll be back directing live action - he just won't be given a trillion dollar budget.

I'm also interested to see what Brad Bird does next in live action, since Tomorrowland flopped.

Bird's been developing a movie based on the 1906 San Francisco earthquakes for years now, but I guess with Tomorrowland flopping its back-burnered once again.  Now that Incredibles 2 is a hit maybe he will be able to do it?

Yes!  It's so funny how both directed ambitious risky family sci-fi films for Disney, both flopped, and both went back to direct sequels to their biggest Pixar hits to recover.

10 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

Yes!  It's so funny how both directed ambitious risky family sci-fi films for Disney, both flopped, and both went back to direct sequels to their biggest Pixar hits to recover.

And of course both flops feature Giacchino scores that are among his best work.

On 8/15/2018 at 10:01 AM, Disco Stu said:

I wanna know what Andrew Stanton is gonna do next.  Is he banned from live-action features for the rest of time after John Carter?  I see that he directed a couple of episodes of Stranger Things season 2 after his "make good" (Finding Dory), but that's it.

On 8/15/2018 at 10:13 AM, Jay said:

Looks like after Finding Dory he planned to direct live action, but nothing is announced yet

https://www.slashfilm.com/andrew-stanton-live-action/

WOW - I didn't see THIS coming:

Andrew Stanton directed Season 4, Episode 6 of Better Call Saul (airing September 10 2018)

On 8/8/2018 at 8:57 PM, Not Mr. Big said:

They should title the films Episode IXa and Episode IXb

Star Wars: Episode IX, The First of its Name

I like KMT, and for all my problems with TLJ, her character wasn't one of them. She's a good actress, seems like a great person, and I hope we see a lot more of her. And what those online trolls did to her flat out sucked. 

But her reaction here seems to be...er, a little over the top to me. 

Rose was okay in her intro but kissing Finn while potentially killing Leia is 🤮🤮to me cuz honestly OT> PT+ST. Rian Johnson, what were you thinking?

I think her reaction is certainly very emotional.👍 Over the top? Yeah, maybe.👍 Just like her character Rose... 😉

👻