Star Wars IX The Rise of Skywalker (JJ Abrams 2019)

Jay

So we’ve had or will have actors from Game of Thrones, Lord of the Rings, Star Trek and Doctor Who in the sequel trilogy. Even James Bond has been in Star Wars.

Cast Watson and Radcliffe as Rey's Force parents and they’ll have all the big geek franchises covered.

Oh, Domhall Gleason and Warwick Davis were in Harry Potter! 

Ca-ching!

34 minutes ago, Cherry Pie That'll Kill Ya said:

Hehe and piss off the Ron/Hermione shippers.

Hate casting! Totally worth it.

1 hour ago, Nick1066 said:

So we’ve had or will have actors from Game of Thrones, Lord of the Rings, Star Trek and Doctor Who in the sequel trilogy. Even James Bond has been in Star Wars.

At the time of their release, there was only one actor who had appeared in the three most successful movie franchises.

That jungle location looks just like Endor. Disappointing that they were apparently eyeing off Laos before deciding to just film around the corner from Pinewood. 😄

Boring forest locations are pretty tired in SW. Endor, Naboo, Takodana, now this.

13 minutes ago, someonefun124 said:

At least they're not back on Tatooine Jakku. 

...not yet. I could easily see the film's final scene being there, with Rey returning home for some reason.

And the obligatory 736th rendition of Binary Sunset accompanying it.

7 minutes ago, Chen G. said:

Jakku at least looked completely different to how Tatooine looked in Star Wars: the former was much more sandy, the latter more rocky. 

But this? I dunno.

There's some really interesting desert-type landscapes on the planet they've never filmed at sadly. Unfortunately most of them are in "dangerous" countries, which pretty much rules them out for a large English/American film crew. Easier to just CGI it.

Well, there were those interesting early ideas for TFA which never eventuated, involving Rey and Luke/Finn diving into the ruins of the second Death Star (which crashed on Endor) to recover some ancient Sith archives or something.

EDIT:

The Map Was Hidden Inside the Death Star, Now Submerged Under Water

One early idea had a piece of the second Death Star submerged underwater on this junk planet, with Rey going on an adventure to scavenge goods from the old space station. One piece of concept art shows her diving, swimming through the Death Star’s trench. She would find a hidden map inside the Emperor’s tower that would tell us where the Jedi are and where Luke is hiding. Later concept art shows Rey taking the Millennium Falcon underwater to find the Emperor’s chamber submerged deep underwater.

https://www.slashfilm.com/force-awakens-changes/2/

Given that he was brought in at a late phase, its not unreasonable for Abrams to look into his own screenwriting efforts from The Force Awakens. Its not an unknown practice for serialized films, and its not a bad idea, either.

Absolutely, I'd be really surprised if he didn't dive into some of TFA's scrapped ideas. No doubt he's spent the last few years thinking about some things he didn't do that, in hindsight, he wish he had.

It's also good that he read TLJ's script (and consulted with Rian) while he was finishing up on TFA, which means he's probably spent years thinking about how he'd wrap up the trilogy if he got the chance.

I'm currently reading Rinzler's first Making of book and looking at the summaries of Lucas' first drafts, half the bloody universe, mostly the prequels, is just recycled from those.

Oh, I hadn't seen the purpose until now. With just 'the' I thought he was trolling, but purpose makes since with the idea of peace and purpose. Even still, would they really let him do this if it were true.

That's something I noticed when I first saw TFA in theaters. There were several long takes, especially towards the beginning of the film, and it's very refreshing to see those in a big modern blockbuster, as opposed to the constant cross-cutting in most action movies nowadays.