Star Wars IX The Rise of Skywalker (JJ Abrams 2019)

Jay

4 hours ago, dougie said:

I liked the lady with the Dame Edna hairdo.

G'day, possums! Today we're going to show you how to blow The New Order. Sadly Marge isn't around, so I'll have to do it, myself. Here goes, possums. Wish me luck.

#Waltzing Matilda, waltzing Matilda, we'll go a-waltzing Mati-#

2 minutes ago, Richard said:

G'day, possums! Today we're going to show you how to blow The New Order. Sadly Marge isn't around, so I'll have to do it, myself. Here goes, possums. Wish me luck.

#Waltzing Matilda, waltzing Matilda, we'll go a-waltzing Mati-#

EarnestDefenselessBird-max-1mb.gif

4 hours ago, Blumenkohl said:

What did you find beautiful about it?

I can't really explain why I think it's a beautiful shot, but, and especially with the absence of all sound, it took my breath away. I'm not at liberty to explain the physics of this shot, but I do think that, to see most of the New Order get destroyed, like that, is brilliant modern cinema.

@Demodex is right; it looked good.

4 hours ago, Blumenkohl said:

Who asked you?

Come, come, Mr. Blume; young minds, fresh ideas, be tolerant.

3 minutes ago, Ii2 said:

Good to see the unity at the Force.

Although, one would be forgiven for calling out deja vu after seeing Rey in her old garb and hair, with Finn, against a desert backdrop.

Is this going to be yet another third entry that heavily recalls the first one? a-la The Dark Knight Rises, Last Crusade, Return of the Jedi.

7 minutes ago, Chen G. said:

Although, one would be forgiven for calling out deja vu after seeing Rey in her old garb and hair, with Finn, against a desert backdrop.

Maybe it's the final scene of the film? It'd be a poetic way to close the saga, with the main characters on a desert world...

9 minutes ago, Chen G. said:

Shooting the final scene at the actual end of the shoot is quite unusual.

I do think we'll see a strong semblence of The Force Awakens. Its not necessarily a bad thing.

The semblance to TFA will be inevitable, both are JJ Abrams films. 

I don't think it's a great idea, though, to model a new film after your own older film, that is itself modelled rather clumsily after an even much older film. 

Its not just that. In trying to close a trilogy, its very natural to offer something that more closely recalls the first film than the second, as if to book-end the trilogy. Its not necessarily a terribly concious decision: its something that people intuitively hit upon.

Its not good or bad, inherently. It works (albeit in highly different circumstances) in The Last Crusade and it works - I think - in The Dark Knight Rises. Although the same tactic doesn't do Return of the Jedi any favours.

But it is an easy choice to fall back upon.

34 minutes ago, gkgyver said:

I wouldn't call it book-ending, I would call it pandering to the wave of nostalgia remakes in Hollywood.

Oh, I don't necessarily mean that it'll be deriviative of The Force Awakens, but you'll probably see recurring iconography (e.g. a desert planet, the characters' appearance), more callbacks to that particular film, etcetra.

Hurry up JJ, slap that rough cut together and screen some material with Williams ASAP. I know MM said otherwise, but it would be very cool if Williams could start sketching out new themes in the next couple of months! I don't expect any spotting sessions before June but didn't JJ preview some TFA reels for Williams early in post so he could start writing new themes?

Would love a few 'nebulous' themes to close out the saga, given there might be a lack of new characters in significant roles (ala TLJ). Themes along the lines of Luke & Leia or Anakin's Betrayal or Battle of the Heroes, which aren't reliant on new characters but rather the situation our existing characters find themselves in. I could envisage an Heir to the Skywalker type theme for Rey and her ancestry (ala Window to the Past supplanting Harry's existing motifs) if the film further explores her heritage. Even a Ben's Dilemma/Redemption theme if that light/dark subplot bubbles along (I know his B theme served this purpose in TFA/TLJ but I think it's thematically played out after the climax of TLJ).

I guess most people are expecting Kylo's A Theme to transform into a full-blown First Order march after Williams' final treatment of the theme in TLJ. However, he's shown a willingness to subvert our expectations in the two films thus far, so who knows what he has in mind for IX.