Star Wars IX The Rise of Skywalker (JJ Abrams 2019)

Jay

I've never really read anything that suggests any of these creative decisions are coming from Disney, who essentially just hold the purse strings.  All the accounts I've read tell me the buck stops with Kennedy, not Disney higher ups.  It's just like Feige at Marvel.

4 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

I've never really read anything that suggests any of these creative decisions are coming from Disney, who essentially just hold the purse strings.  All the accounts I've read tell me the buck stops with Kennedy, not Disney higher ups.  It's just like Feige at Marvel.

Well, yeah, that's what all the reports say. But remember that a lot of that could be coming from Lucasfilm sources trying to spin things. Iger has said in interviews that he watches the dailies from the set, so he's clearly up to date on production, and if he thinks something's wrong, I don't see why he wouldn't say so.

That said, I would agree that it's likely that Disney rarely exercizes overt influence over decision-making. Kennedy's goals probably mostly align with theirs, anyway. 

1 minute ago, Will said:

Kennedy's goals probably mostly align with theirs, anyway. 

This is probably true.  Although I will also say that every interview I've ever read or seen with her going back 30 years tells me that her goals are always to make a film as good as immediately possible.  This is why she is a consummate producer.  This is really her first role as a true executive, not just heading up a production company.

13 hours ago, Jay said:

The general trend of sacking directors who don't conform to a singular vision is somewhat alarming I suppose

I suspect it has a lot more to do with the lack of an initial singular vision in the first place.

"Do your thing"

"Ok"

"No not that!"

I don't want to trawl this thread. Is it confirmed that Colin Trevorrow is no longer working on Star Wars?

Vulture is claiming Trevorrow had an ego problem

“During the making of Jurassic World, he focused a great deal of his creative energies on asserting his opinion,” the executive explains. “But because he had been personally hired by Spielberg, nobody could say, ‘You’re fired.’ Once that film went through the roof and he chose to do Henry, [Trevorrow] was unbearable. He had an egotistical point of view— and he was always asserting that.”

“When the reviews for Book of Henry came out, there was immediately conjecture that Kathy was going to dump him because they weren’t thrilled with working with him anyway,” the executive continues. “He’s a difficult guy. He’s really, really, really confident. Let’s call it that.”

“There’s one gatekeeper when it comes to Star Wars and it’s Kathleen Kennedy,” says a veteran movie producer, who has worked with the studio chief. “If you rub Kathleen Kennedy the wrong way — in any way — you’re out. You’re done. A lot of these young, new directors want to come in and say, ‘I want to do this. I want to do that.’ A lot of these guys — Lord and Miller, Colin Trevorrow — got very rich, very fast and believed a lot of their own hype. And they don’t want to play by the rules. They want to do shit differently. And Kathleen Kennedy isn’t going to fuck around with that.”

21 minutes ago, mrbellamy said:

Vulture is claiming Trevorrow had an ego problem

“There’s one gatekeeper when it comes to Star Wars and it’s Kathleen Kennedy,” says a veteran movie producer, who has worked with the studio chief. “If you rub Kathleen Kennedy the wrong way — in any way — you’re out. You’re done. A lot of these young, new directors want to come in and say, ‘I want to do this. I want to do that.’ A lot of these guys — Lord and Miller, Colin Trevorrow — got very rich, very fast and believed a lot of their own hype. And they don’t want to play by the rules. They want to do shit differently. And Kathleen Kennedy isn’t going to fuck around with that.”

This is totally Frank Marshall, right? :P 

Who are you talking to right now? Who is it you think you see? Do you know how much I make a year? I mean, even if I told you, you wouldn't believe it. Do you know what would happen if I suddenly decided to stop going into work? A business big enough that it could be listed on the NASDAQ goes belly up. Disappears! It ceases to exist without me. No, you clearly don't know who you're talking to, so let me clue you in. I am not in danger, Colin. I am the danger. A director opens his door and gets fired and you think that of me? No. I am the one who knocks!

I think not everyone is as fanboyishly attached to Star Wars and Disney and Kennedy specifically want the new Star Wars to be a fanboy version of Star Wars. All these fired directors are like Carol Anne chewing on the Luke Skywalker toy. To your average person, this is funny. But Disney wants someone who views the child chewing on the Luke doll as a sin against the holy Star Wars.

DVD+Snap+1%23456.jpg

I've spoken.

That's true, Trevorrow doesn't seem like much of a Star Wars fanboy....

When I found out that they were going to do Star Wars movies, I think it was in November, October 2012, I went down to the beach. I had this, almost like spiritual experience...I went to the beach and I called everyone that I've ever met, everyone I've ever known, definitely all my good friends, and I said "Look, I'm going to do this, I'm going to direct a Star Wars movie because that is what I truly believe I am here to do." Not in an arrogant way [laughs] like, really, really deeply, I believed it. Not that I was gonna do that one cause I knew that was crazy and sure enough, I wasn't in the running for that one. But just in the same way that I'm sure Rian and Gareth and a lot of the other, Phil and Chris, and even JJ, I'm sure they had to at least have a moment where they felt "Oh, this is why this timing, this is why I was born at the time I was!"

It was kind of my last moment of childhood optimism. I wouldn't ever think that way now. But at that moment, I'll never forget it.

46 minutes ago, mrbellamy said:

He failed Kathleen Kennedy's Carol Anne test. She pulls the directors aside and shows them the clip from Poltergeist. Trevorrow laughed. "You think this is funny? That's a vintage 1977 Luke Skywalker action figure! You're fired!"

Very few "experimental" films turn out to be good, so not breaking the mold does make sense from both a story-telling perspective.

If you saw Book of Henry, you saw a film about a director/writer who simply does not understand basic human emotions and interactions.  There is a high probability that his drafts of SW exhibited that same blind-spot and it was time for LFL to cut its losses. 

The real mistake in all of this was hiring the guy in the first place. 

When I found out that they were going to do Star Wars movies, I think it was in November, October 2012, I went down to the beach. I had this, almost like spiritual experience...I went to the beach and I called everyone that I've ever met, everyone I've ever known, definitely all my good friends, and I said "Look, I'm going to do this, I'm going to direct a Star Wars movie because that is what I truly believe I am here to do." Not in an arrogant way [laughs] like, really, really deeply, I believed it. Not that I was gonna do that one cause I knew that was crazy and sure enough, I wasn't in the running for that one. But just in the same way that I'm sure Rian and Gareth and a lot of the other, Phil and Chris, and even JJ, I'm sure they had to at least have a moment where they felt "Oh, this is why this timing, this is why I was born at the time I was!"

It was kind of my last moment of childhood optimism. I wouldn't ever think that way now. But at that moment, I'll never forget it.

This guy sounds fucking insufferable. It's just fucking Star Wars mate, you're not curing cancer. Clearly has a high opinion of himself and his mediocre filmography.

So I couldn't be happier to see him booted off the film. It speaks volumes about Kathy Kennedy's ruthlessness, who probably hired him off the basis of recommendations from her husband and Spielberg.

Back to IX, someone else floated an idea I'd also had: Michelle Maclaren directing from a Rian Johnson script, if he doesn't feel he can write the screenplay from scratch and direct pre-production simultaneously. That would be a tough gig for a film this size, with only 27 months until release (assuming the film is pushed to Dec 2019).

1 hour ago, Sally Spectra said:

But Jurassic World made $1.6 billion!

It is extremely mediocre. 

8 hours ago, mrbellamy said:

I think a lot of these young upstarts forget who is boss when it comes to Star Wars. Kennedy is not pulling punches here and will bring the hammer down if she is crossed. I trust her - she really has made some very good films and is one of the most respected figures in the industry. Let's just say her experience far outstrips the experience of any of these guys.

Why hire these directors months/years  in advance of pre-production if they're not the right fit. Kennedy's impetus was to find fresh, innovative directors that would rekindle the fire in Star Wars, she isn't wrong on that point, J.J. and Johnson have clearly pulled through, but why not go with more experienced heavyweights of the film world if you want assurance, especially at this level, that your film will align with your vision. 

Even if it's true Trevorrow is an egotistical upstart, I think Kennedy and Co. have already run into a problem of hiring people based on nothing more than their successes as an indie director, or the simple connection of (Trevorrow) directing the last blockbuster. The fact Jurassic World was a blockbuster says nothing to me about his talents as a director

Which is why I have stated before that these executive decisions are a misplaced hope in financial ventures, before creative ones. 

Haha, I just read the official statement on Starwars.com I hadn't read before

A STATEMENT REGARDING STAR WARS: EPISODE IX

Lucasfilm and Colin Trevorrow have mutually chosen to part ways on Star Wars: Episode IX. Colin has been a wonderful collaborator throughout the development process but we have all come to the conclusion that our visions for the project differ. We wish Colin the best and will be sharing more information about the film soon.

http://www.starwars.com/news/a-statement-regarding-star-wars-episode-ix

Mutually chosen my ass!

4 hours ago, Disco Stu said:

He's no Richard Marquand!!

Definitely not. Trevorrow at least gets performances out of his actors from what I've seen. Marquand wasn't suited to the material at all. He did what George wanted him to do, which was to follow the script and get the actors to say their lines. But it's evident watching the film that the cast was generally not motivated at all. Jedi is a boring meandering film with Ewoks.

It was my favorite as a kid 100% because of the Tatooine section.  I was fascinated by Jabba and the palace and all those weird aliens.  This is of course with Lapti Nek and no CG eyesores.

I've never understood people who think it's been on the same level as the first two. Any scene that doesn't have Luke and Vader both in it is just dull and feels like filler.

The film was very obviously designed to market alien toys. I had many of the vintage action figures when I was a little squirt, although Leia in bounty hunter disguise and Chief Chirpa played the roles of Cindel and Wicket.

The last few times I tried to watch Return of the Jedi, I started drifting off in the middle portion (end of Jabba's palace through the floating 3PO scene).  Not a good stretch for a Star Wars movie.  Until I was a teenager, it was my favorite one, though.