Star Wars IX The Rise of Skywalker (JJ Abrams 2019)

Jay

I just hope this more or less confirms JW will come back (with the comfortability of having worked with JJ already) and all the platitudes after TFA weren't just JW being diplomatic about their collaboration.

I still think that whole production was difficult for JW, with all the editorial changes and not being able to watch the entire film before starting his score. It was a silly way to write and it's pretty incredible how it turned out (considering). I'm not loving the idea of that process repeating for his final Star Wars score, especially if the conventionally scored TLJ is a revelation by comparison.

Outside of Jedi Steps, JJ's style really didn't allow the music to breathe properly, and constantly rewriting cues due to tonal changes and erratic direction would've been exhausting and frustrating.

And that isn't factoring the amount of editing, tracking and poor mixing the score suffered in the final cut. So hopefully JJ will have more assured directing next time and won't be cutting right until the last weeks of post.

I thought JJ's editing team worked on one reel at a time, regardless of the film. It will likely be the same process as TFA, though maybe they'll have more reels finished before showing JW anything.

JW may prefer the film is in a less fluid state when he starts writing this one, to avoid another avalanche of revisions. He might like scoring for Rey but I doubt another 3 hours of music is high on his agenda to finish the saga.

9 minutes ago, crumbs said:

I thought JJ's editing team worked on one reel at a time, regardless of the film. It will likely be the same process as TFA, though maybe they'll have more reels finished before showing JW anything.

JW may prefer the film is in a less fluid state when he starts writing this one, to avoid another avalanche of revisions. He might like scoring for Rey but I doubt another 3 hours of music is high on his agenda to finish the saga.

Probably not. The character of Rey was largely the reason he came back for VII, and it very much showed in his music. Not that VII's music wasn't great, mind you. 

13 minutes ago, crumbs said:

I just hope this more or less confirms JW will come back (with the comfortability of having worked with JJ already) and all the platitudes after TFA weren't just JW being diplomatic about their collaboration.

I still think that whole production was difficult for JW, with all the editorial changes and not being able to watch the entire film before starting his score. It was a silly way to write and it's pretty incredible how it turned out (considering). I'm not loving the idea of that process repeating for his final Star Wars score, especially if the conventionally scored TLJ is a revelation by comparison.

Outside of Jedi Steps, JJ's style really didn't allow the music to breathe properly, and constantly rewriting cues due to tonal changes and erratic direction would've been exhausting and frustrating.

And that isn't factoring the amount of editing, tracking and poor mixing the score suffered in the final cut. So hopefully JJ will have more assured directing next time and won't be cutting right until the last weeks of post.

They seemed to really get along in the 60 Minutes preview and the way they spoke about each other, and Williams seemed genuinely excited about the project as a whole. I doubt it was just PR or that his comments about the mix/editing came from a place of serious frustration. The treatment of TFA's score was absolutely nothing out of the ordinary for him. And as far as the scoring process goes, I'm guessing he didn't love the rewrites or how the film was edited, but I think he was honest when he considered it a luxury to have all year with multiple sessions, especially when his surgery became an issue. 

I dunno, if anything, I feel like if he was having second thoughts for any reason about his ability or desire to do IX at this point, JJ would be one of the most effective motivators. 

I'm sure a more inspiring film/filmmaker/franchise would bring us a much better Williams score. That so many here are content with such pale self imitations speaks more of the fact how long he hasn't scored a groundbreaking film.

Kinda funny they chose not to announce it with the JJ announcement, but waited until 4 hours later for whatever reason.

9 minutes ago, azahid said:

Its ' JJ Baby' time..

Heh heh. He'll receive a note from Williams soon.

"JJ Angel Babycakes, so glad to have you back"

Crap. Terrible news (except for the December release, which I don't mind). Not that I didn't like TFA, but I don't get the sense that Abrams will have anything more to "say" here. It's not bad news per se, but it fails to inspire any excitement, which virtually any other choice would have done. 

Just now, Will said:

Crap. Terrible news (except for the December release, which I don't mind). Not that I didn't like TFA, but I don't get the sense that Abrams will have anything more to "say" here. It's not bad news per se, but it fails to inspire any excitement, which virtually any other choice would have done. 

Will.  We all know you'll get yourself worked up into a tizzy of excitement.  It's what you do.  You'll make it work!  At least I hope so, we need the unbridled enthusiasm around here.

Disney must have made JJ an offer he couldn't refuse. 

49 minutes ago, publicist said:

I'm sure a more inspiring film/filmmaker/franchise would bring us a much better Williams score. That so many here are content with such pale self imitations speaks more of the fact how long he hasn't scored a groundbreaking film.

'Inspiring' is not what Disney is looking for. 'Tame' is more like up their alley.

3 minutes ago, Will said:

Is the news exciting? Certainly not. Reassuring? Yes, for me at least. We at least know that the final chapter of this new trilogy will be handled by someone who has had previous experience with the saga, and treats the series with reverence and respect.

2 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

JJ can make a competent film.  Trevorrow cannot.

A backhanded compliment if there ever was one. Even worse, that these are 'just' kid's movies is an excuse now that they are bereft of any ideas or freshness.

Personally for me, I'm more worried about the writing of Episode 9 than the directing.  JJ's directing style on a technical level doesn't bother me, but the things that happens in some of his films is so stupid and you wonder why he agreed to film them instead of having them rewritten

I swear I get the sense from his films that Trevorrow lacks empathy.  He seems to hate his characters or disrespects their humanity.  Never quite been able to put my finger on it.

1 minute ago, publicist said:

A backhanded compliment if there ever was one. Even worse, that these are 'just' kid's movies is an excuse now that they are bereft of any ideas or freshness.

I suppose it's a backhanded compliment.  But Abrams can make a movie I enjoy and can watch more than once happily.  That's fine in my book.  I love original and fresh, but don't require it for enjoyment.