Star Wars IX The Rise of Skywalker (JJ Abrams 2019)

Jay

1 minute ago, Jay said:

Personally for me, I'm more worried about the writing of Episode 9 than the directing.  JJ's directing style on a technical level doesn't bother me, but the things that happens in some of his films is so stupid and you wonder why he agreed to film them instead of having them rewritten

Yes! as a director he's a safe pair of hands (quoted from @Quintus). But his instincts for the scripts are...faulty.

2 minutes ago, Jay said:

Personally for me, I'm more worried about the writing of Episode 9 than the directing.  JJ's directing style on a technical level doesn't bother me, but the things that happens in some of his films is so stupid and you wonder why he agreed to film them instead of having them rewritten

Yes, the script of any Star Wars movie is way more important than who directs it.  The director is almost perfunctory (almost).  Story and character matter much more.

1 minute ago, Stefancos said:

Gotta wonder though, seeing as JJ signed up just days after Trevorrow got sacked if they hadnt casually inquired as to his willingless to direct Ep 9 before news broke?

Oh god, are you kidding right now?  Of course everyone at Disney knew JJ was directing this long before the public announcement

5 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

Yes, the script of any Star Wars movie is way more important than who directs it.  The director is almost perfunctory (almost).  Story and character matter much more.

Yea, the new cast they assembled for ep 7 is great and the clear highlight of the whole production; All you need to do is write them good things to do and have great production /  set / costume designers, and cinematographer (and composer), and a director who knows about to oversee it all and not try to radically depart from what a SW movie is and it will be fine.

A big flaw of Episode 7, apart from the rehashing, is the lack of solid world building.  You had elements that tried but came off as marketing for side comics (like Max Von Sydow at the beginning), or characters that could be introduced to be important later like Maz who just kinda show up then disappear.  You got Rey's parentage being set up as a mystery to be solved in a later movie but with so few characters anyway, the answer will only disappoint, etc.

I hope Rian's Ep 8 script makes some sense out of the Ep 7 scraps of info.

About JJ's direction qualities, I saw Super 8 and thought it was very chaotic (just like his Star Trek movies). What I'm saying is, give Star Wars to the Duffer Brothers (Stranger Things) and I'm sure it will be better than whatever JJ comes up with. I wasn't really a fan of Stranger Things but at least the direction was more heartfelt and less telexed.

2 minutes ago, BloodBoal said:

The score Giacchino did for that one Trevorrow flick was better than any of the scores he did for Abrams-directed movies!

You think the score to Jurassic World is better than the score to Super 8? 

Wow!

I'm just surprised, BB!

For someone who loves John Carter and Jupiter Ascending so much, I'd think Super 8 would be more to your liking than Jurassic World, is all

51 minutes ago, BloodBoal said:

The score Giacchino did for that one Trevorrow flick was better than any of the scores he did for Abrams-directed movies!

Eh, I think in terms of how they use music and what they've gotten out of Gia, they're about equal. Neither are all that interesting, tbh, Abrams just takes the edge for me on this purely because of the relevance of his collaboration with Williams.

Actually when it comes to collaborating with Gia or Williams, and plenty of other reasons, I would have been more excited by Brad Bird.

1 hour ago, Stefancos said:

Yes! as a director he's a safe pair of hands (quoted from @Quintus). But his instincts for the scripts are...faulty.

That was you who said that not me!

I replied to you that I'd rather have Abrams than Trevorrow, but really it's a shrug from me either way.

2 minutes ago, Richard said:

I agree with Lee. I've all but lost interest in anything SW. Maybe I'm beginning to dislike it, or maybe it simply does not have the same significance that it used to do. Either way this news is just...news.

And when a woman became the star of the beloved sci-fi franchise,  I'm sensing a pattern here....

11 minutes ago, Quintus said:

That was you who said that not me!

Are you sure about that Quint?

http://www.jwfan.com/forums/index.php?/topic/25754-star-wars-episode-vii-the-force-awakens-jj-abrams-2015/&do=findComment&comment=1240855

10 minutes ago, Stefancos said:

Wrong! You made the "safe pair of hands" remark almost 2 years ago now.

August 2016 was one year ago, Stef.

2 minutes ago, Jay said:

For the first time ever you made me nurse a semi, Jason!

1 minute ago, Jay said:

August 2016 was one year ago, Stef.

And now it's gone again....

1 hour ago, Disco Stu said:

Will.  We all know you'll get yourself worked up into a tizzy of excitement.  It's what you do.  You'll make it work!  At least I hope so, we need the unbridled enthusiasm around here.

You needn't worry - I will most certainly be gushing about every trailer and TV spot as we get closer. ;)

Just not yet. Right now I'm just disappointed that likely the last chance ever for Williams to work with a new director has been lost (and, likewise, that what will likely be the most important Disney Star Wars film made will have a returning, rather "safe" director). 

3 minutes ago, Stefancos said:

Even after news that Trevorrow was apparently a bit of a twat?

Oh, I wasn't necessarily referring to losing Trevorrow (although I probably would have preferred him over Abrams simply because it would have been more fun to have someone new). Even after firing Trevorrow, they could still have selected someone who hadn't done SW before (even though it was unlikely). 

2 minutes ago, Jay said:

These words really don't belong together

Suit yourself. Me, I'm loving every minute of this SW decade. :)

I do anticipate that at some point it will start to get stale (and I can already feel a little bit of that creeping in), but that's really still a ways away. I'll definitely be a megafan until at least 2019. 

You know, I'm really getting saturated of reading posts about how Disney is making Star Wars riskless and cutty cutter, with no edge. And I might even agree to a certain extent. But it's always the same argument being thrown around. The same comments being made

Just now, Richard said:

They used to, Jay: THE OLD MILL; SNOW WHITE... SLEEPING BEAUTY; LADY AND THE TRAMP - all technical milestones in one way or another.

What does any of that have to do with Star Wars?

Just now, Romão said:

You know, I'm really getting saturated of reading posts about how Disney is making Star Wars riskless and cutty cutter, with no edge. And I might even agree to a certain extent. But it's always the same argument being thrown around. The same comments being made

Yes and it always ends up way overstating things.

15 minutes ago, Will said:

...although I probably would have preferred him over Abrams simply because it would have been more fun to have someone new.

I wouldn't exactly call preferring a rather mediocre, hit-and-miss (miss, more often than not) director, over one that has proven reliable when it comes to making quality movies, "fun". When it comes to a franchise as influential as Star Wars, I'd vastly prefer practical cautiousness over rash experimenting with inferior directors, especially ones that are fresh off their latest film which happens to be both a critical and commercial failure.

2 minutes ago, Romão said:

But it's always the same argument being thrown around. The same comments being made

I saw Star Wars threads as if I had already read them. An endless parade of riskless and cutty cutter, lens flares and no edge. Always the same narrow people, the same mindless chatter. I felt like I was standing at a great precipice, with no one to pull me back. No one who cared…or even noticed.