Star Wars IX The Rise of Skywalker (JJ Abrams 2019)

Jay

3 minutes ago, Stefancos said:

Yes they are! Failed experiments, IMO. But still...

If the prequels weren't so awkwardly wooden (the dialogue and characters), they would be loved much more.

3 minutes ago, Stefancos said:

Disney doesnt really understand star wars

If they did, they would realize that each Star Wars film needs a epic lightsaber duel. Let's hope Richie Cunningham knows better!

15 minutes ago, Alexcremers said:

If they did, they would realize that each Star Wars film needs a epic lightsaber duel. Let's hope Richie Cunningham knows better!

He'll definitely have Han using his Jedi powers with a lifesaver.

8 hours ago, Alexcremers said:

Great! (but isn't that exactly what I said?)

Please don't generalize the people who are disappointed with Disney Star Wars. Just the other day, I wrote that I would prefer the Duffer 'Stranger Things' Brothers (they love nostalgia too) over JJ Abrams so Star Wars might be more heartfelt and less telexed. Does that sound like I think of Star Wars as if it's a Tarkovsky saga?!  

How am I generalizing? I merely deducted from your previous post that you love Disney Star Wars and that you are not alone. Sure, maybe you don't like to celebrate on Yub Nub but that wasn't meant to be taken seriously. 

Is Star Wars that important to you?

I really TFA's character and mostly what it set up, although I recognize the movie had some issues, particularly in the second half. But I'm really curious with what Rian Johnson will do with it. I really disliked Rogue One. So it's not like I love everything that's Star Wars related. I simply won't expect the worst simply because Disney is the studio behind it. Specially in the case of Episode VIII, where I think they actually made an interesting and intriguing choice of writer/director.

2 hours ago, Alexcremers said:

Compared to TFA, the prequels are almost experimental movies.

Even though I don't think they are boring, they do suffer from a severe case of 'woodenness'. That's the one thing Abrams has solved. 

Woodeness are bad acting are from being the only issued in the prequels. There's a lot of plot and very little story. The fan service was much worse in the prequels

2 hours ago, Stefancos said:

Disney doesnt really understand star wars

To tell you the truth, I don't think Lucas understands it either. Lucas strikes me as the sort of person that if he were a woman and went out clubbing with a huge cleveage and kiwi-colored lipstick and got the all the atention and flirtation from the men in the club and went back there the next day with no cleaveage and using the kiwi-colored lipstick, thinking that was the one thing that had men so interested

Imagine how many kiwis out there, bird and fruit alike, must feel offended right now. Being compared to the color of lipstick George Lucas would wear if he were a female; unthinkable!

It is kinda weird that JJ didn't take on anything directing-wise after TFA, but it isn't really that big a deal that he's grabbed IX if his deal expires early next year anyway. And it's not like he hasn't been making movies for Paramount, he just hasn't been directing them.

Calling JJ a dick for this is absurd. The only person who should give a shit are Paramount execs.

3 hours ago, Jay said:

Well, I think it's clear he didn't decide to direct another movie because he saw the writing on the wall about Trevorrow and Episode 9.

I'm not sure the timing really makes sense there. Hypothetically, he'd have been planning his next film as soon as TFA was finished. Trevorrow being ousted probably didn't seem like a possibility until a few months ago. And even if JJ magically predicted he'd have that opening, he still could have made another film in the time between TFA and IX.

Most likely he just wanted some time off.

I reckon Disney and Co. told him to keep his schedule clear just in case. Abrams produced a few things in between TFA and now, 10 Cloverfield Lane and Westworld come to mind, so he wasn't exactly hanging around with his hands in his pockets.

11 hours ago, JohnSolo said:

I find it rather difficult to imagine Abrams helming a film that is not a resurrection/reboot of a previous, well-known franchise.

That's what Super 8 was.

Cue people saying, "but it was just aping the 80s Amblin style!"

Then I point out that it's a very personal movie to Abrams and the first movie he both wrote and directed.  Then the anti-Abrams faction goes blah blah blah.

I love Super 8.

When he got signed on for The Force Awakens, he was apparently about to start a big vacation from all work, but got roped in.  I'm sure a large chunk of his non-movie time was spent with family.  The rest - producing, and probably developing a movie that hadn't gotten the greenlight yet.  It seems like it's been a while, but it's only been two years since TFA.

The acting in the prequels is consistent with the OT. Mark and Carrie were wooden and awkward. Harrison Ford in the first one is quite bad at many points. He's like a completely different character in Empire