Star Wars IX The Rise of Skywalker (JJ Abrams 2019)

Jay

17 minutes ago, crumbs said:

It would be a fun twist if Ren actually betrays and murders Snoke in Episode VIII, usurping him as leader of the First Order. Otherwise it's going to be very hard for IX to avoid repeating ROTJ with the Emperor storyline -- with Snoke as the Emperor, Ren as Vader and Rey as Luke.

Ren needs to be beyond redemption in this trilogy IMHO, and double down on the evilness.

There's one other way to do it that I would really enjoy. I'm going to put it in spoiler tags even though it's completely a fan theory right now with zero actual evidence:

Spoiler

What if Kylo = Snape and Han = Dumbledore? In other words, what if Kylo is actually a deep cover agent working for Luke to take down Snoke, and he only killed Han because he had to as part of his plan? 

This would cast all his TFA scenes in a stunning new light. For example, the scene where he speaks to Vader's mask: What if, when he says "I will finish what you started," he really means "I will finish balancing the Force, a job you started when you destroyed the Sith by killing the Emperor." What if when he talks about trying to resist the pull to the light, he really means that he's afraid Snoke will find him out if he stops acting evil? What if his desperation to find the map is not because he wants to kill Luke, but rather because he wants to rejoin forces with him? What if the "destruction of Luke's temple" was really just a staged cover for the start of their plan? What if, when he tells Han "I'm being torn apart ... I know what I have to do but I don't know if I have the strength to do it. Will you help me?" the reason he's conflicted is that he knows he has to kill Han to prove to Snoke his commitment to the dark side. He doesn't want to kill his father, but he has to in order to stay undercover. 

Of course, there are still deaths like those of Lor San Tekka that are even harder to rectify with the theory of Kylo as a good guy, although I have seen it theorized that perhaps Kylo is letting the dark side consume him in order to stay convincing to Snoke, a job that would be difficult if he didn't legitimately try to be evil. 

Additionally, Kylo seems to have a legitimate dislike of his father -- clearly this isn't staged. However, it's still theoretically possible that he's sided with Luke despite a falling out with Han. 

Certainly, it's all a little farfetched, but it's one of the more interesting routes they could go. I really don't want them to just copy ROTJ, nor would it be particularly satisfying to have Kylo stay dark, IMO. 

Now I want to add one note about a possible major spoiler for TLJ!!

Spoiler

It's rumored that at some point in the film Rey and Ren have a conversation of some sort on Ahch-To. It would be awfully strange for them to do this if Ren was still evil. Furthermore, I cannot see how Ren could switch from dark to light in only half a film. Thus, I think it is actually reasonable to conclude that Ren was good all along, although it is by no means a forgone conclusion. 

4 hours ago, Will said:

There's one other way to do it that I would really enjoy. I'm going to put it in spoiler tags even though it's completely a fan theory right now with zero actual evidence:

Hide contents

What if Kylo = Snape and Han = Dumbledore? In other words, what if Kylo is actually a deep cover agent working for Luke to take down Snoke, and he only killed Han because he had to as part of his plan? 

This would cast all his TFA scenes in a stunning new light. For example, the scene where he speaks to Vader's mask: What if, when he says "I will finish what you started," he really means "I will finish balancing the Force, a job you started when you destroyed the Sith by killing the Emperor." What if when he talks about trying to resist the pull to the light, he really means that he's afraid Snoke will find him out if he stops acting evil? What if his desperation to find the map is not because he wants to kill Luke, but rather because he wants to rejoin forces with him? What if the "destruction of Luke's temple" was really just a staged cover for the start of their plan? What if, when he tells Han "I'm being torn apart ... I know what I have to do but I don't know if I have the strength to do it. Will you help me?" the reason he's conflicted is that he knows he has to kill Han to prove to Snoke his commitment to the dark side. He doesn't want to kill his father, but he has to in order to stay undercover. 

Of course, there are still deaths like those of Lor San Tekka that are even harder to rectify with the theory of Kylo as a good guy, although I have seen it theorized that perhaps Kylo is letting the dark side consume him in order to stay convincing to Snoke, a job that would be difficult if he didn't legitimately try to be evil. 

Additionally, Kylo seems to have a legitimate dislike of his father -- clearly this isn't staged. However, it's still theoretically possible that he's sided with Luke despite a falling out with Han. 

Certainly, it's all a little farfetched, but it's one of the more interesting routes they could go. I really don't want them to just copy ROTJ, nor would it be particularly satisfying to have Kylo stay dark, IMO. 

Now I want to add one note about a possible major spoiler for TLJ!!

Hide contents

It's rumored that at some point in the film Rey and Ren have a conversation of some sort on Ahch-To. It would be awfully strange for them to do this if Ren was still evil. Furthermore, I cannot see how Ren could switch from dark to light in only half a film. Thus, I think it is actually reasonable to conclude that Ren was good all along, although it is by no means a forgone conclusion. 

JJ isn’t that clever. 

I reckon there's a whiteboard at Disney which JJ is staring at right now, with the plot of ROTJ broken down into pieces. He will be working out exactly how to do the exact opposite of everything ROTJ did.

He would be acutely aware of the criticisms he faced for TFA copying ANH and he'll be wanting to avoid a repeat IMHO. One thing is for sure: there won't be a Starkiller V2!

I'm sure they have very broad strokes of where they want it to go, Kennedy once said 7 was Ford's movie, 8 is Mark's (hope this doesn't mean Luke dies so soon) ans 9 was going to be Carrie's, but that's obviously not going to happen now. However, Rian said he had completely free hands.

Film trilogies is rarely are mapped out from the beginning, even in the broadest of strokes. At best, they have an idea for what each film will be. but an idea isn't a story. Far from it!

The exception are films made simultaneously like Lord of the Rings, The Hobbit, Pirates 2 and 3, Superman 1 and 2, etc....

As does all of Hollywood, with the few exceptions I mentioned.

Its what George Lucas did with his films, too. Or do you think the incest in Empire Strikes Back (of which there was a lot more left on the cutting room's floor, thankfully) was intentional? Or Qui-Gon Jinn? Watching Star Wars, there are no two films that feel like they were cut from the same cloth, continuity-wise.

If Luke survives Episode VIII, I reckon they'll just switch the intended storyline for Leia to him. Obviously Luke's character can't carry the same gravitas as a mother desperately rescuing her son from the dark side, but it's not as if there's nothing to work with between Ben and Luke. Ben betrayed Luke by turning to the dark side; he destroyed everything Luke achieved with the new Jedi Academy and murdered all his padawans. So distraught by Ben's betrayal, Luke decided the Jedi were better off extinct than being rediscovered (which presumably forms the core of VIII's plot).

They would have re-shot the ending of VIII if Luke died. There's no way IX doesn't feature a Legacy character carrying the story to its conclusion; the Skywalker story is the core of the series from the start; assuming Rey isn't Luke's daughter then he needs to complete the Skywalker arc in IX.

I would love to be surprised but I just can't think of any way to make Leia's story satisfying without any role in IX. An off-screen death would be really awkward (although maybe I'm underestimating Lucasfilm). 

The best idea I've seen was to try to use old footage and some CGI to give her a very small role in IX (e.g. a hologram discovered after her death). But then KK denied that in an interview. 

They won't recast, they've admitted as much.

There'll be a time jump between VIII and IX and they'll probably open with a funeral or something (complete with holographic Leia atop a casket or something, as Luke, Rey and the remaining Resistance generals console one another).

The crawl will mention the First Order have taken a big scalp in their war against the Resistance (assassinating Leia) and that will trigger the Galactic war to end all wars. My hope is this becomes the motivating factor for Luke's arc in IX; vengeance will carry him through the film and he will finally succumb to the Dark Side (after losing his New Jedi Academy, his best friend and his sister, all as a result of taking Ben Solo under his wing).

Maybe the plot of IX will actually revolve around Rey turning him back to the Light. It would be refreshing if something totally unexpected happens in VIII, like Snoke or Ren betraying one another and murdering the other as a power grab.

16 hours ago, Will said:

Reveal hidden contents

This is literally the plot to the EU comic book Dark Empire

PORG, ACTUALLY

PORGHEART

FOUR WEDDINGS AND A PORG

BLACK PORG DOWN

INTERPORGER (ouch!)

STAR TREK II: THE PORG OF KAHN

STAR TREK III: THE SEARCH FOR PORG

STAR TREK VI: THE UNDISCOVERED PORG

PORGSLAYER

THE THIRD PORG