Star Wars IX The Rise of Skywalker (JJ Abrams 2019)

Jay

The TLJ is just bad, bad storytelling: a) it is contradictory, and b) it is not even necessary.  It is as if Johnson wanted all the big meaningful moments in his film, even if they did not fit (cf. the entire Luke storyline).  

20 minutes ago, kaseykockroach said:

Or Finn can be polyamorous and date Rose, Rey and Poe.

Tumblr would EXPLODE!

19 minutes ago, Margo Channing said:

I like Finn and Rey. But he seems to have more chemistry with Rose.

^^^^

Outside of the whole silly "boyfriend? you got a boyfriend?" thing when they first introduce themselves in TFA, it was framed as a platonic relationship which delivered character resolution.  For Finn, Rey was a cause worth fighting for.  For Rey, Finn was the person who came back for her, and when she found out about his plan on Starkiller Base, the result was a nice platonic hug, not a big dippin' kiss.

Yeah, there's really nothing in the way of romantic tension there, and its all the better for it, too.

Although they've kind of written Rey into a corner in the sense that its hard to imagine her in a romance of any kind, really.

1 hour ago, Tom said:

The TLJ is just bad, bad storytelling: a) it is contradictory, and b) it is not even necessary.  It is as if Johnson wanted all the big meaningful moments in his film, even if they did not fit (cf. the entire Luke storyline).  

As such, it's a reflection of the real world.

1 hour ago, Nick Parker said:

Extended conversation to be seen in boxset release: 

Finn: "How did you know her name?"

Poe: "She talks in her sleep."

Oh, the implications...

15 minutes ago, Chen G. said:

Yeah, there's really nothing in the way of romantic tension there, and its all the better for it, too.

Although they've kind of written Rey into a corner in the sense that its hard to imagine her in a romance of any kind, really.

What about Rey and Rose?

You don't necessarily need too many deaths to create a sense of finality.

But yes, if this last film is to have any sense of heft, some of our main cast should meet their end.

On the one hand, it makes sense for Rey to be it. But on the other hand, it would only solidify the Marry Sue narrative, because that's literally what happens to the original Marry Sue.

I hear people want Streep to play Leia. No. No. No. I'm sorry but although there are some similarities I think that it should be a simple statement in the Opening Credits saying "the Resistance's bold leader General Organa has died and now... (set up plot of the movie)."

7 minutes ago, Chen G. said:

You don't necessarily need too many deaths to create a sense of finality.

But yes, if this last film is to have any sense of heft, some of our main cast should meet their end.

On the one hand, it makes sense for Rey to be it. But on the other hand, it would only solidify the Marry Sue narrative, because that's literally what happens to the original Marry Sue.

Well, it's quite certain that Leia will die. ;)

When it comes to wrapping up the story line, it would be interesting if the dark side won this time around.

Revenge of the Sith ended that way...

Even if Disney plans on making another trilogy of episodes (which they hadn't even talked about thus far), it'd probably take a while; so I doubt they'd end this trilogy without a strong sense of closure, so I'd say a tragic end is out of the question. But that doesn't mean some the characters' stories can't end in tragedy.

If I were writing this episode to be the final say on all things Star Wars, I would have Rey and Kylo die, and create a cataclysmic event in which people's ability to attune themselves to The Force is undone.

1 minute ago, Jurassic Shark said:

When it comes to wrapping up the story line, it would be interesting if the dark side won this time around.

I think that this series is leading to balance. Finally... It makes sense seeing as the Prequels ended with Dark winning and the OT has the Light winning and it seems that with Kylo and Rey having connections they will somehow coexist together, peacefully ruling the galaxy together. Surely Kylo won't die?

1 minute ago, The Illustrious Jerry said:

Surely Kylo won't die?

Why not?

He killed his father on-screen. There's no getting back from that, from a narrative standpoint.

Few things are more satisfying in films that seeing a villain meet his end.

Since this trilogy is aiming at slightly less black-and-white heroism, it would indeed be fitting with a bittersweet ending.

10 minutes ago, Chen G. said:

If I were writing this episode to be the final say on all things Star Wars, I would have Rey and Kylo die, and create a cataclysmic event in which people's ability to attune themselves to The Force is undone.

Disney would never "undo" the force... After all, they paid four billions for it. ;)

Yeah, but to this day, they did not indicate that they want to make more episodes.

Now that they've killed off the characters of the earlier films, there's little that distinguishes - in terms of branding - the episodes from the spin-offs, and so I imagine they intend to wrap up the episodes and continue with more spin-off properties; and they'd be right to do so. Its time for the episodes...to end.

TLJ is already the end of the ‘Skywalker Saga’ as such. Unless Rey turns out to be a Skywalker after all. (I wouldn’t complain.) Daisy Ridley doesn’t expect to do any more Star Wars movies after 9, for whatever that’s worth.

56 minutes ago, Chen G. said:

Yikes, that would NOT be an inspiring conclusion!

But it would be a poignant one.

You can write it so Rey discovers through the Jedi texts that the only way for true balance to be achieved is by cutting the galaxy off from the force altogether. It could play off of Luke's notion that the Jedi should end.

34 minutes ago, Pellaeon said:

TLJ is already the end of the ‘Skywalker Saga’ as such.

I don't think the essential thrust of the saga has ever been the Skywalker lineage. Its more about the conflict of the light and the dark side. The episodes deal with this conflict directly, whereas the spin-offs use it as a backdrop.

8 minutes ago, Chen G. said:

You can write it so Rey discovers through the Jedi texts that the only way for true balance to be achieved is by cutting the galaxy off from the force altogether. It could play off of Luke's notion that the Jedi should end.

The Jedi texts went up in flames in TLJ. So unless Rey has a USB copy...

2 minutes ago, Jurassic Shark said:

Goddamn, I didn't remember that. What was the point burning the tree then?

Luke thought they were in there so he was going to burn the tree.  Yoda toyed with him by burning the tree after Luke had changed his mind, and said that Rey already had everything she needed (i.e. she stole the books).

1 minute ago, Jurassic Shark said:

Nothing else about her?

And her delightful British accent. 

OH AND THE SCENE WHERE SHE USES THE FORCE TO STEAL THE LIGHTSABER JUST BEFORE KYLO CAN GET IT

I REMEMBER THAT

And I remember her theme, of course.

4 minutes ago, mstrox said:

Luke thought they were in there so he was going to burn the tree.  Yoda toyed with him by burning the tree after Luke had changed his mind, and said that Rey already had everything she needed (i.e. she stole the books).

Poor old tree. It did nothing wrong.

20 minutes ago, Chen G. said:

Cute, but the Force is a life energy that pervades and simultaneously transcends all living things, it's a spiritual concept that is very similar to what you might find in certain Eastern religions and philosophies. As such, I think it would be really silly and undermining of the whole thing to treat it as a flippant means to an end as you suggest.

7 minutes ago, kaseykockroach said:

The only thing I notice in these movies is Rey's fantastic abs. And her eyes. And her smile.

I was oblivious until you posted that GIF of her...the force indeed awakened....

5 minutes ago, Nick Parker said:

As such, I think it would be really silly and undermining of the whole thing to treat it as a flippant means to an end as you suggest.

The way its explained to us, The Force sustains existence, so you could approach it more in terms of cutting off people's connection to it, rather than eliminating the force itself.

I think its the best way to bring closure to this series, and if you want to do something unexpected yet inevitable, than I feel like that's the way to go.

21 minutes ago, Chen G. said:

It could play off of Luke's notion that the Jedi should end.

But the whole point of Luke's arc in TLJ is that he was wrong, so that would be a weird thing to concede as a series wrap-up

4 minutes ago, kaseykockroach said:

Not nearly as thirsty as I am for Claire Dearing, but Rey is technically closer to my age, so that infatuation is slightly less disgraceful. 

what about a JP/SW crossover?

3 minutes ago, Chen G. said:

I think its the best way to bring closure to this series, and if you want to do something unexpected yet inevitable, than I feel like that's the way to go.

That would provide closure for sure.

It would also make me declare it the REAL worst Star Wars film ever!

Give me something a little more upbeat, please...

Just now, Pieter_Boelen said:

Give me something a little more upbeat, please...

I think final chapters need to have a bittersweet quality.

Making it upbeat would undermine its sense of heft.