Jay

Star Wars: Episode IX (JJ Abrams 2019)

3 minutes ago, Jerry said:

The FX are excellent, the sets nothing less.

The flying archway suugests something hewn out of rock, which is why I though Ahch-To initially.

Yeah it's definitely got a similar "carved out of the natural setting" feel, but is sanded to such a shine and features such ornate latticework carving, it doesn't have the rustic feel of Ahch-To that was befitting of its monastic origins.

33 minutes ago, Pellaeon said:

Hollywood always thinks it knows better.

Truth be told, I do like some of the changes made for that movie; but they're weird all the same.

Especially how they lead to a sequel hook that doesn't seem to fit in any way with the sequel books.

Oh well, we'll never find out where it would have led anyway.

I wanna know what Andrew Stanton is gonna do next.  Is he banned from live-action features for the rest of time after John Carter?  I see that he directed a couple of episodes of Stranger Things season 2 after his "make good" (Finding Dory), but that's it.

Bird's been developing a movie based on the 1906 San Francisco earthquakes for years now, but I guess with Tomorrowland flopping its back-burnered once again.  Now that Incredibles 2 is a hit maybe he will be able to do it?

10 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

Yes!  It's so funny how both directed ambitious risky family sci-fi films for Disney, both flopped, and both went back to direct sequels to their biggest Pixar hits to recover.

And of course both flops feature Giacchino scores that are among his best work.