Star Wars IX The Rise of Skywalker (JJ Abrams 2019)

Jay

There's no way Episode 9 and Avatar 2 will both open in December 2019.  They'd be fighting for the same IMAX screens, and neither would make their maximum potential income.

There's also no way Lucasfilm will open Avengers 4 AND Toy Story 4 AND Star Wars 9 AND Indiana Jones 5 all in the same summer.  The fact that they're already doing 3 works because they're one month apart each.  I don't think Disney will push any of those 4 into 2020, nor move any of those 4 up to 2018.  So I think they'll move something to November 2019, and Indiana Jones seems most likely to me.

25 minutes ago, Romão said:

In a game of chicken between Avatar and Star Wars, I don't think Star Wars should be the one to flinch, but never bet against Cameron

Yeah. Can we really rule out the possibility, Jay, that Star Wars will just say "We're releasing in December," and hope Avatar does something else?

1 hour ago, Daniel Clamp said:

So why bother making another one?

I was flipping through the channels last night and found The Scorpion King 4. Clearly they bother making sequels to crap franchises that make people money. 

On 10.03.2017 at 11:23 PM, Jay said:

People already don't care about Avatar.

True. Although nobody cared about Avatar before Avatar either. And look what happened.

Karol

The Asian market for starters cares a huge deal about Avatar. 

What reason did Cameron give for taking the piss with his sequel making time frame? Opulent levels of indiscipline might be his downfall yet. 

Weirdly, while James Cameron is now a pretentious vegan telling people to reduce their carbon footprints, the eatery in the Avatar land at Disney's Animal Kingdom serves meat to the tourists.

On 10/03/2017 at 10:53 PM, Jay said:

There's no way Episode 9 and Avatar 2 will both open in December 2019.  They'd be fighting for the same IMAX screens, and neither would make their maximum potential income.

This might the reason the studios actually talk to each other to thrash out a mutually beneficial arrangement.

Anyway, Episode 9 has to come out after Kenobi. This is so that Ewan McGregor can star as a decently-scripted Obi-Wan in a uniquely-toned ultimate franchise-binding film all about the Force; Obi-Wan's coming to terms with his new role in a changed galaxy; his slow-burning shepherding as he watches a young Luke from a distance, carefully drip-feeding ideas about the Force and working to keep him hidden. All the while he practices his own meditation, learns more from Force-ghost Qui-Gon (Neeson, of course), maybe goes off planet to visit Yoda or research how ancient Jedi turned their own back from the dark side, finding it will all be about family, and realising his path to redemption will be through Luke...leading perhaps closely up to Episode IV from this angle.

This will all be so that, in Episode 9, Alec Guiness Force-ghost can help Luke through a final hurdle of rebuilding the Jedi order or whatever the spiritual climax will be. Such a film could link the prequels, originals and spin-offs for a satisfying end to the 'four trilogies'...

...but I doubt they'll be that adventurous.

Episode IX definitely won't be the last episode, but it will probably be the last story with Luke Skywalker.

I guess it'll follow Rey's children and Rey will be relegated to the Mon Mothma role.

I know it sounds crazy, but I almost thought I read once that Disney only wanted to make like five more films total after Episode IX. Can't remember where that was though, or whether the source was reliable. 

And, seeming to contradict that, which could be total BS anyway, there's that Wired article: https://www.wired.com/2015/11/building-the-star-wars-universe/

If the people at the Walt Disney Company, which bought Lucasfilm for $4 billion in 2012, have anything to say about it, the past four decades of Star Wars were merely prologue. They are making more. A lot more. The company intends to put out a new Star Wars movie every year for as long as people will buy tickets. Let me put it another way: If everything works out for Disney, and if you are (like me) old enough to have been conscious for the first Star Wars film, you will probably not live to see the last one. It’s the forever franchise.

I'm rather worried about what will happen to Star Wars. By and large, let's be honest, Disney has treated it wonderfully so far and the brand hasn't really been cheapened. But I'd say that going beyond Episode IX in episodes and doing more than a handful of anthologies, or mixing Star Wars characters with Marvel characters in a film, would definitely start to spoil things. 

I wonder if George Lucas asked for any assurances from Disney that they wouldn't do certain things. I mean, I'm not sure if he could ever bear to see a Star Wars/Marvel/Pixar mash-up film. Or Star Wars Episode XXIII. He had to have been worried about what could happen to "his baby" (things much worse than them simply diverting from his preferred storylines to safer ground). 

Perhaps, though, Star Wars fans will be too "protective" of their franchise, and that will stop Disney from spoiling it. 

I really do hope that the ending to the Star Wars is satisfactory and does justice to what George Lucas started back in 1977. I don't think he ever really intended the main saga to last for more than nine films, for example. And even if Disney were to stop there, they would still be making anthologies after that, which would cheapen the effect of the saga's end (then again, Lucas wasn't afraid of that "lack of closure," seemingly, when he decided to make the last Star Wars films the prequels). 

Avatar 2 in November '19 probably makes the most sense.

On the other hand, it seems like Disney might be considering bringing SW back to its traditional Memorial Day weekend slot (which I think would be a mistake) so who knows.

3 hours ago, Will said:

I wonder if George Lucas asked for any assurances from Disney that they wouldn't do certain things. I mean, I'm not sure if he could ever bear to see a Star Wars/Marvel/Pixar mash-up film. Or Star Wars Episode XXIII. He had to have been worried about what could happen to "his baby" (things much worse than them simply diverting from his preferred storylines to safer ground). 

But wasn't Star Wars inspired by "never"-ending serials as well?

That was the reason for the original film being named "Episode IV" in the first place.

So surely "continuing forever" fits with that original inspiration...?

It's very clear that by now Lucas' views on Star Wars have involved considerably since 1977. Obviously, I don't know what's going through Lucas' head right now. I just feel like he's understandably very protective of Star Wars, and while I don't know all the details it seems like he really invested a lot in the transition process because he cared what happened to his "baby" as he's called it. 

Then again, the fact that he even sold it at all shows that he must have been ready for the possibility that things would diverge wildly from what he would have done. 

Lucas once planned for 12 episodes.

Maybe they make tthree more pre-prequels...

Infinite episodes will be weird...they have to be centrered in the skywalker family..otherwise they would be like anthology films with episode name...

They can really expand like the old EU... sadly they started very late, and the main cast is too old (or decesased :( ) to appear in 2 or more trilogies... so it will be weird. In the old EU you saw the big three getting older untill it was time for them to retire. Here i doubt Luke Will appear in episode X.

48 minutes ago, Luke Skywalker said:

Lucas once planned for 12 episodes.

Yes, but it's very clear to me from the tons of circumstantial evidence I've seen that he never really intended more than one trilogy after ROTJ. Earlier on there were apparently some ideas for four prequels (one prologue and Clone Wars trilogy) and also possibly the OT events being stretched into two trilogies, but those were eventually abandoned and he's spoken much more about three trilogies totaling nine films than anything else. 

I mean, obviously we don't know, maybe in private he told Disney he wanted four trilogies, who knows. But based on his public comments he's never really seemed to want more than three since various aspects of the 12-film idea were rendered void. 

48 minutes ago, Luke Skywalker said:

Maybe they make tthree more pre-prequels...

Yes, I've seen fans discussing the idea of an Old Republic trilogy. Fans might actually like it if they had Yoda and Mace Windu in major roles, for instance. 

2 minutes ago, Will said:

. Earlier on there were apparently some ideas for four prequels (one prologue and Clone Wars trilogy) and also possibly the OT events being stretched into two trilogies, but those were eventually abandoned and he's spoken much more about three trilogies totaling nine films than anything else. 

Wow i had never read that. It's one thing i thought too in the past. That they could totally have made what is now EP I, a prologue, then make a trilogy of the downfall of anakin (so it is not so rushed) then we would have the OT and then they could have made an epilogue with the main cast older and finishing their stories (or just that we see when they have become...

20 minutes ago, Luke Skywalker said:

Wow i had never read that. It's one thing i thought too in the past. That they could totally have made what is now EP I, a prologue, then make a trilogy of the downfall of anakin (so it is not so rushed) then we would have the OT and then they could have made an epilogue with the main cast older and finishing their stories (or just that we see when they have become...

My source is this J.W. Rinzler article (so it must be reliable!):

http://www.starwars.com/news/the-long-winding-and-shapeshifting-trail-to-episodes-vii-viii-ix

In it, the original trilogy occupied Episodes VI, VII, and VIII; a Clone Wars trilogy took up Episodes II, III, and IV, while Episode I was a “prelude,” Episodes IX through XI were simply left blank – and Episode XII was the “conclusion.”

They actually show the outline that included that stuff. It's apparently from between ANH and Empire. Essentially, Rinzler says that by the time Empire came out Lucas had decided on three trilogies. The next major change, I believe, would of course be when he said in the 2000s he had changed his mind and it would only be six films. 

Essentially, my main point is that, as far as I can tell, Lucas trashed the original idea of 12 films by making the OT and PT the way he did. It seems impossible to add films now and conform with that idea (since the four prequels were condensed to three and the second and third trilogies were condensed to make the OT). (Although obviously you could still make 12 films, it just wouldn't fit with those original Lucas ideas for 12 films.) Further, Lucas trashed the idea of six films by letting Disney make more. However, nothing has been done to make the nine film idea impossible. Quite the contrary -- the general idea for the third trilogy in that outline was about Luke being an old mentor, the grandchildren of the OT folks, etc. And so far nothing has been done to stray from that general outline. But Disney might in the future, of course...

See here on what I was saying about the third trilogy being eventually squashed into the second (the OT): http://www.theforce.net/latestnews/story/gary_kurtz_reveals_original_plans_for_episodes_19_80270.asp

One really interesting comment was this:

http://www.thewrap.com/star-wars-7-8-and-9-are-most-exciting-says-george-lucas-biographer-exclusive-63006/

It was originally a 12-part saga,” Pollock told TheWrap. “The three most exciting stories were 7, 8 and 9. They had propulsive action, really interesting new worlds, new characters. I remember thinking, ‘I want to see these 3 movies.’”

Pollock researched the book in the 1980s and interviewed Lucas some 80 times. Nonetheless, Lucas was not a fan, and the two no longer have a relationship.  The book was first published in 1983 and re-released in 1999. 

It seems that what this guy was looking at was outdated compared to what Lucas likely gave Disney. Probably the ideas Kurtz described above that got folded into the OT? (However I do wonder in that case: Why wouldn't Pollock have realized that?)

My, so complicated ... I wish I could just sit down with George Lucas for ten minutes, set the entire record straight, and then be satisfied. Alas, all we have to go on is circumstantial evidence. 

There will definitely be a 4th trilogy. The only question is how long Disney waits to do it.

Probably depends on how long they can make annual Anthology films before people lose interest?

5 hours ago, Will said:

I know it sounds crazy, but I almost thought I read once that Disney only wanted to make like five more films total after Episode IX. Can't remember where that was though, or whether the source was reliable. 

Found what I was referring to:

http://metro.co.uk/2016/03/07/disney-planning-10-more-star-wars-films-as-jj-abrams-confirms-exciting-plotlines-5737976/

Unsurprisingly, it doesn't say that Disney was only planning to make ten more after TFA. It just sounds like that's what was being discussed, if this report is accurate (RO, Han Solo, Episode VIII, Episode IX, 2020 anthology - maybe Boba - and five films after 2020). Probably in the early 2020s they'll want one trilogy and two anthologies, if they're planning on five films then. I assume they will keep doing one a year until people get tired of it. 

Realistically, we'll probably get anthology in 2020, Episode X in 2021, anthology in 2022, Episode XI in 2023, anthology in 2024, and Episode XII in 2025. Or maybe they will space things out because people will already be getting tired of the every-year thing. Maybe they will stick an Old Republic trilogy or something before the fourth trilogy starts. Who knows. 

Kind of sad to think that, in all likelihood, JW will not get to score the last saga film. 

I guess my skepticism over episodes continuing past IX is just because I can't imagine the saga without any of the big three, or without any Lucas stories ever having been written that far into the future. It feels like it will lose its "grounding." I guess I may need to get over that, though. Maybe Lucasfilm will make a really great fourth trilogy. 

I suppose maybe it is better for us to get as much Star Wars as possible, since we can ignore movies but we can't create them (in most cases). Still though...

I might be naive but I highly doubt Disney will start another Skywalker trilogy immediately after IX. They'll give it at least 5 or 6 years to build anticipation. Everyone will be happy to take a break from the Skywalker story by the time we reach IX.

I like the idea of starting a new trilogy set in the Old Republic, with completely new characters dealing with an ancient Sith order that worships the dark side. They could essentially remake the prequel storyline in a totally different era, and it would be a cool way to fill the gap between Skywalker trilogies.

Eventually they need to start making films that stand on their own feet, rather than rehashing existing events and characters. Rogue One, Han Solo, the rumoured Obi-Wan and Boba Fett films... c'mon, let's do something new!

57 minutes ago, crumbs said:

I like the idea of starting a new trilogy set in the Old Republic, with completely new characters dealing with an ancient Sith order that worships the dark side.

We need a conclusion to Revan's story. 

The simple truth is that Lucas kept changing his mind. As with the development of any story or set of stories things constantly evolve and change. The 7 saga films we have so far were all initially conceived to be very different than how they ended up. At this point, what Lucas planned doesn't really matter at all, because what Lucas planned was a whole lot of different things and the Star Wars franchise has simply moved beyond that.

7 hours ago, Will said:

Kind of sad to think that, in all likelihood, JW will not get to score the last saga film.

JW was never going to score the last saga film because there'll never be a last saga film!

6 hours ago, crumbs said:

I like the idea of starting a new trilogy set in the Old Republic, with completely new characters dealing with an ancient Sith order that worships the dark side. They could essentially remake the prequel storyline in a totally different era, and it would be a cool way to fill the gap between Skywalker trilogies.

Eventually they need to start making films that stand on their own feet, rather than rehashing existing events and characters. Rogue One, Han Solo, the rumoured Obi-Wan and Boba Fett films... c'mon, let's do something new!

You're not making any sense!

3 hours ago, BloodBoal said:

You're not making any sense!

Yes, I am.

The concept of the prequel trilogy was fine, George's execution was just awful.

Disney could tell a new iteration of that idea with new characters in a different era and execute it vastly better than George, with competent writers and filmmakers. ie. a promising young Jedi who becomes seduced by a Sith cult worshipping the dark side.

18 hours ago, Luke Skywalker said:

Infinite episodes will be weird...they have to be centrered in the skywalker family..otherwise they would be like anthology films with episode name...

Of course the current films have been quite Skywalker-centric. But there's a whole galaxy's worth of stories to tell.

Surely sequels could be made focusing on other characters, not related to the Skywalker clan?

I wouldn't mind. "Everyone being related to everyone" makes the galaxy seem smaller than it really should.

16 hours ago, Will said:

Realistically, we'll probably get anthology in 2020, Episode X in 2021, anthology in 2022, Episode XI in 2023, anthology in 2024, and Episode XII in 2025. Or maybe they will space things out because people will already be getting tired of the every-year thing. Maybe they will stick an Old Republic trilogy or something before the fourth trilogy starts. Who knows. 

If the other two big Disney franchises are anything to go by, I'm expecting to get MULTIPLE films per year soon.

That's what happened to Marvel and there were two of the "live action remakes" last year as well.

I'd be quite interested in an Obi-Wan film, as well as some Old Republic stuff too.

Could make some brand new "trilogies" not related to the Skywalkers! :D

The episodes all have to revolve around the skywalker family otherwise it makes no sense. I mean there are films with really personal stories instead of telling the whole galaxy picture. even the big score of the prequels ended being anakin's story.

The 'more stories' to tell thing is the reason to have the anthology films.

They can make another long series, (strange animals and where to find them etc etc) but not with the same layout. THey can even change the main title (good oportunity to set another composer...)

Fot example "Star wars The old republic" episode I, Episode II.... the title crawl should include 'the old republic' too to differenciate it from the skywalker saga....

Well... the old EU kpet it all nicely in the family...

The only stupid things were some of the nemesis and the sad fact that the f*cking galaxy was constantly on war....which with infinite episodes that's what disney will do...

1 minute ago, Luke Skywalker said:

We are not in a continuous World War Stefan.

Are you sure? It seems like we have been in a series of conflicts for many decades now, probably a lot longer.

1 minute ago, BloodBoal said:

Nobody wants to watch a trilogy about some small conflict between just two planets. It's boring. It's for the Star Trek crowd!

The Dominion War is a lot more interesting than the conflict in Star Wars.

2 minutes ago, Luke Skywalker said:

If you consider the last 30 years be the same as WWI and II, then i rest my case.

But that was never really the case with any incarnation of Star Wars. It's never been all out war for long periods of time. For the most part it's been an occupation, with a small group of militants resisting the ones in power.

If they indeed make a new Star Wars trilogy, they should set in thousands of years before the prequels, in the early days of the Sith/Jedi conflict. In that way, that can be pretty much tell whatever the story they'd want without having to do any sort of lead in or wrapping up with other movie chapters