Star Wars IX The Rise of Skywalker (JJ Abrams 2019)

Jay

12 minutes ago, Ghostbusters II said:

Disney blew their load with Star War movies and Iger admitted as much. I only saw Solo because George Lucas was supposedly involved. The only exciting Star War-related thing happening is the opening of the area at Disney Land.

Id rather go to the Wizarding World

4 hours ago, Chen G. said:

I've been thinking about that, and to me it seems inevitable that certain elements of Treverro's script will have stuck. It'd be pretty difficult for Abrams to create a perfectly new screenplay from scratch.

I think the WGA will probably give Trevorrow and Thorne story credit for the finished film, even if Abrams and Terrio swear they wrote the script from scratch.

On 1. April 2019 at 10:29 PM, Jay said:

@Mattris, you've shown me no reason in your time here on this site that you are not here for the sole purpose of arguing and debating with people about Star Wars, because you don't like the franchise any more.  There is nothing wrong with having that viewpoint and there is nothing wrong with debating topics back and forth on a message board, but every other user here balances out negative posts with positive ones, argumentative posts with appreciative posts, informative posts with silly posts, etc. 

Now that's just plain untrue.

I also have the feeling that irrationally defending and praising every single aspect of the films would not result in a similar stern reprimand as disliking and taking apart every single aspect of the films, even though one is just as valid or invalid as the other.

every other user here balances out negative posts with positive ones, argumentative posts with appreciative posts, informative posts with silly posts, etc. 

Star Wars: Balance of the Posts 

1 hour ago, gkgyver said:

I also have the feeling that irrationally defending and praising every single aspect of the films would not result in a similar stern reprimand as disliking and taking apart every single aspect of the films, even though one is just as valid or invalid as the other.

It’s not about the validity of the opinion, it’s about being a huge bummer and killing conversation otherwise.  Some people like to have that debate - It’s not like the disenchantment thread isnt thriving! 

Yea, it's not like any posts were deleted or edited in any way. Just moved to make this thread easier to follow news about this film. People are free to discuss what they like and don't like about the franchise as a whole in other threads. 

16 hours ago, gkgyver said:

Mm I actually really think if there was a Mattris mirror who was just as persistent about writing long multiquote posts about what masterpieces these films are, nitpicking Iight criticisms into yarns of defense analyses etc., there would be a point where enough was enough on that person too.

Then again, what a great romcom that would be.

Just now, mrbellamy said:

Mm I actually really think if there was a Mattris mirror who was just as persistent about writing long multiquote posts about what masterpieces these films are, nitpicking Iight criticisms into yarns of defense analyses etc., there would be a point where enough was enough on that person too.

Absolutely!

8 minutes ago, John said:

Top ten anime battles!

Oh what a hell that would be.

3 hours ago, Disco Stu said:

The contemptible clickbait cretins are really making hay with Johnson’s innocuous red carpet quote about being excited to see IX

It's amazing, they're like wasps, but instead of making paper into a nest, they transform a man's genuine optimism for a film into ammunition to further attack him and his work.

Interesting interview with JJ Abrams, which covers a lot of ground concerning Bad Robot, but the first part is more focused on Episode IX

https://www.fastcompany.com/90331236/exclusive-j-j-abrams-on-star-wars-apple-and-building-bad-robot-into-a-hollywood-force

Certainly sounds positive about IX. I mean, yeah, what else is he meant to say? But he addresses the compressed production timeline as being a positive in that it focused him and Chris to be disciplined with their storytelling. 

Somehow I don't think this will be rewrite city for JW like TFA was. 

19 minutes ago, Chen G. said:

I can see the retconning from here:

"George Lucas always intended for there to be 12 Star Wars films"

And after Episode IX, there will be. 😎

33 minutes ago, Chen G. said:

I can see the retconning from here:

"George Lucas always intended for there to be 12 Star Wars films"

Wasn't Lucas' original plan 12 films? It was covered in one of the documentaries.

Of course, that's back in the days where C3P0 was meant to be a used car salesman and Han Solo was a green lizard alien.

Apparently it's discussed in this Time article from 1978! (but is behind a paywall)

15 minutes ago, crumbs said:

Wasn't 12 films actually Lucas' original plan? It was covered in one of the documentaries.

In the writing process of Star Wars, it seems clear to me that Lucas was writing with the idea of a sequel in mind, should the film be succesfull. Earlier drafts had another text crawl at the end, teasing a sequel, and of course when his script was taken-up, he secured the rights to such a sequel. I don't think he had in mind that it would become a multi-entry "saga".

On the eve of Star Wars smash success, you can bet studio executives wanted as much of it as possible. I know the number 12 was talked about, which is why I brought it up, but I don't think such a large number of entries ever came close to being considered seriously. I seem to recall that there was a phase where Empire Strikes Back would have been titled episode 4 or 3, rather than 5, implying just one or two prequels, rather than a trilogy.

Even the idea of making nine films didn't stick for very long. By the time the screenplay of Return of the Jedi took shape, that idea was already forgone.

Someone else has already done a good forensic job tracing down the history of planned trilogies/sequels in the series over the last four decades here:

https://scifi.stackexchange.com/questions/1207/werent-there-originally-going-to-be-nine-star-wars-films

Scroll down to the 4th or 5th reply which has lots of annotated quotes.

This is also interesting, a map of the planned 9 films from Kurtz himself:

EPISODE 1: Was to focus on the origins of the Jedi Knights and how they are initiated and trained
        EPISODE 2: Introduction and development of Obi-Wan Kenobi
        EPISODE 3: Introduction and life of Vader
        EPISODE 4: There were seven different drafts of the film. At one point, they pursued buying the rights to Hidden Fortress because of the strong similarities. At one point, Luke was a female, Han was Luke's brother, Luke's father was the one in prison (interesting point for some debates) and the film featured 40 wookies
        EPISODE 5: Once written, the screenplay of Empire is almost exactly what is seen on screen. The only cut scenes were those involving wampas in the rebel base (cut because of time and unsolved technical glitches) and about two minutes of Luke/Yoda Jedi training with no real dialog.
        EPISODE 6: Leia was to be elected "Queen of her people" leaving her isolated. Han was to die. Luke confronted Vader and went on with his life alone. Leia was not to be Luke's sister.
        EPISODE 7: Third trilogy was to focus on Luke's life as a Jedi, with very few details planned out.
        EPISODE 8: Luke's sister (not Leia) appears from another part of the galaxy.
        EPISODE 9: First appearance of the Emperor.

22 minutes ago, crumbs said:

This is also interesting, a map of the planned 9 films from Kurtz himself:

EPISODE 1: Was to focus on the origins of the Jedi Knights and how they are initiated and trained
EPISODE 2: Introduction and development of Obi-Wan Kenobi
EPISODE 3: Introduction and life of Vader
EPISODE 4: There were seven different drafts of the film. At one point, they pursued buying the rights to Hidden Fortress because of the strong similarities. At one point, Luke was a female, Han was Luke's brother, Luke's father was the one in prison (interesting point for some debates) and the film featured 40 wookies
EPISODE 5: Once written, the screenplay of Empire is almost exactly what is seen on screen. The only cut scenes were those involving wampas in the rebel base (cut because of time and unsolved technical glitches) and about two minutes of Luke/Yoda Jedi training with no real dialog.
EPISODE 6: Leia was to be elected "Queen of her people" leaving her isolated. Han was to die. Luke confronted Vader and went on with his life alone. Leia was not to be Luke's sister.
EPISODE 7: Third trilogy was to focus on Luke's life as a Jedi, with very few details planned out.
EPISODE 8: Luke's sister (not Leia) appears from another part of the galaxy.
EPISODE 9: First appearance of the Emperor.

Yeah, I've seen this before. Some map, this. As it is, its just a few vague ideas to try and write movies around.

At any rate, I don't believe such a plan - rudimentary though it is - was in place until after the sequel to Star Wars was well on its way.

Specifically, the idea that the original Star Wars isn't the beginning of the story was a late addition. The movie just opens in medias res because it can. Early script drafts clearly refer to it as "Saga I", and The Empire Strikes Back started life as Star Wars 2, then as Episode III, and finally as V.

I remember an English teacher telling me when I was a teenager that George Lucas started with the Original Trilogy as a succession from the bard tradition, where if you were a storytelling bard in a bar or tavern, you'd get your ass beat or murdered by drunk warriors if you started out with the sucky part of a story.

Not sure if that helped Lucas out, all things considered.

27 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

Maybe Knights of Ren are allowed to sleep around

Keeping with Lucas' upping of Star Wars from PG to PG-13 for his final Star Wars film, I want JJ to up Star Wars now from PG-13 to R. One of the revelations we discover is that the Knights of Ren is a freaky sex cult.