Star Wars IX The Rise of Skywalker (JJ Abrams 2019)

Jay

On 4/16/2019 at 2:20 PM, Arpy said:

Force Theme Reprise (48.21)

Try more like

Track one (out of one): The Force Symphony in four movements (2:13:00)

11 minutes ago, Bespin said:

The official french title was anounced: L’ascension de Skywalker.

That’s going to make for some tight kerning between “Star” and “Wars.” 😛

This time I hope the translation is right… When they translated "The Last Jedi" par "Les derniers Jedi" it was later confirmed by Johnson that it should have been "Le dernier Jedi"… 

4 minutes ago, toothless said:

This time I hope the translation is right… When they translated "The Last Jedi" par "Les derniers Jedi" it was later confirmed by Johnson that it should have been "Le dernier Jedi"… 

All languages had it in plural....

Weird the director didn't talk to the translating team what he wanted for the title.....

“When we were designing The Force Awakens, we redesigned the Millennium Falcon’s radar dish to show that some time had passed since episode VI.  As we wrap up the saga, we’ve decided to ignore everything from The Last Jedi, and also to restore the original radar dish for some reason.” -J.J. Abrams

1 hour ago, Luke Skywalker said:

All languages had it in plural....

Weird the director didn't talk to the translating team what he wanted for the title.....

The plural form was right, as Rey and Ben are the last students trained by a Jedi Master, Luke Skywalker. So these three are really the last Jedi.

Johnson is a jerk. I’m not surprised he did not understood the movie he directed.

5 hours ago, Bayesian said:

That’s going to make for some tight kerning between “Star” and “Wars.” 😛

97A9777D-0F99-430A-B45E-438487CE2012.png

"We knew, as soon as we started to work on this film, that it had to be a satisfactory conclusion. And we were all well aware that the identity of Rey's parents is one of the things left unresolved. I do not mean that what happened in Episode VIII did not exist. But I‘d say there is more to find out... »

http://www.premiere.fr/Cinema/News-Cinema/Star-Wars-9-il-y-a-plus-a-decouvrir-sur-l-identite-des-parents-de-Rey

Of course. Despite what some people may expect (for IX to disregard VIII entirely), it's still part of a trilogy and if it is to be a satisfactory conclusion, there are certain questions raised or perpetuated by Episode VIII that need answers.

Another kooky theory from Chris Hartwell:

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/star-wars-rise-skywalker-will-luke-return-dead-1202234

also this

On a partially related note, that Emperor buisness? I'm getting a very, very bad feeling about that:

This movie had a very, very specific challenge, which was to take eight films and give an ending to three trilogies[...]we met with George Lucas before writing the script.1

On 3/30/2019 at 3:30 AM, Mattris said:

In one of the canon Darth Vader comics, it is insinuated that Palpatine created Anakin.

and

There was no father. I carried him, I gave birth. I can't explain what happened.[...]It's possible he was concieved by the midichlorians.2[...]He could use The Force to influence the midichlorians to create...life.3

Lucas [...] wrote [for Revenge of the Sith...] a scene in which Palpatine reveals to Anakin that he created him from midichlorians, and is thus his "father." 4

Sounds like a Lucas' idea, and while it would have worked for the narrative of Revenge of the Sith because there's a father/son dynamic going on there between Palpatine and Anakin anyway, in the grand scheme of things, there's just something wrong about Luke Skywalker being descendant of Palpatine, and it only reduces the expanse of the cycle all the more. 

If its revealed that Kylo Ren is Palpatine's great-grandson, I'm gonna lose it.

https://www.ign.com/articles/2019/04/12/how-george-lucas-helped-finish-star-wars-the-rise-of-skywalker2 Star Wars, Episode I.

2 Star Wars, Episode I.

3 Star Wars, Episode III.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Star_Wars:_Episode_III_–_Revenge_of_the_Sith#Deleted_scenes

At this point, the overall storyline is so cluttered after this new trilogy, I'm not sure even Lucas can make heads or tails of it, let alone help bring it all together story-wise. 

In ROTS Palpatine eludes to Plagueis creating Anakin. Palpatine later says "[this power] is a power only one has achieved, but if we work together, I'm know we can discover the secret", making it seem as though Palpatine doesn't have this power. The Padme/lifedrain theory would make that statement a lie, although that theory is not confirmed.

There's no reason to believe that the power was a real thing. It was just a story with a death-cheating ability weirdly conspicuously specific to the nightmares Anakin was having. Lucas kept it vague because it works best that way. People are putting way too much thought into this, possibly including the Disney people.

18 hours ago, Manakin Skywalker said:

In ROTS Palpatine eludes to Plagueis creating Anakin. Palpatine later says "[this power] is a power only one has achieved, but if we work together, I'm know we can discover the secret", making it seem as though Palpatine doesn't have this power. The Padme/lifedrain theory would make that statement a lie, although that theory is not confirmed.

Pretty sure he sure he was talking about living forever (“cheating death”), not creating life. Though... how different are those two things really...

The point is, it was clearly in Lucas' mind (whether in 2004 or all the way back to 1997) to give the prequels a twist to rival that of The Empire Strikes Back in making Palpatine Anakin's father.

It would have worked for the narrative of Revenge of the Sith (although clearly the film works just as well without it), but in the grand scheme of things? Doesn't sound like a good idea to me. I would hate it if that's what Abrams landed on.

27 minutes ago, Fargo said:

Pretty sure he sure he was talking about living forever (“cheating death”), not creating life. Though... how different are those two things really...

It's implied that both powers are one in the same. The midichlorians influence life; therefore either repairing it or creating it from scratch.

3 minutes ago, Manakin Skywalker said:

It's implied that both powers are one in the same. The midichlorians influence life; therefore either repairing it or creating it from scratch.

Man... let’s not talk about midichlorians. 

And do do you mean that Plagueis (sp?) created Anakin? Or did Sidious? 

20 minutes ago, Fargo said:

In the recent Darth Vader comics, which is new canon, it's implied that Palpy/Sid influenced Shmi's pregnancy. 

Did-Palpatine-Create-Anakin-Skywalker-3.

23 minutes ago, Fargo said:

Man... let’s not talk about midichlorians. 

I was just quoting Palpatine. :P

As for who really created Anakin, I have no idea. A recent comic (that xWxzek posted about) implies that it was actually Palpatine that created Anakin. Whether or not that's true, and not just some sort of "vision", I also have no idea.

Again, that idea was in George Luas' script to Revenge of the Sith.

It wasn't used, ultimately, but you can see the intent there when you rewatch the scene with that tidbit in mind.

Tracking numbers for the trailer well ahead of the two previous saga films, even Rogue One:

Sources inform us that the 24-hour traffic for Skywalker ... was 111 million views, 20M more than the Star Wars: The Last Jedi teaser (91M as of April 14, 2017) and more than double the 24-hour traffic for Star Wars: The Force Awakens teaser from Nov. 27, 2014.

Indicative of Skywalker‘s success ... is that the trailer is going viral like crazy. RelishMix reports that the EOR viral rate for Skywalker is at “a very healthy start” of 295:1 through 10 days based strictly on YouTube views (the data doesn’t include Facebook, Twitter or Instagram views). That number beats the first 10-day viral rate of The Last Jedi (262:1), Force Awakens (120:1) and Rogue One: A Star Wars Story (68:1), with fans ripping and reposting the teaser trailer for the J.J. Abrams-directed sequel across YouTube on movie fan channels and Marvel superfan channels as well.

But I thought nobody cared about Star Wars after the last film! :lol:

Hey, I'm still hoping out for it to be good, but that trailer did it no favours!

I already got one lackluster resolution in Endgame. Don't need another.

17 minutes ago, mstrox said:

Well it's no Barveheart!

Very few things are.

Endgame actually has Thanos rip Longshanks off with shooting into the battlefield, in spite of it being filled with his own troops.

I mean, an overstuffed third act is one thing, but ripping off Braveheart? Now You're just made it personal, movie!

If Kylo Ren has a Longshanks moment (say, *approaching Hux* "what advice would you offer on the current...situation!?" *throws Hux out of window*) I'm gonna lose it.

4 hours ago, Nick Parker said:

I can't be the only one who's figured out that 

Hide contents

Rey is a transgendered shard of the Death Star II as possessed by IG-88. When she reaches the remains of the ship, she says reverently, "Sheev...we're home."

Think. John Williams is a genius and a master of alluding to themes within a body of work. The Death Star motif is based off of a minor triad. And what is Rey's Theme based off of? You guessed it: a minor triad. 

Indeed you can't:

On 4/8/2019 at 1:09 PM, Chen G. said:

Rey's obviously an incarnate form of the Death Star!

That's why Rogue One focused on the Death Star, you see. Its all part of a plan, I tell you! John Williams' plan, of course: clearly, as he composed the Death Star motif in 1977, he had in his mind a story about a young orphan who doesn't know she's an incarnation of the Death Star, and when the time was right and that pesky Lucas was out of the way, he ordered Kathleen Kennedy to create a trilogy secretly centered around that concept.

Surely, in IX, she'll turn into Starkiller base and blow-up The First Order. A great throwback to The Force Awakens, the trilogy comes full circle, audiences all around the world would be in tears at the majesty of the sight, and there you have it, a 3-billion dollar movie!