Star Wars IX The Rise of Skywalker (JJ Abrams 2019)

Jay

1 hour ago, Thekthithm said:

Into Darkness has a hard-to-follow plot and I've forgotten what Beyond was all about.

It's not that hard to follow when it's basically delivered in major exposition scenes. Although, as much as I love the film, Khan's motivations and presence in the film were severely lacking like we somehow missed a whole film's worth of why we should care about him to begin with. 

6 hours ago, Gruesome Son of a Bitch said:

It was a terrible movie.

It was enormously overrated, that's for sure.

6 hours ago, Chen G. said:

It really isn't.

Why are your opinions always wrong?

Just now, A. A. Ron said:

Overrated? I think it copped it's fair share of criticism from both fans and critics. 

I like how Beyond attempts to confront the darker aspects to the Federation and Starfleet, and how it made the villain a disaffected soldier who became inhuman and bent on revenge. The story itself feels Trekkian, and wouldn't feel out of place in TOS or TNG.

Yeah. I’m sad because to me personally, Beyond and Solo are solid templates upon which they could build enjoyable sequels for decades, but both seem to be considered dead ends.

Solo put me to sleep for the first 45 minutes. It was so boring and so dark that I just dozed off until some sort of explosion occurred on a train that reminded me of the Shadows of the Empire video game. Like Heath Ledger once said as the Joker, it was so BORING!

1 hour ago, Pellaeon said:

Yeah. I’m sad because to me personally, Beyond and Solo are solid templates upon which they could build enjoyable sequels for decades, but both seem to be considered dead ends.

The problem with Solo is that it's so high on it's own nostalgia that, to me, it felt trapped with nowhere to go in the larger narrative universe. At times it even looked like a cosplay version of Star Wars.

I still enjoyed it, though and I think the cast were wonderful - though it's a shame there wasn't more Woody Harrelson.

6 hours ago, Pellaeon said:

Beyond is fun![...] it doesn’t feel like the previous two, which were trying a little too hard to reinvent what Trek was. It was more restrained in scope. But, to be fair, Star Trek 2009’s Star Wars-like visual and storytelling excess also makes it much more stark and memorable.

Funny, that’s exactly what I felt the film was lacking: the scale and sweep of the precious two, Star Wars-like, entries.

But, like you said, it’s fun.

I’m sure Solo’s at least mildly enjoyable, too.

6 hours ago, A. A. Ron said:

I’m not saying it’s some kind of great cinematic artifact. But it’s impressively mounted and kinetic, if nothing else.

20 hours ago, A. A. Ron said:

Probably because his opinions are right.

Regarding Star Trek Beyond I for one loved it the most of the three reboot films.  I liked parts of Star Trek Into Darkness but over all it was a mess and just pissed me off because it was a re-write of The Wrath Of Khan which is my favorite Star Trek film.  Cumberbatch was the wrong choice for Khan although in the comics it explained why he looked different compared to the original TOS Khan.

Star Trek Beyond definitely felt a lot more closer to a TOS episode/movie than the other two. I still love all three scores though.

Beyond was the best of the three in my opinion. It did indeed feel more like a 3-part episode arc. I still prefer all of the original films over the new trilogy though, but I don't think that Beyond was bad at all.

31 minutes ago, Manakin Skywalker said:

I still prefer all of the original films over the new trilogy though, but I don't think that Beyond was bad at all.

The TNG films were awful monstrosities that were a complete shift in tone from the show. I don't mind Generations every now and then, mainly because it feels like a passable episode of TNG. 

Generations is one of my favorites and First Contact is a good sci-fi action flick. Insurrection is troubled and mostly feels like a letdown after the previous one (They really switched gears from a badass slick suspenseful space Die Hardian adventure to the lame hippie planet) while still watchable and Nemesis is a weird yet also watchable mess.

The problem with the TNG films is that they felt the unnecessary need to make things bigger, badder and darker, because it's a movie! I just want the bright lighting and the same corridors damn it!

Anyone else think Generations is not only the best looking one, but the most emblematic of everything missing from modern Star Trek?  It's really the antithesis of the Prime timeline movies.  It's also better than Star Wars movies. 

10 hours ago, Arpy said:

The TNG films were awful monstrosities that were a complete shift in tone from the show. I don't mind Generations every now and then, mainly because it feels like a passable episode of TNG. 

I prefer the show of course, but I still enjoyed Generations and First Contact. Insurrection was alright. Nemesis was meh. They're still better than the newer films in my opinion.

My biggest gripe with the Next Generation films is that they felt like big budget versions of the show. They weren't cinematic, First Contact less so than the others (having the Borg as the villains and Alice Krige as their queen certainly helped).

Also, the self-contained nature of the stories didn't do the films any favours, I would have preferred a multi-film arc. Oh well.

10 minutes ago, JTWfan77 said:

they felt like big budget versions of the show

IMO this is true of all the TOS movies except the first.  They might not have felt specifically like the 60s show, but they felt small.  I dunno, it's not a reason to not like them for me.

4 minutes ago, Pellaeon said:

They’re all just nostalgia trips, ultimately, right? Are there any Star Trek fans who are into it mainly for the movies?

I think for most people the appeal of a television series being adapted into a movie is the opportunity to see the characters and settings tell a story larger in scope and chutzpah than an average TV episode could allow.

14 hours ago, Dixon Hill said:

Anyone else think Generations is not only the best looking one, but the most emblematic of everything missing from modern Star Trek?  It's really the antithesis of the Prime timeline movies.  It's also better than Star Wars movies. 

I'm with you, although calling Generations "best" out of the TNG films is faint praise because I really dislike *all* of the other three (despite having excellent Goldsmith scores).

Generations suffers greatly in comparison to All Good Things... and it really needed another rewrite or two. But it feels the most Trek and the most TNG of all the movies, easily. Yeah we start having people act a *little* out of character but it was NOTHING compared to the strangeness of First Contact, and by the time we got to Nemesis IMO many of the characters were almost unrecognizable compared with the TV series. :(

Yavar

15 minutes ago, Yavar Moradi said:

by the time we got to Nemesis IMO many of the characters were almost unrecognizable compared with the TV series. :(

bad-movie-reboot-star-trek-nemesis-drive.jpg

"Let's hear this kitten purr!"

With the case of Picard, I honestly feel the seeds of his character getting all loose was planted in the series. I love Picard but it got irritating to see just how multi-faceted and skilled he was at...well, everything.