Star Wars IX The Rise of Skywalker (JJ Abrams 2019)

Jay

Although I thought Jurassic World was dull and by the numbers, I recently watched Safety Not Guarented, and I thought it was quirky, delightful little movie

• 3 weeks later...

I wonder how much of Episode 9's script will have to be modified now that Carrie Fisher can no longer be a part of it :(

Well I mean, who knows.  It's possible she dies in Episode 8, right?  

Depending on what Leia does in Episode 8, its also possible they could leave half her scenes in Ep 8 and move half to Ep 9.  There's a lot of possibilities, and we probably won't hear much publicly about it from Johnson, Trevorrow, or Disney until after Episode 8's been released.

Of course. We don't really have any idea about what her role is in Ep 8. I expect that soon we will hear at least of she had already finished all her scenes or more were scheduled. But I doubt anything else will be announced.

I saw a rumor awhile ago that 

Leia gets injured and put in a coma in 8. Eerie if true...if so, they can probably write Leia's death in and shoot something addressing that if they hadn't already.

I imagine John will use the original end credits arrangement with Leia's Theme for 8.

9 hours ago, mrbellamy said:

I imagine John will use the original end credits arrangement with Leia's Theme for 8.

I think that would be a really nice touch. Or perhaps a gentle rendition of Leia's Theme at the very close of the credits, ala Luke's Theme at the end of the TFA credits. 

I would think Disney will include an "In Loving Memory" credit somewhere.

7 minutes ago, crumbs said:

I would think Disney will include an "In Loving Memory" credit somewhere.

That's pretty much a given.

9 hours ago, Jay said:

Well I mean, who knows.  It's possible she dies in Episode 8, right?  

According to THR's article mentioning her passing, she had a bigger role in this film. It doesn't exactly mean her character bites it, though.

2 hours ago, Cerebral Cortex said:

If we get a scene where we get to see Luke being made aware of Leia's passing, Williams may find it appropriate to slip in one last rendition of the theme, similar to how Han and Leia's theme got one last reprisal shortly after Han's death in TFA. 

True.  It's one of Williams' greatest, and it'd be great to finally get a full statement of it in a film beyond the end credits.

Just now, Bespin said:

Now I imagine the scroll of Episode IX will begin this way: "The Resistance is mourning."

And I imagine the first scene showing Luke, lost in his thoughts... while the Luke and leia Theme is playing...

Yes...yes....

Send that to Disney HQ stat!

• 3 weeks later...
1 hour ago, alextrombone94 said:

I'm not against a CGI Leia IF her appearance is integral to the plot.

The money claimed from the  Insurance could be easily churned to bring back Carrie Fishers Leia in CGI form. Im sure they will find a way to bring the character back for the 3rd film. Even though her shoots were completed for the next Episode its likely they will use additional CGI .

I hope they find a way of writing Leia out of the sequels in some graceful a way so that they don't have to resort to using those CG waxwork puppets like in Rogue One.

From Johnson's point of view, I wouldn't really want to change my movie to accommodate changes required for IX.

Seems pretty clear she wasn't being killed off in VIII though, so it's likely they were saving a climatic confrontation with her son for IX.

I would hope they fill that void with Luke instead, given the whole Knights of Ren subplot.

11 minutes ago, crumbs said:

From Johnson's point of view, I wouldn't really want to change my movie to accommodate changes required for IX.

Seems pretty clear she wasn't being killed off in VIII though, so it's likely they were saving a climatic confrontation with her son for IX.

I would hope they fill that void with Luke instead, given the whole Knights of Ren subplot.

The thing is...that maybe Luke could die in VIII... :(

11 minutes ago, Luke Skywalker said:

The thing is...that maybe Luke could die in VIII... :(

It's possible/probable given that Leia was apparently a key part of IX. So if Luke currently dies in VIII, Johnson won't have much choice except re-shoots.

Something would feel a bit weird if IX didn't have any of the original 3 in a supporting role, given the way every sequel/prequel thus far has retained the Skywalker family line.

Hopefully they don't CG her. Just softly mention that she died, have a funeral scene mirroring Padme's from Revenge of the Sith and move on!

17 minutes ago, BloodBoal said:

The most logical thing to do (and possibly the easiest, too), if Luke was meant to die at the end of VIII, is to simply reshoot the end of VIII, to have him survive and Leia die in his place, and have him play the part Leia was meant to have in IX.

I think any confrontation with Ren in IX would have just as much weight with his mother as it would his former Jedi master (whose students he murdered en masse after turning dark). Without knowing either character's fate in VIII it's hard to speculate what the best approach might be. Re-shooting Luke's potential death scene so he survives and takes Leia's role in IX seems like a no-brainer.

As for Leia, they may prefer to leave her scenes intact for VIII then

A) give themselves a few extra years to perfect a CGI double and scale her role down, like Mon Mothma in ROTJ, or

B) write her out of IX entirely and address it in the opening crawl. "The Resistance is in mourning," or something like that.

Something in the style of Padme's funeral would be quite touching for an opener to the final film, starting the final story with some emotional gravitas, setting Luke and Rey off on a vengeful mission to avenge her. I imagine Luke dealing with Ren's murder of Han will be a key plot point in VIII (perhaps why he was crying at the end of TFA).

2 minutes ago, BloodBoal said:

The most logical thing to do (and possibly the easiest, too), if Luke was meant to die at the end of VIII, is to simply reshoot the end of VIII, to have him survive and Leia die in his place, and have him play the part Leia was meant to have in IX.

Ok, but they still had to do a CGI Leia.

And if the film is structured to the climatic Luke-Kylo confrontation...they would have to change a lot.

It makes more sense to make kylo kill his parents and then luke (the most powerful jedi alive) confronts him (try to redeem him after that would be difficult...but maybe luke wants to kill him in revenge and rey convinces him not to...or not) Having leia confront him in the last film and defeat him (with the force) would be weird because she seems not to be trained (that didnt preven rey either..anyway...)

3 minutes ago, Koray Savas said:

I told ya'll. Episode VIII will remain unchanged and she'll die in between films. 

Pretty much... they'll adjust the start of IX to include a poignant funeral sequence then give Luke's character the story they intended for Leia.

Either way, if they do digital Leia or not. There's no way to make everyone happy, it's the nature of these things. Either way, whomever started the rumor that the news outlets picked up, though probably an overzealous fan or reporter, should really chill and let people mourn their friend and family member before filling their inboxes for requests to comment on the deceased' future

• 1 month later...

‘Avatar 2’ 2018 Release “Not Happening”, Says James Cameron

This could create a potential mess for Lucasfilm in 2019.

If Avatar 2 will now open December 2019 instead of December 2018, what do they do with Episode 9?

Currently Disney already has scheduled Avengers 4 in May 2019, Toy Story 4 in June 2019, and Indiana Jones 5 in July 2019... making it likely that they'd release Star Wars Episode 9 in December 2019.  But if Avatar 2 has that month, then what does Disney do?  They could move Episode 9 to July 2019 and Indiana Jones 5 to November 2019, perhaps.