Star Wars IX The Rise of Skywalker (JJ Abrams 2019)

Jay

26 minutes ago, leeallen01 said:

Come on, every one knows Disney did that, not Johnson. It's common sense. Johnson can't even write a script.

In my experience, everyone who has said this cannot follow a noodle in a soup bowl, let alone a plot.

7 minutes ago, Demodex said:

I loved The Last Jedi, but it has the 2nd most dull score in SW. (AOTC is the worst)

Everything about AOTC is the worst.

1 hour ago, leeallen01 said:

Except when Rian said he didn't meet with Williams initially, and instead sent him a temp score to work from. Words from Rian's own mouth.

Rian Johnson never said this. 

? While it is true that he gave JW this temped version of the movie instead of going through a ‘traditional’ spotting session, RJ has talked about the fact they met and watched the movie together etc. 

I have to be in the mood for Attack of the Clones. It's a really good score, and it's unfortunate that it stacks up as one of the lesser ones in the saga. Nonetheless, it goes to show the quality of Williams work once again. His presumably worst (not the best word) Star Wars score is still better than so many, many other scores.

5 hours ago, Jurassic Shark said:

Across the Stars is just gorgeous. And it was the first ever love theme of the saga! ;)

Princess Leia's theme  eats acs for breakfast lunch and dinner

I do not hear the "love to end all loves and end a galaxy over" in most renditions of AtS, just shallow longing. When those quickly sawing strings suddenly up the tempo in the second half of the concert piece, it almost parodises itself!

2 hours ago, Holko said:

I do not hear the "love to end all loves and end a galaxy over" in most renditions of AtS, just shallow longing. When those quickly sawing strings suddenly up the tempo in the second half of the concert piece, it almost parodises itself!

I think it’s a great piece of music.

It’s just too diluted in the film. Williams doesn’t have any other memorable thematic idea running through Attack of the Clones, and what thematic ideas he does have are all so heavily based on it (intentionally so, of course) that Across the Stars, that seems like you’re hearing it all throughout the film, which was also the longest in the series until The Last Jedi came around.

Hey, it also has the Separatist motif with the complexity and texture of wet toilet paper and the riveting development of quoting it verbatim over and over!

For AotC, the OST is pretty much all I need. 

I think what Williams was attempting in that particular score is quite admirable: he’s trying to craft an entire score from one centerpiece theme and derive all other ideas  from it. It’s kind of the Howard Shore way.

Its just a shame that it didn’t stick the landing, and that it ended up with the finished film that we know now.

8 minutes ago, Chen G. said:

It’s just too diluted in the film. 

8 minutes ago, Chen G. said:

seems like you’re hearing it all throughout the film

Make up your mind, already!

;)

2 hours ago, Chen G. said:

I think what Williams was attempting in that particular score is quite admirable: he’s trying to craft an entire score from one centerpiece theme and derive all other ideas  from it. 

He obvious gave up that approach when doing the next one.

15 minutes ago, crumbs said:

Say whatever you want about AOTC or the sequel trilogy, but I don't want to live in a world without Rey's Theme, The Jedi Steps, The Spark, The Battle of Crait, Across the Stars or Confrontation with Count Dooku.

But you did before 2002!

35 minutes ago, Fabulin said:

image.png

@The Illustrious Jerry I am still working on it. I even bought a new DVD of AOTC for that purpose. I will make a noir, Herrmannesque temp track, but it will take dozens of hours, which means long time... the problem is not ideas, or even finding right concept music, but actually matching it with the film. Oh my frustration when I discovered, that the title crawl is much shorter than in the OT and so I cannot really use vintage recordings to temp that...

For anyone curious:

Lots of Herrmann and Williams music from other scores, but also snippets from:

Goldsmith, North, Horner, Morricone, Kilar, Giacchino, Elfman, JNH, Heymann, Griskey, Korngold, Glass, Adams, Koechlin, Stravinsky, Sillescu, Prokofiev, Bach, R. Strauss

Nobody needs to watch AOTC again, in any form.

1 hour ago, Stefancos said:

He obvious gave up that approach when doing the next one.

Kind of and kind of not. Across the Stars remains a very central theme. Elements of it crop up in several other thematic ideas.

Its a very special pair of scores in Williams careet because, unlike the scores in the other two trilogies, here Williams had a strong sense of the traejectory of the story from the start. So he could write themes like Across the Stars knowing how they'd pay off in the later of the two entries.

As a result, I really like the score to Revenge of the Sith.

I'm going to make a pretty insane guess for Ep9. It's a little crazy, but here goes; the rebels or resistance (depending on which day it is) will defeat the first order, and Rey will defeat Kylo...again. The score will have zero new themes, because Williams has literally nothing to work from, and he will repeat all his previous uses of his themes, because he already did every conceivable thing he could with all his themes, so much that he literally cannot find another way to perform Rey's theme, because she has zero character to pull from.

Or not, you know, maybe it will be great...

10 minutes ago, John said:

I’m predicting Williams will compose a “finality” theme of sorts, a brand new motif unique to IX that will bring a sense of closure to the saga’s soundscape. 

The Force theme inverted and played backwards.

45 minutes ago, John said:

I’m predicting Williams will compose a “finality” theme of sorts, a brand new motif unique to IX that will bring a sense of closure to the saga’s soundscape. 

We all know the movie will end with The Throne Room Theme.

Lower your expectations a bit.

:lurk:

There'll be a panel for Episode IX at Celebration in April (to nobody's surprise).

Is JW doing anything in Chicago around the same time? They mention "special guests" so that could be fun. Maybe another mini-concert with some sequel trilogy themes?

45 minutes ago, JoeinAR said:

The 1st teaser trailer will be attached to Endgame?

Will it be ready in time, though? They just wrapped principal photography.

How do they pump these things out so fast? Back in the olden days, Lucas would spend the last half of 1999 in pre-production, shoot the movie in 2000, spend all of 2001 and the first few months of 2002 on post-production. Took a lot longer back then. Now they seem to make the whole thing in just two years.

It helped that GL was in control and only answered to himself. Now you have a $4 billion investment and pressure to consistently churn out new content.