BloodBoal

I like what Snyder tries here, playing with the characters' powers (Superman being catched as he tries to float away and so on). However the overly CGI'd feel breaks it for me.

The CGI isn't a problem. The whole scene just seems excessive. And this is one small scene in a 2 hour action-packed film. There's just not enough breathing room.

Snyder is seriously one of the worst filmmakers out there. He's Uwe Bol with a budget.

He's a visionary auteur, just like Mark Neveldine and Brian Taylor. I see no comparison with Uwe Boll, who's films are devoid of craft, wit, and meaning.

Snyder has wit and meaning? He took Frank Miller's style that Rodriguez brought to life in Sin City and added a bunch of slow motion. That's pretty much it.

If you can't see the visual wit in the Smallville battle then you are beyond hope.

If you can, you may be looking too hard! :P

It's a live action Wile E. Coyote and Road Runner sketch! Has me in stitches. Wonderfully playful choreography and cinematography, and the constant variation keeps it from becoming monotonous. Beats Nolan's cheeseball one liners after and Pfister's lifeless framing and mis-en-scene.

Really?

I think the CGI is fine

I feel like I'm seeing something that's not really happening. Maybe the excess is not properly organized.

I mean, I like Fury Road, and it has a ton of CGI, and I enjoyed it there.

It's a live action Wile E. Coyote and Road Runner sketch! Has me in stitches. Wonderfully playful choreography and cinematography, and the constant variation keeps it from becoming monotonous. Beats Nolan's cheeseball one liners after and Pfister's lifeless framing and mis-en-scene.

I can see what you mean.

Snyder is seriously one of the worst filmmakers out there. He's Uwe Bol with a budget.

He's a visionary auteur, just like Mark Neveldine and Brian Taylor. I see no comparison with Uwe Boll, who's films are devoid of craft, wit, and meaning.

Snyder has wit and meaning? He took Frank Miller's style that Rodriguez brought to life in Sin City and added a bunch of slow motion. That's pretty much it.

If you can't see the visual wit in the Smallville battle then you are beyond hope. And Rodriguez is a nihilistic hack, not worthy of been uttered in the same sentence as Snyder.

:lol: You've called at least 10 filmmakers nihilistic hacks. Maybe it's time to find a new insult because it has nothing to do with Rodriguez, who is pure pulp and grindhouse. If I want Wile E. Coyote antics I'll look for it in Zucker or something like Shoot 'Em Up, not a fucking gravely serious Superman movie.

Film: Batman Begins. It's what launched the whole trend of edgier superhero movies, and did that genre better than anything else besides its first sequel.

Score: Batman Begins. The louder percussion is rather bland, but there's some great thematic material in there, and the "bat-wing" sound is really cool. Man of Steel, on the other hand, ugh.

We best hope nobody ever does a poll on Brad Fidel's Terminator scores, because it's a scientific impossibility for a person to have an opinion on the merits of a film's underscore which one wouldn't normally listen to away from its movie.

Not really. I thought Zimmer's Inception was incredibly effective in the film, but I don't actually like 90% as stand-alone music.

Ofcourse you do!

Yes, my evolved musical sensibilities when compared to most people make it a fairly obvious conclusion that I see much that others don't.

(Trying out my new "Alexcremers of film music" persona)

That doesn't sound like me at all! Too direct, explicit and Nolan-esque!

I rely more on the subtleties of innuendo.

Alex

If you can't see the visual wit in the Smallville battle then you are beyond hope. And Rodriguez is a nihilistic hack, not worthy of been uttered in the same sentence as Snyder.

:lol: You've called at least 10 filmmakers nihilistic hacks. Maybe it's time to find a new insult because it has nothing to do with Rodriguez, who is pure pulp and grindhouse.

LOL

Since when is grindhouse NOT nihilistic and lowest common denominator trash? What makes Rodriguez differ from the 70s cheapos is he does it with a sense of irony, and a complete lack of sincerity. It's supposed to be oh so clever, and likewise the audience can assume sophistication by playing along with the "joke."

Unlike Snyder's films, Rodriguez's lack of sensuality or any evidence of the transcendent. There's no sense awe and wonder or marvel at the extraordinary quality of light.

If I want Wile E. Coyote antics I'll look for it in Zucker or something like Shoot 'Em Up, not a fucking gravely serious Superman movie.

Why are you such a literal minded fucker?

Why are you such a literal minded fucker?

01 - Personal attacks will not be allowed. Please be RESPECTFUL of one another, allow for differences in opinions, and please don't make anyone feel that they cannot post their views in this forum.

http://www.jwfan.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=20175

My answer is Batman Begins (film) by a mile.

I don't particularly care for either score, although I do find some parts of Batman Begins more memorable (and I do actually like its two sequel scores) so I went with that one.