Will The Force Awakens be Williams' 50th best score nomination?

crumbs

John Williams at the 2016 Academy Awards  

62 members have voted

1. 1. Will The Force Awakens be Williams' 50th best score nomination?

2. 2. What would have happened if schedules allowed John to score both Episode 7 and Bridge of Spies

• Both scores would have been nominated
    • Only Bridge of Spies would have been nominated
    • Only The Force Awakens would have been nominated
    • Neither would have been nominated
    • I don't know man - I just wanted to vote on the simple question above!

On 12/23/2015 at 7:49 AM, Taikomochi said:

I think it's going way too far to say it has no chance.  It probably has a stronger chance than anything since Memoirs of a Geisha.  I still don't expect it to win, but I'd also not be shocked if it did.

I'd say Lincoln had a much better shot at winning than TFA.  It was to a critically adored, non-sequel, dramatic movie with a real shot at winning more "major" awards (Best Picture, Best Director, Best Actor).  There were no scores with obvious advantages that year (unlike, for instance, 2011's The Artist).  I'd be very surprised if TFA won.  It's rare enough for fantasy scores to win Best Score, let alone sequel fantasy scores (with RotK being the exception).

The music branch determine the nominees don't they? Can't see them passing up John's score, it's probably the most musically complex film score of 2015. And really, when was the last time he only scored one film in a year and it didn't get nominated?

The general Academy voters are the ones who'll snub him from actually winning.

Yeah I'd be amazed if JW isn't nominated. When's the last time he wasn't nominated for anything in a year when he worked? Didn't Book Thief get a nomination? That score isn't even very good.

3 minutes ago, Romão said:

Yeah, but the score was pretty much nominated all across the board (Oscars, Baftas, Golden Globes, Grammys, etc)

Which means TFA is a lock for score nominations across the board as well. I don't think this was ever a question anyways. JW is always nominated. An oscar win is a different question and probably won't happen. 

He won't win, don't even get your hopes up. His odds are greater for an original piece like The BFG, if he delivers something as magical as Potter or E.T.

The one thing that Williams has going for him is that they have had a tendency lately to give Score to the big "tech winner" (Grand Budapest, Gravity, Life of Pi). So that could follow suit, but those were also Best Picture nominees. Even if TFA doesn't make the cut, though, I could still see people just going down the list and checking off all the tech stuff for Star Wars. I don't think the argument about "They don't award fantasy/adventure sequel scores!" necessarily applies because this is the biggest movie ever right now.

But there's also the possibility that people think only the old stuff stood out. Thing is, there just isn't a really clear alternative right now to say absolutely no chance....I want to say Morricone, not sure if Hateful Eight is as popular as Basterds or Django were. I guess Carol is a Best Picture contender with pretty music, but that didn't get noticed at BAFTA even though they liked the movie. People are really liking Bridge of Spies...it may finally go to Newman which would be hilarious :P

4 hours ago, crumbs said:

And really, when was the last time he only scored one film in a year and it didn't get nominated?

Looking at his Wikipedia and starting from his first nomination, these were the only years where he was totally snubbed....

1970 - Storia di una donna

1976 - Family Plot, The Missouri Breaks, Midway

1979 - Dracula, 1941

1986 - Spacecamp

1992 - Home Alone 2, Far and Away

2008 - Indy 4

Forgot Indy 4 was snubbed, but that film was really derided by the time the Oscars came around. TFA is still at fever pitch and it has been received tremendously well by critics and fans. It will definitely get the technical awards like Avatar but that's about it.

Keep in mind Horner got a nomination for Avatar but still lost to Giacchino (Up).

Right, but Up won because of that "Married Life" sequence that everybody fell in love with. It was the biggest talking point of that movie, the thing everybody walked away from chattering about, probably what got it a Best Picture nomination. Gia made everybody cry that year!

I think Horner probably would have won otherwise and this year doesn't really have anything like that, so I think it's still a question mark. Since The Revenant is ineligible for the Oscars, I hope it wins both the Golden Globe and the BAFTA award. Then we'll have no clue! ;)

2 hours ago, crumbs said:

He won't win, don't even get your hopes up. His odds are greater for an original piece like The BFG, if he delivers something as magical as Potter or E.T.

I have a feeling that The BFG will be more of a War Horse type of score than an E.T or even Harry Potter type of score.  Which isn't a bad thing by any means but I doubt it'll end up being considered a classic by either the general movie-going or even film score community.  I'm not even that excited for it.  At least not yet...

2 hours ago, TheGreyPilgrim said:

He could win....

He should win...

We'll be lucky if it's even nominated. It's a competitive year this year.

But there's no way Morricone won't be walking away with that Oscar. He's assured. People who know about him will vote for him. The less intelligent voters will be voting for the foreign and Tarantino factors.

I guarantee it.

I don't understand why people keep on saying the Oscars are not relevant anymore, yet still talk about them an awful lot and want Williams to win.

If the Oscars are not relevant, then Williams winning wouldn't mean a damn thing about the quality of the score or the public's reception of it, amirite? Oh, wait, that's right, if Williams does win, suddenly the Oscars got it right for once, and it's a worthy win, blablablabla...

Ah, people... I'm glad I'm not one of them!

7 hours ago, artguy360 said:

Yeah I'd be amazed if JW isn't nominated. When's the last time he wasn't nominated for anything in a year when he worked? Didn't Book Thief get a nomination? That score isn't even very good.

Artguy, I hate to burst your bubble, but NONE of the prequels got a nomination for best score.

Look it up!

And also what is this crap about Walt Disney being nominated MORE times than John WIlliams?

For what? Williams is a composer-Walt Disney is an *entity*.

For what? Best score? Best Animation? Best Picture? Best *whatever*?

Please!

(From Wikipedia)

Williams has won five Academy Awards, four Golden Globe Awards, seven British Academy Film Awards, and 22 Grammy Awards. With 49 Academy Award nominations, Williams is the second most-nominated individual, after Walt Disney.

3 hours ago, mrbellamy said:

The one thing that Williams has going for him is that they have had a tendency lately to give Score to the big "tech winner" (Grand Budapest, Gravity, Life of Pi). So that could follow suit, but those were also Best Picture nominees. Even if TFA doesn't make the cut, though, I could still see people just going down the list and checking off all the tech stuff for Star Wars. I don't think the argument about "They don't award fantasy/adventure sequel scores!" necessarily applies because this is the biggest movie ever right now.

But there's also the possibility that people think only the old stuff stood out. Thing is, there just isn't a really clear alternative right now to say absolutely no chance....I want to say Morricone, not sure if Hateful Eight is as popular as Basterds or Django were. I guess Carol is a Best Picture contender with pretty music, but that didn't get noticed at BAFTA even though they liked the movie. People are really liking Bridge of Spies...it may finally go to Newman which would be hilarious :P

Looking at his Wikipedia and starting from his first nomination, these were the only years where he was totally snubbed....

1970 - Storia di una donna

1976 - Family Plot, The Missouri Breaks, Midway

1979 - Dracula, 1941

1986 - Spacecamp

1992 - Home Alone 2, Far and Away

2008 - Indy 4

Oh Bellamy, RESEARCH!

1999-The Phantom Menace
2002-Attack Of The Clones
2005-Revenge Of The Sith.

22 minutes ago, skyy38 said:

Artguy, I hate to burst your bubble, but NONE of the prequels got a nomination for best score.

Look it up!

And also what is this crap about Walt Disney being nominated MORE times than John WIlliams?

For what? Williams is a composer-Walt Disney is an *entity*.

For what? Best score? Best Animation? Best Picture? Best *whatever*?

Please!

(From Wikipedia)

Williams has won five Academy Awards, four Golden Globe Awards, seven British Academy Film Awards, and 22 Grammy Awards. With 49 Academy Award nominations, Williams is the second most-nominated individual, after Walt Disney.

But JW was still nominated in 1999, 2002, and 2005. Not for the prequel scores but for other scores composed those years. I think an earlier post was right in finding the few times he wasn't nominated at all in a year he scored a film and they were all from the beginning of his career, well except 2008 but he deserved that snub.

And those 59 nominations are all for Walt Disney the person, not Disney the company.

2 hours ago, Mr. Big said:

I have a feeling that The BFG will be more of a War Horse type of score than an E.T or even Harry Potter type of score.  Which isn't a bad thing by any means but I doubt it'll end up being considered a classic by either the general movie-going or even film score community.  I'm not even that excited for it.  At least not yet...

Likewise, I don't think it'll be the score we're all expecting ("magical, whimsical, adventurous, Potter-esque"). Spielberg's had a penchant lately for defying expectations.

2 hours ago, Drax said:

Do they even listen to their FYC CDs?

Almost certainly not. Each Academy member gets dozens of FYC CDs and DVDs of each film in the equation. If they've seen the film why would they even bother listening to the FYC CD? For years now, Best Original Score has been the consolation prize given to the film that just couldn't quite get the Best Picture nod.

1 minute ago, crumbs said:

For years now, Best Original Score has been the consolation prize given to the film that just couldn't quite get the Best Picture nod.

Yes, but if Williams wins, that won't be the case, of course! That will be because he deserved it, not because it's a consolation prize for TFA!

8 minutes ago, BloodBoal said:

Yes, but if Williams wins, that won't be the case, of course! That will be because he deserved it, not because it's a consolation prize for TFA!

It will be a sign that the Academy has finally done the right thing and all on JWFan shall once again sing their praises! 

Williams certainly doesn't need any Oscars or rewards to confirm his relevance and importance to film music, let alone his talent and abilities as a composer.  The jury is pretty much in at this point, is it not?

What bothers me more is the apparent incompetence of the voters most of the time.  If you're going to have a competition then at least make it seem like you're trying.

7 hours ago, crumbs said:

Fiddler on the Roof doesn't really count! He deserves a win for at least 5 completely original scores works!

And nominations for a few more! Such as TPM, Dracula and Jurassic Park.

No, this will not be Williams 50th nomination.

Too much time, too much water under the bridge.....

When I finally found out that "The Last Crusade" was not recorded by the lso, I was surprised, because some "recording-engineer-whiz" had to be responsible for "sonic continuity", at the time, in order for it to sound "the same" as the previous two soundtracks recorded by the lso.

That is not the case with this soundtrack, nor is it with the movie.

The entire concept has gone to f*cking hell, and I hope it stays there.......

I like Yoda, will just drag out my DVD of the *original* Star Wars and watch it in peace, before "night falls."

Good luck to the rest of you.....

21 hours ago, Stefancos said:

Temple Of Doom wasn't done with the LSO either.

I am very surprised at that fact, seeing how the "west coast orchestra" managed to "sound" like the LSO, as well as for The Last Crusade.

Now, the really big question-

Why does TFA sound like relative sh*t?

Especially with the much-vaunted Shawn Murphy at the helm and all of the available technology that has passed before?

Or did everyone involved, just get worn down by JJ Abram's "work method."

28 minutes ago, skyy38 said:

I am very surprised at that fact, seeing how the "west coast orchestra" managed to "sound" like the LSO, as well as for The Last Crusade.

Now, the really big question-

Especially with the much-vaunted Shawn Murphy at the helm and all of the available technology that has passed before?

Or did everyone involved, just get worn down by JJ Abram's "work method."

iWKad22.jpg

4 hours ago, skyy38 said:

skyy38, I would really like to know why you think The Force Awakens doesn't sound good to you. It certainly sound different than any previous Star Wars scores, but I'm curious about what aspects didn't deliver for you.