Jerry Goldsmith's Top 10 Scores

Josh500

We actually did it twice, ten years apart. Joey ran the proceedings both times. I think the last one was at least two or three years ago now. The Empire Strikes Back won in both cases, and though I think there might've been a little movement on the list, most of the same scores were on each one.

Of course there's not. Like I said, we've already got one for him, and we'll shortly (like, tomorrow) have one for Horner as well.

When was the Williams one? Don't remember doing that.

The thread where we voted: http://www.jwfan.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=22224

The thread where the results were posted: http://www.jwfan.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=22871

I slightly disagree with myself in the one Jason posted, so maybe we do need to have another one.

I basically don't even listen to the Home Alone scores anymore. Amazing Stories: The Mission is obviously a top 10 John Williams score.

Ummm...I did one last year!

You're right, I remember that. I'll have to see if I agree with my choices.

Oh you did a strange format though, by decade. We need top 10 lists.

Thanks for posting those, Jay. I was going to go looking for them (to draw some ideas about the added metrics he used), and now you've saved me the time.

If you want to use the children analogy, scores like John Goldfarb, Please Come Home! or A.I. would obviously be screw-ups and could easily be disregarded.

What? A.I. is one of my all time favorites.

If you want to use the children analogy, scores like John Goldfarb, Please Come Home! or A.I. would obviously be screw-ups and could easily be disregarded.

What? A.I. is one of my all time favorites.

I knew I liked you.

Because it's too new and lacks big fanfaric themes and the nostalgia factor that so many are ruled by, so it's a popular choice for hipster JWFans who want a villain for their percieved victimization of scores like Superman and Hook.

Because it's too new and lacks big fanfaric themes and the nostalgia factor that so many are ruled by, so it's a popular choice for hipster JWFans who want a villain for their percieved victimization of scores like Superman and Hook.

"Hipster"?

Probably not gonna make any Top Ten but i still want to point in the criminally overlooked section of 'light and breezy Jerry': the swinging 60's pop/baroque score for this british movie is just...gorgeous:

I don't dislike it, but all it needs is a 40 minute album. There's a lot of meandering fluff on that first disc in the LLL. Most of the juicy stuff is on the second disc.

Rubbish.

It's not an AI alliance, it's an AI cult!

Ya creepy weirdos who think David is some messiah and his old girl is like the Virgin Mary and Teddy is the Holy Spirit. And you show up at AI church on Sundays and sing your Blue Fairy hymns and For Always.

I don't dislike it, but all it needs is a 40 minute album. There's a lot of meandering fluff on that first disc in the LLL. Most of the juicy stuff is on the second disc.

I prefer the hypnotic flow of the understated first half to the more highlight filled second half.

Ya creepy weirdos who think David is some messiah and his old girl is like the Virgin Mary and Teddy is the Holy Spirit. And you show up at AI church on Sundays and sing your Blue Fairy hymns and For Always.

Please! We attend the church of the immaculate heart.

How has Patton not been mentioned yet? What is wrong with you people?!?!? I still have to put my list together, but come on people - Patton!!!

Nothing's wrong with me. Beyond the use of an echoplex, the score just doesn't grab me.

It's a good effective score, but due to its restrained nature it doesn't push my all-time classic button. I appreciated it a lot more after watching the film however.

I'll have to check out the film then!

We go in, look around our feet, sing songs, and when we come out, it's usually robotic prostitutes that we find.

We go in, look around our feet, sing songs, and when we come out, it's usually robotic prostitutes that we find.

Or Gigolo's.

. . . And already, things are off to an interesting start. This list is (so far) only slightly more predictable than Horner's list was as it evolved.

...purely in alphabetical order.

Okay.

SCORE-IN-MOVIES:

1. Alien

2. Planet of the Apes

3. Star Trek: TMP

4. Basic Instinct

5. First Blood

SOUNDTRACK ALBUMS (the original releases in all cases, of course):

1. The Mummy

2. The Last Run

3. Mulan

4. The Final Conflict

5. Under Fire

...or something like that. Except for the no. 1 spots in each list, these change continually.

Not necessarily in order, but here are my favorites.

1. Patton

2. Chinatown

3. Planet of the Apes

And in no order:

For those of you who are listing things "in no particular order," splitting lists, etc., I can only score them in the order you list them. If you want to make changes based on this understanding, feel free to; otherwise, they get tabulated as listed.

Star Trek: Voyager

Soarin' Over California

He didn't really score Voyager, and Soarin' isn't technically a film work . . . but I added them nonetheless. (Not like they're much of a threat to the top 10, which would require a regulations committee to make some kind of ruling.)

8. Star Trek
9. Rambo

Without further clarification, I can only assume your #8 is The Motion Picture (given that he scored five films in all), and your #9 is the sequel to First Blood.

After a quick imdb of his resume there are still a LOT of his scores I've never heard. But I will say of those I have heard these are my favorite.

1. Poltergeist

2. Gremlins

3. Legend

4. Mulan

5. Secret of Nimh

6. LA Confidential

7. Congo

8. First Knight

9. Medicine Man

10. The Burbs

Remember when I told you you're unique? You just proved it, by being the only person who hasn't put in a vote for ST:TMP. Congrats!

I forgot to include Alien in my list. I knew I forgot something.

Feel free to amend your list (especially to add this score!).

*edited*

1. Patton

2. City of Fear

3. Freud

4. City Hall

5. Hoosiers

6. Chinatown

7. Air Force One

8. Islands in the Stream

9. Alien

10. LA Confidential

Honorable Mentions: Total Recall, Star Trek, The Spiral Road, and The Other.

I forgot to include Alien in my list. I knew I forgot something.

Feel free to amend your list (especially to add this score!).

Done!

Not sure about exact order but these 10 would be my most cherished ones.

1. Star Trek: The Motion Picture

2. QB VII

3. Basic Instinct

4. City Hall

5. Twilight Zone - The Movie

6. Legend

7. Patton

8. The Omen

9. Capricorn One

10. The Ghost and the Darkness (The Edge used would be on this spot up until recently)

Karol

This was a heckuva lot easier than the Horner list. I don't know if that's because Jerry's scores are more distinguishable from one another (I don't think many folks would deny that), of if his best just stands out more than JH's do. Whatever the case, I only really had a slight issue with the ordering of the last few. The first six or so were set in stone from the word "go":

1. Star Trek: The Motion Picture

2. Poltergeist

3. Alien

4. The Mummy

5. Rudy

6. Total Recall

7. Explorers

8. Star Trek: First Contact

9. First Knight

10. Star Trek V: The Final Frontier

I'm a little ambivalent about ST scores taking up three spaces in my top 10, so I may actually change out that last one with one of the runners up before the polls close:

- Innerspace

- Air Force One

- Hoosiers

- Powder

- Twilight Zone: The Movie

1. The Artist Who Did Not Want To Paint

2. The Wind and the Lion

3. Night Crossing

4. Star Trek: The Motion Picture

5. Planet of the Apes

6. Capricorn One

7. The Blue Max