Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom (J.A. Bayona 2018)

Matt C

• 4 weeks later...

Ah. Yea. It was fairly amusing this spring/summer seeing some members so so so antipatory towards Jurassic World. Like it was going to change their lives somehow. It's just another popcorn flick.

Spielberg captured lightning in a bottle the first time around and another film like that won't come around for a while yet

Only the first two are canon to me. I've already forgotten about Jurassic World and my therapist helped me to get over Jurassic Park ///. See, I can talk about it without breaking things now!

Only the first two are canon to me. I've already forgotten about Jurassic World and my therapist helped me to get over Jurassic Park ///. See, I can talk about it without breaking things now!

tumblr_nhn8g9BeFR1somw7ho3_500.png

Hey, I love TLW. I can watch it almost any time, but it's not a good movie. It has great individual scenes, but as a whole it doesn't work.

The T-Rex rampage at the end is so damn good, though. I don't know why people hate so much on it.

Am I the only one who loved Jurassic World, yet has almost no interest in Jurassic World 2 (at present time)? Until I know more of what the actual plot is, perhaps. But everything they have alluded to what the sequel will be about (including the hints in the film itself) just doesn't work for me as a "Jurassic Park" film, despite it sounding like a cool film of its own.

From what is being said, they are taking the story away from the islands. While in some ways this is a good thing to keep the series fresh and different, it just takes away the mystique the series has always had with the islands. For me the islands ARE Jurassic Park. Both islands have this wonder about them because they were the unique places the dinosaurs were made and showcased. A unique place that only existed far away that was self-contained and terrifyingly inescapable. And the islands are just iconic now. For me, seeing the old Visitor's Center in Jurassic World (despite its brevity) was one of the highlights of the entire film. Because it was something I always wanted to see again in a ruined state after everything that happened. That was what The Lost World was missing for me. Despite seeing those old buildings in ruins of the place where the dinosaurs were made, there was no true visual connection to what we saw before to dredge up any emotion about it (apart from the mural on the wall in one scene). But in Jurassic World, even when we didn't see familiar landmarks or sites, just knowing that the whole film took place on a remote location cut off from the rest of the world gave the film that sense of isolation.

But now the whole notion is that they are working on making these dinosaurs on the mainland somewhere. Being used for military purposes or other strange genetic modifications. The writer/director of Jurassic World also keeps talking about how it will focus on the relationship between "dinosaurs and man" coexisting in the world (hence why he even alluded the title "Jurassic World" wasn't limited to the name of the park itself). Eventually, I guess, being as common place in the world as any other animal. All interesting stuff! But I guess one of my big concerns is if this will suddenly be a dinosaurs TAKING OVER THE WORLD story, as in shrinking the human species to "Primal Rage" caveman levels? Because I would never buy it, if it is. I'm not going to lie: the reason why the Indominus couldn't be taken out wasn't because it was for formidable but because of human stupidity. Unlike the first film, they had BIG weapons this time, and they still couldn't hit it? It's a pretty big target! Granted many, if not most, dinosaurs were hardly human size. I guess those would be harder to take out.

Regardless of how believable it would be, and exactly how we would coexist with the dinosaurs, my biggest problem is: does this still feel like Jurassic Park? One of the reasons why even The Lost World and Jurassic Park 3 felt like something was missing was because they were missing the one thing that drew us into it in the first place: THE PARK! Sure, most say we see these movies for the dinosaurs. But is that really accurate? There have been a number of films and tv shows and other programs about dinosaurs before and after Jurassic Park. While they obviously varied in quality, there were some that had effects of the dinosaurs that were definitely on par with the best they had at the time (like Disney's Dinosaur, despite the damn things talking). But none of those had nearly the same draw the first Jurassic Park had. Not even it's own first two sequels. So why, then, did it take the 4th film for people to suddenly want to go back, when many here (even me) thought it would draw in a modest crowd at best? The park. For whatever reason, the idea of a single place where people could go to experience these creatures in a zoo-like setting with attractions instills our imagination. Sure, Lost World still had it's own interesting ruins of the place where they were made. But that whole idea just made it feel like a forgotten little secret. Jurassic Park/World felt like a real place you actually wanted to be at. That's the big difference.

So no matter how interesting the plot is, no matter how unique a spin they make on the story; the mystique is being taken away yet again. Before Jurassic Park 4 was revealed to be a "new park" built over the old one, I felt the same as I do now for the next sequel to the point where I was hoping they would just not even make it. Here I am feeling the same way again. I'm probably in the minority, but I wish they would have made a trilogy set at the new working park. Each film some big conflict would happen, but not enough to shut down the park indefinitely until the final film, and that would have been it. Like the conflicts would have mostly been away from the eyes of the tourists until the final film, and more "behind the scenes" with the workers. Honestly, a whole film could have been made about how the park was built over the old one with the dinosaurs that were still there and how they captured or killed them (we know the T-Rex we see is the original, so were there others?). There was a lot of opportunity and room for them to spread this out and really bring people back for more stuff with the park. But nope. There's no way it could re-open now. It's just going to be ruins to rot with the ruins already there from the first film (which were now also destroyed by the Indominus; meaning we'll definitely never see the original park stuff again).

And since Dr. Wu went off the island, along with most of his research and materials that were important, there's no reason at all for any future film to go back to the original islands that I can currently see. Sure, we got two islands with wild dinosaurs now (Sorna, I'm sure, is still protected by the government as a preserve and maybe the same will happen to Nublar now unless it gets blown up novel-style). But when the plot has Wu to make any dinosaurs he wants, and however he wants, why would there be any reason to go back to those islands and do a whole "Lost World" hunt all over again? It may be less expensive, but it's much safer and controlled than risking lives to capture. Besides, since they are clearly going back to the novel version of Wu and making him even MORE ambitious, he will likely tell them that for whatever their new purposes of the dinosaurs are, he could make them BETTER. That the versions on Nublar and Sorna won't be nearly as good as he could make them now, however they want them. Perhaps even more easily controlled or whatever he believes can be done. Just like how Hoskins was saying "imagine one of these (Indominus) a fraction of the size" taking orders, etc.

Essentially, my drawn-out post is saying that I don't like the direction they are taking the story. And yet, I do think it is the only real direction they could take it now without going back to one of the islands and doing the same thing over again. Seeing the ruins of Jurassic World at Nublar would be cool. Learning more about what went on at Sorna would also be cool. But there's no more story for those things to happen. I'm actually amazed what we got for Jurassic World, because I never thought we would get a new park story unless it was a flat-out remake. And even then, I never thought it would be rebuilt on the original island of Nublar, and give us one last look at the original park. I thought that dream of mine was long-gone because of these sequel ideas running around. But now they are essentially back. So my interest is going back down.

It'll be curious to see how big the next film will be. I'm sure the opening will be huge (just like I think Lost World's was). But I have a feeling the same thing will happen to it: it will drop off. Because now they are forced to take the story in a direction that takes things away from what made it so imaginatively fulfilling in the first place. It's not Jurassic Park anymore.

Who else feels this way?

Also, I know this will NEVER happen, but the one sequel idea I think would be great would be to have just ONE person stuck on Isla Nublar or Sorna. They would encounter dinosaurs, obviously, but also uncover secrets of the island's ruins. Alone. Kind of like the failed PC game for the second film called "Trespasser". But I think a "Cast Away" meets "Jurassic Park" film, taking place among the remnants of the park itself, would be something unique and potentially a personal journey story meets thrilling adventure. Again; it'll never happen.

The film is still 2 years away from shooting, so they have plenty of time to re-write. They could completely change the the plan they have now by then

That is definitely true that the story could still be changed. And be delayed for any number of reasons, just like Jurassic Park 4 was. But I have a feeling this one won't get delayed since Jurassic World did so well. They want to ride on the success of it now. While you're right it is possible the entire story could change, I think Spielberg and Universal probably will do whatever Trevorrow wants. It took them (somehow) 14 years to finally come up with the sequel they wanted to sell to us, and from the way Spielberg talks about him, Trevorrow came up with the magical ingredients to make it all work as well as it did. I'm sure the money the studio itself saw will think the same way, unless they are complete idiots. But it seems like Universal is finally making some good choices these days, or at least very profitable ones.

Besides, the seeds to go off-island are already planted in Jurassic World itself with Dr. Wu getting off the island with his research and all of the talk of further genetic tampering and using the dinosaurs for more devious purposes. It's all in the setup of the story already as means to naturally progress. Sure, they could still jettison all of that setup they put in place if they want, but Trevorrow sounds confident that's where it is going (and we all know it is the kind of thing Spielberg wanted all along before he shifted gears at the very end; likely due to the bad reaction the leaked John Sayles script). Sure, he won't be directing it (which could also change, I know), but he is writing it and producing it.

This isn't quite the same as having that ending of Jurassic Park 3 of the Pteranodons getting off the island being tossed aside and forgotten (unless you count the viral site's explanation of what happened after that ending). That film was the weakest performing film of the series and was generally disliked loudly by most fans (mostly due to the Spinosaurus killing the Rex reaction being overblown). Once they got their numbers and undoubtedly heard the reactions, whatever ideas they had with that ending and the series were tossed aside. Did you know the characters of the third film were to originally be dragged out into a trilogy before the Sayles script and others were made to instead focus on the hybrid dinos with guns ideas? All of the actors whose characters survived were originally in contract for 3 films in Jurassic Park 3. Could any of us fathom following a series with Amanda and Paul Kirby screaming their annoying heads off all the way through? That's a scary alternate reality right there.

But Jurassic World was the strongest performing film of the series, and was not only generally liked by most fans, it attracted a whole generation of new fans to boot. That last bit was something the other sequels hardly pulled off at all. They simply didn't have that same general appeal the first film and this one have. They were darker or more forgettable adventures that didn't really stick with you (except maybe in short moments). Since Trevorrow is the one they keep pointing to in making this happen, they're going to do whatever he wants now. Whether it's really a good idea or not.

Regardless, unless they completely retcon Jurassic World (which they won't if Trevorrow is involved at all), there's no way to really involve the islands anymore. The only other way is to do a prequel or complete remake or that idea I mentioned in my previous post. But I don't see those things happening.

But maybe they'll do a TV series set on a still-functioning Jurassic World... ;)

Well, the freezing compartments of the genetic material could still malfunction and INGEN is forced to hunt animals from sorna and Nublar for their purposes (they need resources quickly)... there you have Claire and Owen working to prevent it (saving blue from experiments and preventing ingen to create mutated dinosaurs for the military)

You can add byosin into the plot (who wants to make toy dinosaurs for the common people).

One can hope :P though it sounds a little like the lost world...

One can hope :P though it sounds a little like the lost world...

Well, if JW is a soft reboot of the first film, it wouldn't be strange if JW2 was a reboot of sorts of TLW.

A TV show with dinosaurs, overseen by Spielberg? Sounds like a winner!

Yes! It could be called.... Terra.... something.... Damn it, I had something for this.

• 2 weeks later...

I really hope Trevorrow or someone at Universal would push for Giacchino so they could keep the scores consistent, but I'm never sure if executives really care that much about the score.

Its very unlikely Jurassic World 2 will miss its June 2018 release date.

I think Universal had Trevorrow & Derek Connolly writing the Jurassic World 2 script before the follow-up was announced. Or at least cracked a treatment before going full steam ahead.

Oh, wow. "Jurassic World 2" and "World War Z 2".

Sometimes you can have too much choice.

What about doing a film about zombies and dinosaurs? Or zombie dinosaurs! That would have been something. JURASSIC WAR Z.

ROTFLMAO

: