Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom (J.A. Bayona 2018)

Matt C

If Bayona directed JW2, I wonder if Giacchino would score, or Fernando Velázquez would

I'm pretty sure Velazquez would score a Bayona-directed JW2. Velazquez has scored several big-budget studio films, including Hercules and Crimson Peak. I would love to see what he would do with Williams' themes.

He can't be worse then Gia!

I think he's better, actually. His scores for Spanish movies The Orphanage and Shiver are excellent; there are shades of both in Crimson Peak. When he's not forced to incorporate RC flourishes in stuff like Hercules, he can deliver bombast and wonder.

• 2 months later...

Bryce Dallas Howard Teases Her Character’s Return in Jurassic World Sequel

Claire is a different person now. The person she is at the end of the movie is not the person she was in the beginning. Her armor of sorts was that white, pristine outfit with heels in a very corporate environment and stuff, and the chick at the end… totally different. So yeah… it better not be heels.

Howard's character was one of the main things that drove me mad about this film. Every decision she made demonstrated utter incompetence at the practicalities of running a theme park with the sort of risks JW faces. What do you do when a dinosaur has escaped? Panic, apparently.

In this case, all the story and character problems overshadowed any enjoyment I got from the action sequences.

• 2 months later...

Ok.. Just saw in the TV news here that Bayona has finally signed to direct this.

It must be true since other places in english are reporting it:

http://variety.com/2016/film/news/jurassic-world-2-director-ja-bayona-1201755600/

I want a Giacchino score...but Velazquez could do well...if the studio do not force him to use the RCP sound his hollywood scores are getting....

4 minutes ago, Mr. Big said:

I'd rather have Giacchino do it than Velasquez.

1 minute ago, Stefancos said:

Fixed!

I'll just fix that even more in light of where we are.

4 minutes ago, Mr. Big said:

I'd rather have Williams do it than Giacchino.

Great news! JURASSIC WORLD was a massive disappointment, and Giacchino's score was awful, as usual. Having Bayona and preferably Velazquez on board may re-ignite my passion for this again.

3 minutes ago, Stefancos said:

Both the film and score were almost the dictionary definition of "distinctly average".

I wouldn't say they were awful though. But it did prove that Gia in no way in the same league as Williams.

Well, I hate Giacchino's music (for the most part -- there are one or two exceptions), and I hate him even more because everyone else likes him, so there's that... :)

(even putting Williams and Giacchino in the same sentence is offensive. DAMN, I just did it myself!)

I love what Giacchino did with JW, but would be excited for Velazquez to do such a huge project. He clearly has the potential to be the next big thing. I've been a big fan of him for many years and his score for 'The Impossible' is perfection.

I'd rather new composers with the new directors from here on. Nothing Giacchino did in JW was particularly impressive; like Star Wars I'd rather all the new Jurassic films had their own voice.

And I say this as a Giacchino fan. He was clearly going through the motions by the time he started JW, having had no break after Inside Out and Tomorrowland.

JW was about par for the course when it comes to Giacchino for me.  Decent, usable, ultimately forgettable overall score with one nice theme and a couple of good cues.

• 5 months later...

JESUS CHRIST! Budget is $260 million!?!

http://www.scified.com/news/jurassic-world-2-will-have-a-budget-of-260-million-dollars

Does this mean animatronics are back or something, because that's a staggering increase from the $160M budget of the all-CGI JW. Trevorrow said they were too expensive beyond the Brachio head, and Universal wouldn't pay for them any longer.

7 minutes ago, Jay said:

The budget of Avengers 3 & 4 combined is $1 billion, so this is hardly that shocking

Yeah but those films end in gigantic all-CGI battles that last for like 20 minutes and probably cost $100m alone. Seems highly unusual for the Jurassic Park series to me, but yeah... inflation I guess.

Maybe they're going a more epic route than expected, similar to the Planet of the Apes reboots? The film starts with dinosaurs already reclaiming parts of the planet?

Oh yeah, Chris Pratt's fee might have gone up somewhat. ;)

Nothing to do with the thread (only that is JP related) but I freaking need this in my life

https://www.chroniclecollectibles.com/product/the-lost-world-jurassic-park-11-compsognathus/

If only it wasn't so goddamn expensive...

On 9/25/2016 at 9:03 PM, Muad'Dib said:

Nothing to do with the thread (only that is JP related) but I freaking need this in my life

https://www.chroniclecollectibles.com/product/the-lost-world-jurassic-park-11-compsognathus/

If only it wasn't so goddamn expensive...

That's actually pretty average for models.

• 2 weeks later...

Also some details about the plot:

http://www.independent.co.uk/arts-entertainment/films/news/jurassic-world-2-colin-trevorrow-plot-details-director-a7357141.html

“The dinosaurs will be a parable of the treatment animals receive today: the abuse, medical experimentation, pets, having wild animals in zoos like prisons, the use the military has made of them, animals as weapons,”

They're seriously going with the "trained raptors as soldiers" thing then?

That always struck me as the absolute worst idea I ever heard for a fourth Jurassic Park film, the first time I heard it suggested many, many years ago.

So I'm not entirely convinced I should be excited about this.

While I like Jurassic World fine enough, the whole "trained raptors" thing does go pretty heavily AGAINST the first film where they're the "supreme danger".

Of course the third film already detracted a bit from that concept, which is on the one hand interesting, but on the other hand a bit of a shame.

Maybe it's OK if the raptors break free, eat their employers and basically wreak havoc on everyone and everything! :D

I agree. For years this "weaponised raptors" used by the military story has floated around, since JP2 I believe, and I always cringed when I read about it.

The reality is, as interesting as it is, you can only do so much with this concept. It's why Crichton didn't want to write a sequel in the first place, and only did so under pressure from Spielberg (who repaid the favour by quickly jettisoning most of his book). In fact the wonder and awe was pretty much gone after the first film, which is why the second two films were of declining quality, and why Jurassic World was essentially a remake. So right now they're where they were after the first one, with no where to go. Just another example of something that should be left alone.

I like the idea behind the second movie with the "wild island full of dinosaurs".

There's definitely a lot of fun and excitement to be had with that.

Also:

577243_v1.jpg

22 minutes ago, BloodBoal said:

Raptors vs terrorists! It's gonna be awesome!

Maybe it indeed could be! Or at the very least, absolutely hilarious and ridiculous for all the wrong reasons. :D

But I'd prefer that as a parody on Jurassic Park. Or something unrelated. Not as official part of it.

Exactly what Nick1066 said.

I'm not surprised. I was just hoping against hope that they'd somehow find a way to avoid it in the end.

Just like I was hoping against hope for many years that they'd find a way to avoid aliens in Indiana Jones.

Unfortunately that happened anyway. Despite it being an idea that was never going to fit comfortably with the rest of the series. :(

44 minutes ago, Pieter_Boelen said:

Just like I was hoping against hope for many years that they'd find a way to avoid aliens in Indiana Jones.

I never hoped they wouldn't use aliens in an Indiana Jones movie because I never imagined they'd ever use aliens in an Indiana Jones movie.

All they had to do was say the Crystal Skulls were inhabited by the ghosts of dead Mayan spirits or some nonsense like that and problem solved. Still a rubbish movie, just a little less cringeworthy. 

As it is, Indy 4 occupies a place on my mental and physical shelf right next to JP II & III, any Alien film after the second one and the Matrix sequels...i.e., it doesn't exist. I ignore it just as Spielberg is likely to do.