Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom (J.A. Bayona 2018)

Matt C

32 minutes ago, Nick1066 said:

As it is, Indy 4 occupies a place on my mental and physical shelf right next to JP II & III, any Alien film after the second one and the Matrix sequels...i.e., it doesn't exist. I ignore it just as Spielberg is likely to do. 

I actually like ALL of those movies you mention. I'm a staunch defender of JP II and III, ALIEN 3 and 4 (and PROMETHEUS, as well as the first AvP), as well as the MATRIX sequels. I even like INDY 4 for much of it, while also recognizing some of the flaws. I do, however, have far more issues with JP IV. Not as a popcorn film (where it succeeds moderately well), but as a betrayal of the first 3 films. That's why I can't picture even an excellent director like Bayona saving the upcoming 5th film.

I liked Prometheus OK, and I'll see the next one. Jurassic World was a film I skipped in the theatre because I thought it would be awful and I ended up enjoying the hell out of it. It was a celebration of the first film and, like me, simply ignored the next two. 

I moderately enjoyed Indy IV when I saw it but I think I had a bit of Phantom Menace syndrome at the time. Now I just think it's an abomination best not spoken of in polite society.

Well by "Phantom Menace syndrome" I meant the known psychological phenomenon that began in 1999 of tricking yourself into believing something is better than it actually is because it's been so anticipated for so long that your mind won't allow you to acknowledge its badness as a defence mechanism, usually protecting the part of your childhood brain that loves the original source material so much.

The passage of time tends to be the only known cure for this syndrome.

6 hours ago, Nick1066 said:

I never hoped they wouldn't use aliens in an Indiana Jones movie because I never imagined they'd ever use aliens in an Indiana Jones movie.

Haha, good one!

Unfortunately the idea of aliens for Indy 4 had been floating around since halfway into the 1990s.

I read about it on TheRaider.net ages before the film was even officially announced.

They had a plot summary of the original script there which was literally called Indiana Jones and the Saucer Men from Mars.

Turned out that this was NOT fake! But it *was* terrible.

For all the faults with the final film, I'm still intensely grateful at least it turned out better than that original concept.

According to Spielberg, it was Independence Day that prevented it. So as crazy as it sounds, thank you Roland Emmerich for saving us a truly terrible movie!

In the end, I can appreciate parts of it. Just like I don't particularly hate the Star Wars prequels.

But deeply flawed they most certainly are and I refuse to believe nothing better could have been made from them.

• 3 weeks later...

But that would cause a continuity conflict! You can't bring THE Dennis Nedry back.
A much more reasonable, down-to-earth way to bring Nedry back is to say that he uploaded a computer version of his brain into the original park's database. Not only is it a trendy plot point (Captain America 2 used it) but it also explains why Nedry's password protection in the first film was so thorough: he was the computer.

Or you could do the Dune Messiah / God Emperor thing, of a new species of Dino with Nedry's face. 

How about the body of the one that finished him off in the first film?

I mean, he's got the squeal already. Imagine it combined with the flaring hood of that original dino.

nedry.jpg

11 hours ago, Koray Savas said:

It's time to make America great again, it's time for... Jurassic War.

Western society has just changed so radically, and we're all running to catch up. I don't want to jump to any conclusions, but look... First and developing world cultures, species separated by centuries of evolution have just been suddenly thrown back into the mix together. How can we possibly have the slightest idea what to expect?

1 minute ago, Melange said:

Western society has just changed so radically, and we're all running to catch up. I don't want to jump to any conclusions, but look... First and developing world cultures, species separated by centuries of evolution have just been suddenly thrown back into the mix together. How can we possibly have the slightest idea what to expect?

anti-Muslim, anti-female and now anti-globalization?

Everything depends on scale, speed, balance.

Without moderating factors, it's that plastic lunch box with the sticker slapped on it. 

As it stands, working Men and Women rooting for Globalisation, are Turkeys voting for Christmas. 

Nothing much WOWed me about Jurassic World. I'm more enthused with Bayona at the helm.

Plus the casting of a character named 'Lucy' is intriguing, for obvious reasons. Really hope they go down a unique path in the film, even if it means going away from dinosaurs and into the Pleistocene era. Cloning early versions of man and seeing how they adapt in modern society is possibly a bit Planet of the Apes but it's a logical expansion of the franchise.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

That little girl must be Owen and claire's daughter. (seems redheaded)

Howard said her character had evolved alot. Having kids after the 1st film is the kind of Spielbergian evolution this series usually has...