Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom (J.A. Bayona 2018)

Matt C

The Raptors/Raptor-Human Hybrids shoot tiny spores of Raptor/Indominous Rex mutagens which infect other humans and dinosaurs. The real Alan Grant is stored in a hard drive which Ian Malcolm accidentally overwrites with his personal monologues on chaos theory and dinosaur impressions.

9 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

On the contrary.

Nothing about that movie works.  Not one character, not one action sequence.  There aren't any real suspense sequences, a staple of the franchise before.

Those are legit criticisms. I still could name many more movies worse than Jurassic World based on those observations and many others, though. ;)

5 minutes ago, BloodBoal said:

Except his Jurassic World score was pretty good.

Its actually one of his more recent ones that I enjoy. 

I just enjoy taking the piss out of him!

It deeply offended me.  I even watched it a second time many months later just to be sure I hadn't just been in a crappy mood.  I thought it was even worse the second time.

Obviously it was competently made from a technical perspective, I guess you could call it "average" in that sense.  But the story, the way the characters were written, to me seemed like they were from a very cynical, unfeeling, stupid person.  A person who literally does not understand on a fundamental level how stories work, how characters work.

The Pteranodon escape and the final Rex vs Indominus fight work. And the ending roar with Rexy....

Apart from that, I have a soft spot for all the Raptor stuff. That bike idea speaks to me like I was 12 again.

But yeah, good it ain't. Do I enjoy it? Sure. I wouldn't say it's in any bottom 5 by any means, though.

Maybe it was just the franchise being given to an incompetent fool.  A franchise previously directed by very natural, assured storytellers (I'm not saying Lost World or JP3 are great movies).  From seeing JW and everything I've heard/read of The Book of Henry, he cares more about up-ending audience expectations (see also that sequence with the assistant being killed that I just want to spit on) than anything else.  He has no grasp of tone at all.  It's a very shallow, childish approach to storytelling.

God help us all if Kathleen Kennedy can't whip him into shape.

I think Jurassic World lived up to the promise of every sequel to the original Jurassic Park.  It was certainly no worse than them.

Giacchino's score overall is not great, but there are a few pieces that I love.

33 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

Maybe it was just the franchise being given to an incompetent fool.  A franchise previously directed by very natural, assured storytellers (I'm not saying Lost World or JP3 are great movies).  From seeing JW and everything I've heard/read of The Book of Henry, he cares more about up-ending audience expectations (see also that sequence with the assistant being killed that I just want to spit on) than anything else.  He has no grasp of tone at all.  It's a very shallow, childish approach to storytelling..

I'm not pissing on Spielberg or Johnson here but these movies are simple, unassuming rollercoaster rides and the 'fall' you proclaim just isn't that high. I remember back in '93 everyone in our class saw JP and even at age 15, nobody considered it even a cool movie, let alone an impressive one. The computer graphics were novel and the action and suspense scenes took you in but all the lame Disney baggage like the cutout characters and the transparent 'motivational' arcs leveled that, they were embarrassing even for adolescents.

It's perfectly watchable but really one of those movies you just don't need to see twice. 

Maybe it was the bullshit winking "satire" about consumerist entertainment that really just drove me up the wall.  Like how it was so self-aware that it was a meaningless cash-in.

As one astute critic put it:

One critic went as far to call “Jurassic World” a “meta-modernist blockbuster.” But acknowledging a problem doesn’t solve it, any more than telling people you’re an asshole allows you to act like an asshole with impunity.

http://www.indiewire.com/2015/06/jurassic-world-is-a-bad-movie-about-why-movies-are-so-bad-130875/

This didn't even register with me. Fluff like this, who cares if it acts smarter than it is? It had bigger dinosaurs, raptors vs. motorbikes, the Hitchock 'Birds' tip of the hat and that was about it.

I don't turn my brain off at any movie!  That doesn't mean I require intellectual rigor from every film, but I've never liked a movie just for the dumb fluffy stuff.  I generally respond to sincerity and passion above all I think.  For all the things you might dislike about many Spielberg movies, he has never made a movie without the utmost sincerity of what he was trying to do.  I don't know how to communicate what I mean, because I'm not the best writer.

Even though I enjoyed Jurassic World for what it was, and what it was was 'okay,' but there is some major crap in it.

- The whole using the raptors as military weapons is beyond fucking stupid.

- The running away from a t-rex in high heels is ridiculous.

- The Indominous rex was boringly designed and wasn't scary.

- The brutal rated R death of the secretary woman was wayyyy over the line.

- The fact that anyone can control a gyro ball on their own with no supervision next to animals that weigh tonnes. And then they can on a whim just drive it out the parks boundaries. Pathetic.

- I even saw some idiots kayaking down a river next to drinking Brachiosaurs. They literally can accidentally step on you! They are not something you paddle next to!

Stuff like that bothered me. But I can enjoy it as a mindless monster movie.

14 minutes ago, Sally Spectra said:

Often I just like movies as background noise while I play with my phone.

What else are you playing with, eh?  Wink wink nudge nudge

Just now, Disco Stu said:

What else are you playing with, eh?  Wink wink nudge nudge

My fidget spinner with the Union Jack printed on it. It makes for a surprisingly effective... uh... toy.

9 hours ago, Stefancos said:

It's a deeply average, but totally inoffensive film.

Yup. The perfect template for the average modern blockbuster films. Mostly boring, but passably entertaining for the 2 hours its on for.

6 minutes ago, Bilbo Skywalker said:

I saw it 4 times in the cinema!

This...this makes me sad.

6 minutes ago, KK said:

This...this makes me sad.

There was very little else going on at the time and I was getting in cheap early at weekends. 

I dont think its a particularly good film but I enjoyed myself! 

I can understand if you enjoyed the film. But you enjoyed it 4 times? There must have been another way to spend your money!!

I think the first two times were on my own in the first two days of release.

The other two were because friends were going so I tagged along to hang out!

I saw it once in theatres. The childlike glee of excitement was wiped from my face as the film progressed. Giacchino's score was perfect, though listening to the score brings back the terrible imagery of the film. Flat shots, saturated in CGI.

I was rewatching the BTS featurettes for JP1,2&3 and looking at the craft that Spielberg, Winston and everyone else employed for those films, it seems they ignored everything that they learnt from making them. TFA did it right, an understanding for practicality and knowing just where the line to draw for CGI versus practical effects was. To top off my disappointment, when the JP themes were used it just came off as incredibly hollow. 

I'm hoping the next film can dredge World from the seemingly irredeemable opinion I have of it.

People say George Lucas ruined their childhoods, well Colin Trevorrow ruined my adulthood!

38 minutes ago, BloodBoal said:

But you watch every movie 4 times in the cinema!

I do seem to see a lot of things 4 times alright!

• 4 months later...

I’m ok with Gia returning. I thought musically his JW quotes were fine but they were poorly spotted (willing to give him the benefit of the doubt and assume that’s a director issue) his original themes were pretty decent.