Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom (J.A. Bayona 2018)

Matt C

15 minutes ago, Stefancos said:

Who's scoring? Gia again?

Ugh. His JW score was terrible especially in comparison to John's themes. It didnt help the movie was so bad.

• 2 weeks later...

I find Solo an uninteresting character and Rush aside I can’t remember the last time Howard made an enjoyable movie. I don’t have much hope!

I expects Solo to have a better score though!

2 minutes ago, Bilbo said:

I find Solo an uninteresting character and Rush aside I can’t remember the last time Howard made an enjoyable movie. I don’t have much hope!

I'm also looking forward to the score, but I fear it will be too hyper...

I don't think Ronnie can make a good movie out of a bad screenplay like some directors can.

His good movies of the past 15 years (Cinderella ManFrost/NixonRush) all had good screenplays.

(I'm assuming with Rush which I haven't seen but am told is very good, and Peter Morgan wrote it and Morgan is a very good writer)

Oh you should see Rush. Worth it for the cinematography alone. Beautiful looking film but the two leads are very good in it and it’s a compelling enough story even if, like me, you couldn’t GAF about car racing!

6 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

I don't think Ronnie can make a good movie out of a bad screenplay like some directors can.

I assume the screenplays to the new SW films go through thorough quality controls. It seems like Disney is giving quite a lot of creative freedom to the people involved, but if they're not up to standards it's certainly communicated.

2 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

On my list!

So all we can really hope for is that the Kasdans wrote a good screenplay here, and, if it is good, that the behind-the-scenes drama didn't hold it back too much

As long as it's not the Kardashians who write it...

13 minutes ago, Bilbo said:

I find Solo a more interesting character than Bilbo ;)

Solo is a character who, as a trope - the rogue with a heart of gold - is charming and effective.  That can mostly be attributed to Harrison Ford.  The trope is fine. Any character growth by the end of Jedi or TFA was pretty much been mandated by the plot, and not necessarily earned, in my opinion.  But the trope itself is fine and Ford does it well.

Ford's not in the new one, so who knows whether it will be any good.  Donald Glover is in it, though, and that's pretty great.

A volcano threatens life on Isla Nublar, Claire, Owens, Malcolm and the kids unite to go back save the dinosaurs from extinction (?) and shenanigans ensue in a CGI masterpiece that makes Spielberg's films look like the films of yesterday. The film was completely shot on one soundstage by actors in Mo-cap suits, the dinosaurs were created by the wizards at ILM and Stan Winston Studios using state-of-the-art tennis balls on sticks. See it in theatres 2018.

The Malcolm angle could be good, yes, but if the first film is anything to go by, I can't say I'm optimistic...

If a film can still conjure up that same magic from over two decades ago that one couldn't do two years ago, it's time to seriously reevaluate. I blame World's failure on the rewrites which boiled down to doing a sub-par rehash of the first film. TFA was kind of a rehash, but that film had a real force behind it to make it special.

I don't know, it looks like they've weaponized at least one species into breathing fire... And yet it still looks interesting to me. For now.

A trailer before the trailer. That's new. Also according to someone I know Goldblum said in an interview he only has two scenes in this film. Don't be surprised if they oversell his role in all the marketing. 

On 23 November 2017 at 4:54 PM, JoeinAR said:

Ugh. His JW score was terrible especially in comparison to John's themes. It didnt help the movie was so bad.

What exactly was the problem with Giacchino's score?

11 hours ago, Baby Jane Hudson said:

He's box office poison after Independence Day Resurgence.

95% of the heavy lifting in Thor: Ragnarok (which will end the year as America's #5 or #6 biggest moneymaker) was on Goldblum's back!

9 hours ago, JTWfan77 said:

What exactly was the problem with Giacchino's score?

It was effortlessly mediocre.

Feel free to explaining why you think it was good.

1 hour ago, mstrox said:

95% of the heavy lifting in Thor: Ragnarok (which will end the year as America's #5 or #6 biggest moneymaker) was on Goldblum's back!

6 or 7. Star Wars will knock everyone down a peg. 

1 hour ago, JoeinAR said:

It was effortlessly mediocre.

Feel free to explaining why you think it was good.

Ok, I understand. I enjoy the score very much. It's a fun listen.