Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom (J.A. Bayona 2018)

Matt C

3 hours ago, nightscape94 said:

Just checked out the trailer.  Movie looks bad.  Also the trailer itself is terrible, just as a trailer.

I'm sorry, but how can you possibly know how the movie will be based on 2.5 minutes of trailer?

I've seen stunning trailers for absolute shite movies.

1 hour ago, JTWfan77 said:

I'm sorry, but how can you possibly know how the movie will be based on 2.5 minutes of trailer?

He’s not saying he knows, he’s saying it looks bad, which you can completely determine from a 2.5 minutes trailer. 

Just now, Koray Savas said:

He’s not saying he knows, he’s saying it looks bad, which you can completely determine from a 2.5 minutes trailer. 

I really don't get it. What looks bad about it? Yes, the editing and scoring is poor, so it's not a very good trailer. But how can one make assumptions about the movie based on 2-odd minutes of (probably unfinished FX-wise) footage?

1 minute ago, BloodBoal said:

A movie is supposed to give you an idea about the film it's trying to sell. If the trailer looks bad, it makes the movie looks bad. Simple as that.

Yes, but I still don't get what is bad about the trailer as it relates to the movie (not the trailer itself).

We can draw some conclusions from a trailer, but not all. Plenty of times I've seen a disappointing trailer, only to have the film deliver. My door is still open to this, even though there are elements I'm skeptical of.

6 minutes ago, JTWfan77 said:

Yes, but I still don't get what is bad about the trailer as it relates to the movie (not the trailer itself).

I'm afraid I don't understand your question.

5 minutes ago, Thor said:

We can draw some conclusions from a trailer, but not all. Plenty of times I've seen a disappointing trailer, only to have the film deliver. My door is still open to this, even though there are elements I'm skeptical of.

nightscape94 didn't say the movie is bad, he said the movie looks bad (understand: "the trailer makes the film look like something bad").

1 minute ago, BloodBoal said:

I'm afraid I don't understand your question.

nightscape94 didn't say the movie is bad, he said the movie looks bad (understand: "the trailer makes the film look like something bad").

My question remains: what about the trailer makes the film look bad?

13 minutes ago, BloodBoal said:

Well, I think it looks a whole lot better than the gaudy JURASSIC WORLD. At least there's more grain to the image; more texture. I'll await further judgement of the visual look untill I've seen the film. I just can't believe a visually oriented director like Bayona would deliver something less than good -- even for a big studio film like this. He even has his regular cinematographer Óscar Faura. No "Hollywood replacements" there.

The look of the film is actually one of the few things I'm optimistic about.

3 minutes ago, JTWfan77 said:

Ok, I give up. I must be an idiot for looking forward to this.

No one said that. No need to overreact like that.

We're just trying to explain why it looks bad to us (which is what you asked us).

I never understood the issue people had with the socalled "gymnastics scene". Talk about much ado about nothing! I think it's a clever little detail in the film, and it doesn't stand out like a sore thumb the way people make it out to be. I just saw the movie again for the 15th or 16th time last week, and it didn't bother me this time either.

4 hours ago, JTWfan77 said:

While I concede that it may be unfair to form a solidified and assured opinion about a movie based on a trailer, that is the trailer's job.  To convince me that the movie is good.  To sell me the idea of buying a ticket to see the whole thing in theaters.  As others have already stated accurately on my behalf, I'm not claiming I know that the movie will be bad, just that it appears to be that way.  Is that a 100% guarantee?  No, of course not.

When you stroll down the toy isle you make a judgement about what looks fun to play with based on design, accessories, color, packaging, and all sorts of other things.  The combination of these traits allows you to make an informed decision for yourself, as unfair as it may be to the creator, whose ultimate intention is for you to finally take it out of the box and discover it completely.

Sometimes a toy will surprise you and go against your initial bad impression, but a lot of the time it's exactly what you expected.

7 hours ago, JTWfan77 said:

- Terrible CGI. 

- Terrible characters from the first film.

- Terrible everything.

There's zero immersion because you can tell the actors aren't interacting with anything. Rewind 24 years and the Dinosaurs were more believable because they were there, the actors could see and interact with them.

The film could be good, but from the trailers alone, it looks like more of the same over-saturated CG dreck. 

Boy does that music in the trailer suck, but then so does the trailer. 

I dont get Chris Pratt's popularity. 

2 hours ago, JoeinAR said:

I dont get Chris Pratt's popularity. 

Loved him in PARKS & RECREATION. Less enthused about his new, beefed-up action stints.

But why you guys can't see that the visual look of this film (what we can see in the trailer, anyway) is a thousand times more interesting than in JURASSIC WORLD, is beyond me.

I'm curious to know if some of you have seen Bayona and Faura's previous movies, like ORFANATO, LO IMPOSSIBLE or A MONSTER CALLS?

6 hours ago, Arpy said:

- Terrible CGI. 

- Terrible characters from the first film.

- Terrible everything.

There's zero immersion because you can tell the actors aren't interacting with anything. Rewind 24 years and the Dinosaurs were more believable because they were there, the actors could see and interact with them.

The film could be good, but from the trailers alone, it looks like more of the same over-saturated CG dreck. 

Plus we know Gia is scoring it so we can use that as a point against the film too. 

19 minutes ago, Bilbo said:

You could probably have found an even more recent post saying the same thing. 

It’s just fun to rise the Gia fanboys

Jurassic World works best if you don't watch the movie and don't listen to the score.

1 hour ago, Jurassic Shark said:

Jurassic World works best if you don't watch the movie and don't listen to the score.

He, he. Agreed on the score. But the film has some enjoyable elements as a straight-up creature feature. I just don't think it's a very good JURASSIC PARK movie.

I have to agree, that looks terrible. The crowning cherry is the Ian Malcolm quote.

Grant talking to raptors via blowing into a bone in JP3 was terrible, too, but it would serve this series well if they dropped that even dumber playing paps to raptors aspect.

On 11/12/2017 at 11:28 PM, gkgyver said:

Grant talking to raptors via blowing into a bone in JP3 was terrible, too, but it would serve this series well if they dropped that even dumber playing paps to raptors aspect.

Difficult to disagree with that.

Raptors aren't supposed to be nice 'guys', are they?

So disappointing that Gia is returning after the thoroughly pedestrian, lazy effort he put in last time. Maybe his scores would be better if he stopped doing about 6 per year?

Really wish Bayona had brought in Fernando Velázquez; that would've been a fascinating mix and far more unique than whatever Gia will come up with.

And I say that as a former fan of Giacchino; sadly he's become a soulless proliferator of generic orchestral mediocrity.

5 hours ago, crumbs said:

And I say that as a former fan of Giacchino; sadly he's become a soulless proliferator of generic orchestral mediocrity.

Good....goooood!

The movement is growing.

Which makes it all the sadder, because he absolutely has the talent (just see his Pixar scores) but everything feels like a first pass, "good enough, better move on."

At least he only has two films on his schedule for next year. Hopefully he can devote more time and consideration to what he writes.