Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom (J.A. Bayona 2018)

Matt C

Yeah, I'm not into the "trailer remix" music in this and that it's caught on with trailers in general. It didn't turn me off, but I can understand it would others. 

I'm really not into Giacchino in general (I do love Inside Out too though), but I actually really love what he did for World. I can't really analyze as to why it resonated with me, I just like his themes a bit more than others seem to. I find myself whistling the Indominous motif from time and time, which is a juvenile way to say "I find the theme memorable!", but well, there it is. And Chasing the Dragons is awesome, or whatever that cue's called.

I enjoy Don Davis' JP3 too, but Giacchino's dinosaur dish has a lot more meat to it.  

1 hour ago, kaseykockroach said:

It is lonely that I'm supposedly the only one here who adored the last one and is giddy for this one, but what the hey, having only one film I'm excited for this year means I save money!

No, I enjoyed it too.

12 minutes ago, mstrox said:

For me, it’s not anything tangible.  I really liked all four Jurassic movies thus far including JW, but for some reason this looks real bad to me.  Maybe it’s the awful trailer music.  I’m not really invested in the Owen/Blue relationship that the trailers are playing up (in the sense that a raptor rushing in to save the day/protect a human is silly).

im hoping I’m wrong because I love dumb dinosaur adventures. The trailers just leave me cold.

You have no heart! Blue is an adorable raptor.

I hate that I'm worried sick as to whether she'll be okay. I love Claire Dearing and all, but she's obviously the main character, so of course she'll be fine (unless Bayona decides to pull a Maniac Cop 2 on us :P). 

Damn it, Blue, you can't take on the Indoraptor by yourself! 

I really like what I've seen of this Lucy girl, the child that was terrorized in that nightmare-inducing moment in the second trailer (I'm not looking up the actress' name out of laziness at the moment). She already looks like she could be one of the better Jurassic kids (I really liked Gray in the last one, Zach not so much). 

I liked Jurassic World, watched 3 times on the big screen. Like most post-90's Spielberg action movies, it has some great scenes and set-pieces but the sum of the parts doesn't make a good whole. I get emotional with the final roar every time, though.

The main problem JW seemed to have is that it ventured to closely to B-movie territory at times. You could say that Jurassic Park and Lost World are B-movies with big budgets, and you could be right, but for all their faults they pack a great deal of charm, TLW being the most flawed of the pair but still highly enjoyable. You can tell the stuff Spielberg was interested in making in this movie and the stuff he was doing to get out of the Universal contract. 

And in Fallen Kingdom they seem to be venturing even further into B-movie territory -which shouldn't be a problem, but for me it isn't what JP is about- like the shot of the Indoraptor creeping into the girl's room extending its hand first. Like, seriously, what the hell? Not an animalistic behaviour at all. 

Understandable indeed. My love for JW stemming from my love for B-monster movies very likely doesn't go with what other Jurassic fans seek. I'm quite glad this JP4 doesn't exist, for example, but I adore the insanity of it anyhow.

That said, I think the Indo hybrids are meant to be seen and loathed as monsters, in contrast to the 'pure' dinosaurs presented as animals. 

• 2 months later...

Probably the first trailer I've been intrigued with what Bayona's doing. It looks legitimately darker and scarier than JW, loving the visuals. That shot of the Mosasaurus is nightmare fuel.

Looks like Spielberg's finally gotten his abandoned 2009 Jurassic Park 4 script into production. I'm thinking this film ends particularly badly for mankind's dominance of the planet, ala the new Planet of the Apes.

On 15/04/2018 at 12:46 PM, crumbs said:

Looks like Spielberg's finally gotten his abandoned 2009 Jurassic Park 4 script into production. I'm thinking this film ends particularly badly for mankind's dominance of the planet, ala the new Planet of the Apes.

Is it still "Jurassic Park" then?

Oh wait... So THAT'S why it's "World" now?!?

LOLOL

Well.  I wasn't that into this movie before, and now I'm even less so - the whole premise is quite silly and un-engaging if you ask me!

Hopefully the score is good :)

We're doing a sequel

There's no need to disguise

The studio considers us a profitable franchise

We're doing a sequel

How hard can it be?

We can't do any worse than Jurassic Park 3

We're doing a sequel

The studio wants more

While they wait for Joss Whedon to make Avengers 4

I'm actually more interested now having watched the latest trailer. The first trailer was terrible, but this is now wading into total campy fun territory. Could be a riot if done well and if it doesn't take itself seriously. 

I didn't read the previous posts, sorry (I dont' read any post anymore in this forum except those of Jay and Miguel and very few other ones BTW)

So it turns to be another score using the JW themes?

In the case I never let you know, your posts are total irrevelent, you can think serioulsy about quiting. No one wil miss you, I swear.

On 4/18/2018 at 9:53 PM, Bespin said:

I didn't read the previous posts, sorry (I dont' read any post anymore in this forum except those of Jay and Miguel and very few other ones BTW)

So it turns to be another score using the JW themes?

Yep Giacchino is returning to score the film and yep, he will use John Williams; Jurassic Park themes again.  There's actually videos from the recording sessions using JW's theme over in the score thread:

http://www.jwfan.com/forums/index.php?/topic/26734-michael-giacchinos-jurassic-world-fallen-kingdom-2018/

So here is a interesting newly-released interview with the director:

http://www.slashfilm.com/j-a-bayona-interview/

On Page 3, we have quite an interesting mention about how he uses music literally being played for the actors before and even DURING filming! He of course mentions the use of John Williams music, and others... most interestingly Jerry Goldsmith's Total Recall! My batshit theory about its connection to Jurassic Park continues! :D

• 1 month later...

Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom is currently sitting at a relatively solid 70% on Rotten Tomatoes, and the film now has an official critics consensus:

Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom adds another set piece-packed entry to the blockbuster franchise, although genuinely thrilling moments are in increasingly short supply.

Its getting some atrocious reviews. No surprise. The score will suck, the effects are so colored wrong they wont look bad but they absolutely wont look real. Universal should be ashamed of themselves.

31 minutes ago, JoeinAR said:

Its getting some atrocious reviews. No surprise. The score will suck, the effects are so colored wrong they wont look bad but they absolutely wont look real. Universal should be ashamed of themselves.

They can't do that! Shoot them! Or something!

Just saw it.

It was okay. Just kinda there. It has like 2 acts/locations, silly action and even less character moments than part 1 (but at least less owenisms)

effects were about what you'd expect.

I really, really wanted to like this film, since I'm a big fan of Bayona, but alas I found it even more disappointing than JURASSIC WORLD. Just came back from an IMAX screening here in Norway. There are 4-5 good scenes, where the Bayona touch shines through -- whether his gothic horror-like style (A MONSTER CALLS, EL ORFANATO) a or his brilliant melodrama skills (LO IMPOSSIBLE). But beyond that, it's a messy affair with shallow, stereotypical characters. No ingenuity in the action tableaux, no awe & wonder.

It's not a bad film -- like WORLD, it stil works as a reasonable "creature feature" -- but it had so much more potential.

The score was -- predictably -- absolutely dreadful, and at least 75% responsible for my disappointment. Giacchino has two tricks -- either very simplistic, big chord leaps (rather than defined melody lines) or endless ostinati, and this is on display here yet again. The few references to Williams themes (fewer than in WORLD) were mostly hokey and unsophisticated in terms of how they appeared. I can only imagine how much more involved I'd been if Bayona had been allowed to bring along Velazquez for this film. :(

My suspicion is that Colin Trevorrow's damp hand has prevented this from being the visionary Bayona film it could have been. At least I want to blame Trevorrow. But in a way, it also says to me that perhaps Bayona is not an action auteur; he works better in other forms of cinema.

I am willing to defend Giacchino most of the time

but this didnt make a big impression on me (as opposed to his marvel scores or apes)

Still musical continuity is appreciated I suppose

Didn't realize it was opening already.  Do we need a separate spoiler-talk thread for this film, or nah?

I'll reserve judgement until I hear Giacchino's score, but I get the feeling I'll be even more angry that Velazquez wasn't allowed to score the film. Williams' themes deserve fresh interpretations from a range of voices, not just the same ones over and over again.

I wont be seeing the film, but I too wanted Velazquez to score it, not because I didn't like Giacchino's JW score (I like it a lot) but because he's done one now and I'd like Velazquez to get bigger films to flex his talent, as I'm a big fan of his.

I'm sure I'll enjoy Giacchino's Fallen Kingdom score, considering it clearly will be of the same style as JW with the same themes reprised, but I think we all knew that it wasn't going to be anything revolutionary or blow anyone away. Judging by the trailers, the film looks like The Lost World remake on steroids, and we all know Williams' Lost World score wasn't particularly great compared to his Jurassic Park score, so why would Giacchino's be any better than his first effort for JW?

6 minutes ago, leeallen01 said:

we all know Williams' Lost World score wasn't particularly great compared to his Jurassic Park score

This is not a widely held opinion on JWFan.

I don't think TLW is better, but it certainly holds its own in comparison.  A masterful work and I love how it's a stylistic left turn.

There is no JW whatsoever in Giacchino's score, IMO, and I would be VERY interested to hear how any of you can hear any values in this score beyond what I've mentioned (simplistic, big chord leaps & ostinati). Seriously. Maybe it's my tinnitus, but I can't hear any inherent musical values beyond that.

Wish I had more musical lingo, or knew how to record stuff, because I'd make a 'parody' recording of what I mean. This type of MG is VERY easy to parody.

1 minute ago, Disco Stu said:

This is not a widely held opinion on JWFan.

I don't think TLW is better, but it certainly holds its own in comparison.  A masterful work and I love how it's a stylistic left turn.

I didn't warm up to the original score until LLL released it, as until then I was stuck with the obnoxious OST that played the main theme every other track. 

Lost World was really refreshing in terms of only using the theme a couple times. And I admit that I thought the OST's packaging was cool. :P