Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom (J.A. Bayona 2018)

Matt C

24 minutes ago, leeallen01 said:

Judging by the trailers, the film looks like The Lost World remake on steroids, and we all know Williams' Lost World score wasn't particularly great compared to his Jurassic Park score, so why would Giacchino's be any better than his first effort for JW?

:blink:

23 minutes ago, Thor said:

There is no JW whatsoever in Giacchino's score, IMO, and I would be VERY interested to hear how any of you can hear any values in this score beyond what I've mentioned (simplistic, big chord leaps & ostinati). Seriously. Maybe it's my tinnitus, but I can't hear any inherent musical values beyond that.

Wish I had more musical lingo, or knew how to record stuff, because I'd make a 'parody' recording of what I mean. This type of MG is VERY easy to parody.

I dont have any musical lingo

and sure some of his instrumentation gets old (Jurassic world is the most LOSTish of his movie scores)

some other stuff I simply find exciting or memorable (or in the case of War for the Planet of the Apes, very heartfelt)

but I think we have a separate thread for this

so I will just say

baby raptors, cute

Just saw the movie ( odd /smartt that they release this in most of the country this week except US )

Well, it quite exceeded my expectation. I love how it returns to "slower" pace akin to old JP movies. And i also like Bayona's suspense/horror sensibility here  (the "museum" scene screams first JP!). VFX is better that last one. 

I also love the direction that the filmaker headed here, made the audience, at the very least, want to wait for the next one.

The pratical effects was still used in the movie, but it's kinda obvious that they CGIed some small bits to make it more "energetic"

Ron Howard's daughter does a lot in the movie, for those who care

Overall, it's a fun time at the theatre.

"These violent delights have violent ends..."

Giacchino's score..... hmmm. I got it why he used choir a lot in this one, ...to completely disguise his inability to craft an engaging tunes. Whats with Giacchino and three-notes these days? Its boring. Maise's theme is a "been there done that multiplied by a million" of Giacchino.

Hollywood has Zimmered Giachhino! 

The first trailer felt like it spoiled an important scene. The full new one makes it feel more like a horror Dino thing. I read somewhere that Bayona was talking about stuff that takes it to a new level of JP/JW with dinoes creeping into infants bedrooms. I'm looking for the link, although you may find it in the Entertainment magazine's Summer preview. I might go see this, but I may want to brush up on the first one, as in JW.

I was pretty angry watching the trailer. Seemed to spoil the entire plot and, critically, what everything leads up to in the third act.

OK saw the film. It was ok and the score too, i want to hear it on cd. It's a nice addition to the saga, but i think i would have executed things differently:

Spoiler

I would have based all the film about the dinosaur rescue mission, and have all dinosaurs (all of them, several of each not just one or two...) to the sanctuary island. where the lockwoood mansion should have been - like hammond's mansion in isal sorna in the game Tresspasser), then end the film with and appearenace of the bad guy talking to Dr Wu. And then the third film could be the indoraptor and auction plot, with the haunted mansion scenes. and they wrap up the trilogy killing all bad guys and the dinos can live in the sactuary forever as in the lost world.

or have the same structure but the mansion in the island, and in the end we see some dinosaurs have been sold and the dna samples got away with wu again. and have three with whatever treworrow has thought. i hope it doesnt involve an apocaliptic  dino-war (WWIII)...

i would have played more drama for the dinosaurs running for their lives, falling from the cliffs (for example, in ROTS, when the lizzard is shot, the slow-mo scene of it falling to the sinkhole, raises my hairs, for me its rather emotional... i dont know why. )

they should have adressed in the film what has happened to Sorna, as it was a dinosaur sanctuary already... and there is no mention of it...if the nublar dinosaurs die there would be still sorna... (it seems that in the canon expanded universe that is being created, and in the webpage of the film, they say ingen continued making experiments in sorna after TLW and before JW, so they released more dinosaurs (that's why the spinosaur was not on ingen's list) and the ecological balance was broken and all dinosaurs were killed - or brought to Jurasic World....

having the logo of the film like that was weird as in the other films is just the films title with the JP font. I liked the opening scene but was weird the musical silence. (and there wast audible jungle sounds like in the original JP)

I liked the veterinary scenes :P,

i like this one, far better than the first one

i love how it suddenly goes Westworld, both for the species(s), and for the feeling like we have to care for the dinos eventhough they are basically an undead creatures (or robot).

On 6/6/2018 at 5:48 PM, Thor said:

There is no JW whatsoever in Giacchino's score, IMO, and I would be VERY interested to hear how any of you can hear any values in this score beyond what I've mentioned (simplistic, big chord leaps & ostinati). Seriously. Maybe it's my tinnitus, but I can't hear any inherent musical values beyond that.

I think we cay safely say the score's not very good when it cannot compete with your tinnitus.

Can anyone who's seen the film comment on the use of animatronics for the dinosaurs? Early indications were that they were painted over with CGI, The Thing style, despite the director saying this film would have more animatronics than any other sequel in the series.

2 hours ago, crumbs said:

Can anyone who's seen the film comment on the use of animatronics for the dinosaurs? Early indications were that they were painted over with CGI, The Thing style, despite the director saying this film would have more animatronics than any other sequel in the series.

The trex and blue have noticeable anymatronics, and I think Some scenes it did not have CGI over it. The indoraptor has CGI over it I think. There was a stegosaurus that looked no CGI at all. 

1 hour ago, crocodile said:

Don't do this to yourself. Please stop. 

Karol

I saw Jurassic World 4 times. 4. Times. 

Well you know my opinions better than I do!

Nice to see everyone in Jurassic World Fallen Kingdom ditched their shitty Samsung phones after all the hassle they caused in the first film. Everyone uses iPhones and there are no phone related issues. Just buy the best, people.

I’m not sure. The first is a classic. I have a soft spot for TLW and JW (it came out at a time I wasn’t doing too good and the nostalgia blast really picked me up). 

JP

TLW

JW:FK

JW

JP III

2 and 3 could be interchangeable I guess. I like the darker tone of FK but a few more moments of humour would have been nice 

I dunno if I'd rank this above JW, I like seeing a functional, well, open park as well

but FK aggravated me less

both are beneath JP (of course) and TLW

and JP3 hasnt aged well (outside of the gloriously silly spinosaur fence scene)

I think JW might have been a bit more structurally sound than FK. FK feels a bit weird in that respect. 

I’ll probably see it again next weekend so that should help me make up my mind about it!

Without spoilers, is there a death scene in the film as memorably brutal/violent as the Zara/Mosasaurus death in JW, Eddie's/Carter's death in TLW, or Nedry's in JP?

Generally speaking, is the film reasonably violent/gory?

Always loved how JP movies were pretty violent for "kids" movies. I'm convinced Spielberg encourages these creative death scenes.

well there's a lot of distant camera mauling

but one guy does get the Eddie treatment and another gets disarmed (though the camera angles it so that the kids dont have to see the bloody stump or spraying blood)

that raptor attack you see in the trailer was also pretty painful looking

Had a fun time at the movies seeing this last night. Jurassic World haters should probably just stay at home. The first half and bits of the second feel like revisiting TLW similar to how JW called back to JP1.

Spoiler

I liked the fact that Isla Sorna was referenced, as well as Hammond's final speech in TLW. The brachiosaur death was handled quite poignantly in the way that it closed out the Isla Nublar storyline in the franchise (first living dino breed seen by Grant and Ellie on the island is the last one seen by Claire and Owen when leaving it for the last time).

I had no issues with the CG, but then I tend to go into these kind of movies with my kid glasses on so I don't obsess too much about the minutiae of execution. 

Nothing in the score really grabbed me but that's usually par for the course for me on a first viewing. However, the few low key JP1 musical references were really nicely done, I feel.

• 2 weeks later...

Saw this tonight, thought it was great!

Spoiler

Wish Ludlow 2.0 and the tooth collector copped more brutal deaths though. 

And shame on Universal for spoiling the Mosasaurus/surfers and T-Rex in the lion cage shots, considering they were basically two of the final shots in the movie, plus Goldblum's closing line. 

Huge step up on Jurassic World though. From scene one you can tell a more assured visual director is behind the lens, rather than the pedestrian effort Trevorrow offered in JW. The entire sequence had Spielberg's fingerprints over it, with the Rex reveal in the lightning, silhouetted Mosasaurus and the ladder escape all proving memorable highlights. 

My favorite review blurb

The best thing "Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom" has going for it is director J.A. Bayona, who takes a mediocre script by Derek Connolly and Colin Trevorrow and directs the living daylights out of it.

https://www.heraldcourier.com/community/entertainment/movie-review-in-jurassic-world-fallen-kingdom-the-story-s/article_faffb879-8e49-571e-9a7b-92639c9c02ed.html

also

heh heh

[It] pounds us with a pretentious, nearly operatic score while indulging in B-movie clichés and calling for the main characters to make idiotic decisions just to keep the story rolling?

https://chicago.suntimes.com/entertainment/jurassic-world-fallen-kingdom-is-how-bad-its-rocky-v-bad/

I will say his latter complaint, about characters having to be complete idiots to move the plot forward, is something I feel like has become more and more of a problem in blockbusters this decade.  It's quite annoying.

Yeah, you can basically deduce the entire plot from point A > B > C > D > Finale just from the trailers, the marketing was obnoxious with spoilers. Ruins most of the tension the film attempts to build because you know where the whole thing is going from its earliest scenes. There is maybe one surprise character twist I didn't see coming, but it's pretty irrelevant in the grand scheme of things (although it does have some heavy implications about where things are heading).

And, can't believe I'm saying this, but Gia's score was actually pretty good! Effectively used, drew attention to itself when required (sick of this modern idea from critics that film scores should be unobtrusive and anything noticeable is "distracting"), and a big improvement on his score to JW (which, having revisited yesterday, isn't as bad as I remembered).

Without being as negative as the reviews (as I thought the film was great), I'd agree with the general sentiment that Bayona directed the living hell out of an above-average script, which leaned heavily on ideas Spielberg's been trying to push into the series for over a decade. And Spielberg's fingertips are all over the movie --

Spoiler

Owen lying paralyzed as the lava slowly approaches, people trapped in the sinking Gyrosphere, the silhouetted Brachiosaurus being engulfed by smoke, etc).

Im shocked how much I enjoyed JWFK. Jurassic World sucked so bad and I had such low expectations but turning the film into esentially a monster horror story worked well. I enjoyed Britians version of Ryan Reynolds very much. Spall isnt as handsome but that in itself makes his bad guy persona work well. Unlike crumbs I have nothing nice to say about Gia's score. It is bad. But its also forgettable so that is its saving grace. 

14 hours ago, Jay said:

I wonder what direction Trevorrow's 3rd entry will go in

It definitely won't be a retread of Jurassic Park 3, thank God. And depending on how the plot goes, it leaves room for other JP actors to appear. (Laura Dern apparently wants back in.)

I agree with the FK script, it's a hot mess. But Bayona directs the daylights out of it, especially the first hour of the movie (love the opening scene!). The script could've been condensed for the second half without losing anything. But seriously, JW: FK has some terrific direction and camerawork going for it. Giacchino's score could've quoted Williams' themes at least more prominently, rather than subtly and at the end of the film.

And even though the second half of the film is slow going, I love the villains' deaths. Especially the last one which is done almost verbatim from The Lost World.

Either my cinema screen was too dark or the camera movement was too fast/blurry, but I found that final death unsatisfying considering the character in question. Wish they'd slowed it down just a bit so you could really revel in their nasty comeuppance.

The opening scene is a brilliantly staged, vintage Jurassic Park setpiece, complete with the moody rain/thunderstorm setting. The underwater stuff with the Mosa was like Jaws 3 on steroids. The total lack of music until the Rex appears was a great decision, allowing Bayona to really set the tone effectively.

The film does have a weird structure overall, like it's only two acts (dinos/volcano storyline then the haunted house/evil company storyline).

It probably has one of the most surprisingly emotional, gut-punch scenes in the whole series (if you've seen the film, you'll know which scene I'm talking about). I initially gave credit to Spielberg for that one, but according to SS that scene was Bayona's idea.

Still, it's bucketloads of fun overall, and appropriately vicious when it needs to be. Bayona's a fantastic director and it shows.