Matt C

Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom (J.A. Bayona 2018)

Yeah, I'm not into the "trailer remix" music in this and that it's caught on with trailers in general. It didn't turn me off, but I can understand it would others. 

I'm really not into Giacchino in general (I do love Inside Out too though), but I actually really love what he did for World. I can't really analyze as to why it resonated with me, I just like his themes a bit more than others seem to. I find myself whistling the Indominous motif from time and time, which is a juvenile way to say "I find the theme memorable!", but well, there it is. And Chasing the Dragons is awesome, or whatever that cue's called.

I enjoy Don Davis' JP3 too, but Giacchino's dinosaur dish has a lot more meat to it.  

1 hour ago, kaseykockroach said:

It is lonely that I'm supposedly the only one here who adored the last one and is giddy for this one, but what the hey, having only one film I'm excited for this year means I save money!

No, I enjoyed it too.

12 minutes ago, mstrox said:

For me, it’s not anything tangible.  I really liked all four Jurassic movies thus far including JW, but for some reason this looks real bad to me.  Maybe it’s the awful trailer music.  I’m not really invested in the Owen/Blue relationship that the trailers are playing up (in the sense that a raptor rushing in to save the day/protect a human is silly).

im hoping I’m wrong because I love dumb dinosaur adventures. The trailers just leave me cold.

You have no heart! Blue is an adorable raptor.

I hate that I'm worried sick as to whether she'll be okay. I love Claire Dearing and all, but she's obviously the main character, so of course she'll be fine (unless Bayona decides to pull a Maniac Cop 2 on us :P). 

Damn it, Blue, you can't take on the Indoraptor by yourself! 

I really like what I've seen of this Lucy girl, the child that was terrorized in that nightmare-inducing moment in the second trailer (I'm not looking up the actress' name out of laziness at the moment). She already looks like she could be one of the better Jurassic kids (I really liked Gray in the last one, Zach not so much). 

I liked Jurassic World, watched 3 times on the big screen. Like most post-90's Spielberg action movies, it has some great scenes and set-pieces but the sum of the parts doesn't make a good whole. I get emotional with the final roar every time, though.

The main problem JW seemed to have is that it ventured to closely to B-movie territory at times. You could say that Jurassic Park and Lost World are B-movies with big budgets, and you could be right, but for all their faults they pack a great deal of charm, TLW being the most flawed of the pair but still highly enjoyable. You can tell the stuff Spielberg was interested in making in this movie and the stuff he was doing to get out of the Universal contract. 

And in Fallen Kingdom they seem to be venturing even further into B-movie territory -which shouldn't be a problem, but for me it isn't what JP is about- like the shot of the Indoraptor creeping into the girl's room extending its hand first. Like, seriously, what the hell? Not an animalistic behaviour at all. 

Understandable indeed. My love for JW stemming from my love for B-monster movies very likely doesn't go with what other Jurassic fans seek. I'm quite glad this JP4 doesn't exist, for example, but I adore the insanity of it anyhow.

That said, I think the Indo hybrids are meant to be seen and loathed as monsters, in contrast to the 'pure' dinosaurs presented as animals. 

Probably the first trailer I've been intrigued with what Bayona's doing. It looks legitimately darker and scarier than JW, loving the visuals. That shot of the Mosasaurus is nightmare fuel.

Looks like Spielberg's finally gotten his abandoned 2009 Jurassic Park 4 script into production. I'm thinking this film ends particularly badly for mankind's dominance of the planet, ala the new Planet of the Apes.

On 15/04/2018 at 12:46 PM, crumbs said:

Looks like Spielberg's finally gotten his abandoned 2009 Jurassic Park 4 script into production. I'm thinking this film ends particularly badly for mankind's dominance of the planet, ala the new Planet of the Apes.

Is it still "Jurassic Park" then?

Oh wait... So THAT'S why it's "World" now?!?

LOLOL

Well.  I wasn't that into this movie before, and now I'm even less so - the whole premise is quite silly and un-engaging if you ask me!

Hopefully the score is good :)

I'm actually more interested now having watched the latest trailer. The first trailer was terrible, but this is now wading into total campy fun territory. Could be a riot if done well and if it doesn't take itself seriously. 

I didn't read the previous posts, sorry (I dont' read any post anymore in this forum except those of Jay and Miguel and very few other ones BTW)

So it turns to be another score using the JW themes?

On 4/18/2018 at 9:53 PM, Bespin said:

I didn't read the previous posts, sorry (I dont' read any post anymore in this forum except those of Jay and Miguel and very few other ones BTW)

So it turns to be another score using the JW themes?

Yep Giacchino is returning to score the film and yep, he will use John Williams; Jurassic Park themes again.  There's actually videos from the recording sessions using JW's theme over in the score thread:

http://www.jwfan.com/forums/index.php?/topic/26734-michael-giacchinos-jurassic-world-fallen-kingdom-2018/