• Announcements

• Jay

Donate to JWFan, win a CD!   05/30/17

Hello!

We are significantly behind on our funds for keeping JWFan alive, and need to collect donations again.
      As an incentive, I am offering a series of free CDS to anyone who donates over a certain amount!   Donate at least $10 and you will be entered into a pool to potentially win one of the following once we hit our $250 goal:   Tyler Bates - God of War; Ascension (OST, La La Land Records) Danny Elfman - Planet of the Apes (OST, Sony) Danny Elfman - Taking Woodstock (OST, La La Land Records) Christopher Lennertz - Identity Thief (OST, La La Land Records) Christopher Lennertz - Medal of Honor: Rising Sun (OST) Michael Giacchino - Mission: Impossible - Ghost Protocol (OST, Varese Sarabande) Dave Holmes & Various - Ocean's 11 (OST, WB Records) Joel McNeely & Various - Hollywood '94 (Varese Sarabande) Joe Kraemer - Jack Reacher (OST, La La Land Records) John Williams - Born on the Fourth of July (OST, MCA Records)   Donate at least $20 and you will be entered into a pool to potentially win one of the following once we hit our $500 goal:   John Barry - First Love (La La Land) Jerry Goldsmith - The Challenge (La La Land) Jerry Goldsmith - In Harm's Way (2009 Intrada edition) Jerry Goldsmith - The Red Pony (Varese) Alan Silvestri - Dutch (La La Land) Shirley Walker - Willard (La La Land) John Williams - Family Plot (Varese Sarabande) or, any of the above CDs if you prefer   Donate at least $30 and you will be entered into a pool to potentially win one of the following once we hit our $750 goal:   James Horner - Gorky Park (OOP Kritzerland Edition) James Newton Howard - Outbreak (2CD, Varese Deluxe Edition) Laurence Rosenthal - Clash of the Titans (2CD, Intrada) John Williams - The Fury (2CD, La La Land) John Williams - Jane Eyre (OOP, La La Land) or, any of the above CDs if you prefer   Donate at least $50 and you will be entered into a pool to potentially win one of the following once we hit our $1,000 goal:   Jerry Fielding - The Wild Bunch (3CD, FSM) Ira Newborn - The Naked Gun trilogy (3CD, La La Land) Shirley Walker and Various - Batman: The Animated Series Volume 3 (4CD, La La Land) or, any of the above CDs if you prefer     All shipping will be paid by me to anywhere in the world!   I will pull names from a hat for each pool, and you get to pick whatever CD set you want if I pull your name!   To be eligible, leave your JWFan username in the comments area of your donation.  If you want to donate but not be in the running for a free CD, mention that in the comment.   Use this link or the link on the mainpage.       Thank you!   Jason, Ricard, and Andreas.
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Matt C

Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom (J.A. Bayona 2018)

345 posts in this topic

That is definitely true that the story could still be changed. And be delayed for any number of reasons, just like Jurassic Park 4 was. But I have a feeling this one won't get delayed since Jurassic World did so well. They want to ride on the success of it now. While you're right it is possible the entire story could change, I think Spielberg and Universal probably will do whatever Trevorrow wants. It took them (somehow) 14 years to finally come up with the sequel they wanted to sell to us, and from the way Spielberg talks about him, Trevorrow came up with the magical ingredients to make it all work as well as it did. I'm sure the money the studio itself saw will think the same way, unless they are complete idiots. But it seems like Universal is finally making some good choices these days, or at least very profitable ones.

Besides, the seeds to go off-island are already planted in Jurassic World itself with Dr. Wu getting off the island with his research and all of the talk of further genetic tampering and using the dinosaurs for more devious purposes. It's all in the setup of the story already as means to naturally progress. Sure, they could still jettison all of that setup they put in place if they want, but Trevorrow sounds confident that's where it is going (and we all know it is the kind of thing Spielberg wanted all along before he shifted gears at the very end; likely due to the bad reaction the leaked John Sayles script). Sure, he won't be directing it (which could also change, I know), but he is writing it and producing it.

This isn't quite the same as having that ending of Jurassic Park 3 of the Pteranodons getting off the island being tossed aside and forgotten (unless you count the viral site's explanation of what happened after that ending). That film was the weakest performing film of the series and was generally disliked loudly by most fans (mostly due to the Spinosaurus killing the Rex reaction being overblown). Once they got their numbers and undoubtedly heard the reactions, whatever ideas they had with that ending and the series were tossed aside. Did you know the characters of the third film were to originally be dragged out into a trilogy before the Sayles script and others were made to instead focus on the hybrid dinos with guns ideas? All of the actors whose characters survived were originally in contract for 3 films in Jurassic Park 3. Could any of us fathom following a series with Amanda and Paul Kirby screaming their annoying heads off all the way through? That's a scary alternate reality right there.

But Jurassic World was the strongest performing film of the series, and was not only generally liked by most fans, it attracted a whole generation of new fans to boot. That last bit was something the other sequels hardly pulled off at all. They simply didn't have that same general appeal the first film and this one have. They were darker or more forgettable adventures that didn't really stick with you (except maybe in short moments). Since Trevorrow is the one they keep pointing to in making this happen, they're going to do whatever he wants now. Whether it's really a good idea or not.

Regardless, unless they completely retcon Jurassic World (which they won't if Trevorrow is involved at all), there's no way to really involve the islands anymore. The only other way is to do a prequel or complete remake or that idea I mentioned in my previous post. But I don't see those things happening.

But maybe they'll do a TV series set on a still-functioning Jurassic World... ;)

Its very unlikely Jurassic World 2 will miss its June 2018 release date.

Well, the freezing compartments of the genetic material could still malfunction and INGEN is forced to hunt animals from sorna and Nublar for their purposes (they need resources quickly)... there you have Claire and Owen working to prevent it (saving blue from experiments and preventing ingen to create mutated dinosaurs for the military)

You can add byosin into the plot (who wants to make toy dinosaurs for the common people).

One can hope :P though it sounds a little like the lost world...

One can hope :P though it sounds a little like the lost world...

Well, if JW is a soft reboot of the first film, it wouldn't be strange if JW2 was a reboot of sorts of TLW.

A TV show with dinosaurs, overseen by Spielberg? Sounds like a winner!

Yes! It could be called.... Terra.... something.... Damn it, I had something for this.

I can admit that The Lost World is a bad movie. I enjoy the hell out of it, though.

Yea it is not oscar material, but it will remain in the annals of history as the biggest grossing film of 2015.

2015? It shattered a ton of box office records and is the third highest grossing film of all time.

If Bayona directed JW2, I wonder if Giacchino would score, or Fernando Velázquez would

I really hope Trevorrow or someone at Universal would push for Giacchino so they could keep the scores consistent, but I'm never sure if executives really care that much about the score.

Oh, wow. "Jurassic World 2" and "World War Z 2".

Sometimes you can have too much choice.

What about doing a film about zombies and dinosaurs? Or zombie dinosaurs! That would have been something. JURASSIC WAR Z.

Jay, Koray Savas and Drawgoon like this

Its very unlikely Jurassic World 2 will miss its June 2018 release date.

I think Universal had Trevorrow & Derek Connolly writing the Jurassic World 2 script before the follow-up was announced. Or at least cracked a treatment before going full steam ahead.

What about doing a film about zombies and dinosaurs? Or zombie dinosaurs! That would have been something. JURASSIC WAR Z.

ROTFLMAO

:

Was not aware they were making a sequel to World War Z. They should just remake the first one and do a proper adaptation.

I'd buy that, for a dollar! :lol:

If Bayona directed JW2, I wonder if Giacchino would score, or Fernando Velázquez would

I'm pretty sure Velazquez would score a Bayona-directed JW2. Velazquez has scored several big-budget studio films, including Hercules and Crimson Peak. I would love to see what he would do with Williams' themes.

I'm pretty sure Velazquez would score a Bayona-directed JW2. Velazquez has scored several big-budget studio films, including Hercules and Crimson Peak. I would love to see what he would do with Williams' themes.

Oh... Yes! A Velázquez JW2 score could be really interesting!

He can't be worse then Gia!

I think he's better, actually. His scores for Spanish movies The Orphanage and Shiver are excellent; there are shades of both in Crimson Peak. When he's not forced to incorporate RC flourishes in stuff like Hercules, he can deliver bombast and wonder.

Bryce Dallas Howard Teases Her Character’s Return in Jurassic World Sequel

Claire is a different person now. The person she is at the end of the movie is not the person she was in the beginning. Her armor of sorts was that white, pristine outfit with heels in a very corporate environment and stuff, and the chick at the end… totally different. So yeah… it better not be heels.

The previous three films had a through-line with the original characters, so I assumed that the JW characters would return in its sequels.

Howard's character was one of the main things that drove me mad about this film. Every decision she made demonstrated utter incompetence at the practicalities of running a theme park with the sort of risks JW faces. What do you do when a dinosaur has escaped? Panic, apparently.

In this case, all the story and character problems overshadowed any enjoyment I got from the action sequences.

Ok.. Just saw in the TV news here that Bayona has finally signed to direct this.

It must be true since other places in english are reporting it:

http://variety.com/2016/film/news/jurassic-world-2-director-ja-bayona-1201755600/

I want a Giacchino score...but Velazquez could do well...if the studio do not force him to use the RCP sound his hollywood scores are getting....

2 minutes ago, Mr. Big said:

I'd rather have Valesquez do it than Giacchino.

Fixed!

4 minutes ago, Mr. Big said:

I'd rather have Giacchino do it than Velasquez.

1 minute ago, Stefancos said:

Fixed!

I'll just fix that even more in light of where we are.

4 minutes ago, Mr. Big said:

I'd rather have Williams do it than Giacchino.

Great news! JURASSIC WORLD was a massive disappointment, and Giacchino's score was awful, as usual. Having Bayona and preferably Velazquez on board may re-ignite my passion for this again.

Both the film and score were almost the dictionary definition of "distinctly average".

I wouldn't say they were awful though. But it did prove that Gia in no way in the same league as Williams.