Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom (J.A. Bayona 2018)

Matt C

2 hours ago, shad79 said:

So we have confirmation that Giacchino is doing music for film.

We knew that almost one year ago:

http://www.jwfan.com/forums/index.php?/topic/26734-michael-giacchinos-jurassic-world-fallen-kingdom-2018/&do=findComment&comment=1304034

I'm not sure I want to see a film where all the dinosaurs are falling to their deaths and drowning, and they have a "save the dino" type message to it, all while trying to avoid a volcano. Imagery looks cool though.

2 minutes ago, JohnSolo said:

Really? No one's posted the official trailer yet? Well, here it is:

Of course its already been posted.  What do you think people were talking about on this very page?

1 minute ago, Jay said:

Of course its already been posted.  What do you think people were talking about on this very page?

Cripes... didn't notice that...

Universal also issued an official synopsis of the film 

It’s been four years since theme park and luxury resort Jurassic World was destroyed by dinosaurs out of containment. Isla Nublar now sits abandoned by humans while the surviving dinosaurs fend for themselves in the jungles.

When the island’s dormant volcano begins roaring to life, Owen (Chris Pratt) and Claire (Bryce Dallas Howard) mount a campaign to rescue the remaining dinosaurs from this extinction-level event. Owen is driven to find Blue, his lead raptor who’s still missing in the wild, and Claire has grown a respect for these creatures she now makes her mission. Arriving on the unstable island as lava begins raining down, their expedition uncovers a conspiracy that could return our entire planet to a perilous order not seen since prehistoric times.

With all of the wonder, adventure and thrills synonymous with one of the most popular and successful series in cinema history, this all-new motion-picture event sees the return of favorite characters and dinosaurs—along with new breeds more awe-inspiring and terrifying than ever before. Welcome to Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom.

1 hour ago, Fancyarcher said:

I'm not sure I want to see a film where all the dinosaurs are falling to their deaths and drowning, and they have a "save the dino" type message to it, all while trying to avoid a volcano. Imagery looks cool though.

I know! This sort of thing was prevalent in Life of Pi too.

Wow.  I just watched the trailer.

It was quite terrible.

I mean, the trailer itself was very poorly done - badly structured, edited, scored, paced.  But what we saw of the film itself was all bad regardless.  The premise, the look, Pratt and Howard's acting, everything was bad.  It's not gonna flop, but, I doubt I'll personally like it too much or anything.

3 hours ago, Jay said:

It was quite terrible.

I mean, the trailer itself was very poorly done - badly structured, edited, scored, paced.  But what we saw of the film itself was all bad regardless.  The premise, the look, Pratt and Howard's acting, everything was bad.  It's not gonna flop, but, I doubt I'll personally like it too much or anything.

Agreed. That teaser just set a new (very) low bar for use of music in a blockbuster trailer. Still looking forward to the movie though. It's popcorn entertainment after all.

1 minute ago, BloodBoal said:

Oh boy, what a preposterous premise...

To blow up the island? I think it's awesome! But I still don't like seeing animals drowning. What Spielberg must have done to that poor shark in Jaws by forcing it underwater for so long. How did it breathe?

4 hours ago, Jay said:

It was quite terrible.

Quite. I didn't think they could get any lower but they did.

7 hours ago, Jay said:

It was quite terrible.

Agreed !

And it's weird because the behind the scenes looked promissing…

10 minutes ago, BloodBoal said:

What do you think they intend to do with the dinosaurs they're saving?

Why wouldn't they create some sort of place where people could come to and see what dinosaurs looked like ? What could possibly go wrong ? Just thinking…

Looks fine to me. I really enjoyed Jurassic World, it should have been the sequel to the first JP. 

Im looking forward to the new film.

33 minutes ago, BloodBoal said:

What do you think they intend to do with the dinosaurs they're saving?

Yeah the badguys team, but we are not seeing the weaponised Dino's in this film yet.

59 minutes ago, Nick1066 said:

I notice that they're now pretty much skipping the ooh and aaah and going straight to the running and screaming.

In 1993 seeing dinosaurs on screen was revolutionary stuff. Modern audiences would be bored if you spent time oohing and aaahing at dinosaurs. It was kind of a minor plot point in Jurassic World...

🦕🦖

Just watched the trailer.  Thought it was fine. As far as "dumb reasons to get people back to dinosaur island" and "things that may result in cool special effects sequences," good enough.

A little bit of a weird gut punch after seeing animals fleeing from the wildfires in California this week. 

I do get the feeling that Goldblum won't be in the movie much, and he doesn't seem particularly Ian Malcolmy in the trailer, both of which are bummers.

3 hours ago, Bilbo said:

In 1993 seeing dinosaurs on screen was revolutionary stuff. Modern audiences would be bored if you spent time oohing and aaahing at dinosaurs. It was kind of a minor plot point in Jurassic World...

🦕🦖

True.  Whereas to modern audiences seeing people run and scream while being chased by CGI creatures is new and revolutionary!

1 hour ago, Nick1066 said:

True.  Whereas to modern audiences seeing people run and scream while being chased by CGI creates is new and revolutionary!

*Looks at Box Officr returns for the MCU*

Well it would appear that way, yes!

There are a FEW redeeming qualities in this trailer -- Jeff Goldblum's cameo (even if I could be without the "life finds a way" line), Bayona's visual flair and great sense of setpieces (hopefully more convincing in the film than in the trailer) and the fact that they're seemingly toning down the "biological weapon" storyline, whose sequel seed was planted in JURASSIC WORLD when Henry Wu takes the embryos off the island. Unless that line is in the second half of the film, since the trailer seemingly shows ALL of the story, or the story of half of the film.

Other than that, I'm glad to join the classical JWFAN Cynic Chorus in this case. The 'disconcerting' elements outweigh the good ones -- Giacchino as composer, endless action and "more is more" (including a CGI fest), lack of chemistry in couples and groups (Howard and Pratt didn't really have one to begin with), Trevorrow as producer and writer. That ghastly synth rendition of the first notes of Williams' theme is symptomatic for some of these disconcerting elements.

So unlike before JURASSIC WORLD, I now have record low expectations for the film. But I'm hoping that "something survived", also filmatically.

1 hour ago, Koray Savas said:

They do, but Jurassic Park still looks better...1A6110B9-62BB-47C1-9F16-87707FE781D2.jpeg

Looks about the same to me?

Wow, so much cynicism. It's a frikkin' dinosaur movie, not high art. I, for one (seems like the only one here) can't wait! :)

2 hours ago, JTWfan77 said:

Looks about the same to me?

Wow, so much cynicism. It's a frikkin' dinosaur movie, not high art. I, for one (seems like the only one here) can't wait! :)

Looks the same? Might need some new prescriptions for your glasses, mate. Either way, don’t you think after 25 years something should improve?

4 hours ago, JTWfan77 said:

Well, maybe I'm alone in this, but for me JURASSIC PARK (and to a certain extent the two sequels) are more than just dinosaur movies. In fact, I'm not even that interested in dinosaurs. It's about being engrossed in a universe, and the constant ebb and flow between kinetic, inventive action setpieces and long stretches of mood/awe and wonder/"being there". JURASSIC WORLD betrayed a lot of that basic foundation, and I doubt this sequel will be much better -- despite having the otherwise brilliant Bayona at the helm.

But hey, I'd love to be positively surprised.

2 hours ago, Koray Savas said:

Looks the same? Might need some new prescriptions for your glasses, mate. Either way, don’t you think after 25 years something should improve?

Sorry, but I'm just not seeing it. :unsure:

I watched the teaser 4 times now and not once did any dino shots look "off" or uncanny or anything else to me. Then again I also didn't have any issues with the dino FX in JW either, whereas many others did. Possibly, I do need new glasses (although I'm near-sighted and hence do not wear glasses when looking at a PC monitor).

Perhaps I'm just not as sensitive to these issues as others. For example, I can't fathom the repeated requests for soundtrack title "X" or "Y" to be remastered, as the versions I may have in my collection sound fine to my ears. Obviously, I'm not referring to titles that had bad elements to begin with, where new, much better sounding tapes were located (for example, In Harm's Way). Or where excessive noise reduction was used and it sucked all the space out of the recording (ROTJ SE).

16 minutes ago, JTWfan77 said:

Perhaps I'm just not as sensitive to these issues as others. For example, I can't fathom the repeated requests for soundtrack title "X" or "Y" to be remastered, as the versions I may have in my collection sound fine to my ears. Obviously, I'm not referring to titles that had bad elements to begin with, where new, much better sounding tapes were located (for example, In Harm's Way). Or where excessive noise reduction was used and it sucked all the space out of the recording (ROTJ SE).

Oh, I definitely agree with you there. Even if a soundtrack has been remastered, I have little to no interest in "upgrading" if the existing soundtrack already has fine sound to begin with.

The CGI spaceships in Independence Day Resurgence lacked the feeling of weight and mass that the practical ones had in the first film. They just seemed significantly less menacing to look at, but much of that probably had to do with the film's excessively goofy tone and piss poor score.

On the other hand, the dinos didn't really look any better or worse in Jurassic World than they did in the older flicks. There's only so much you can do to when blending CGI and practical together when creating on-screen make-believe living creatures. And I liked Cappuccino's score too.