SW original vs prequel scores

natedog

How do the prequel and original scores from Star Wars differ? I actually prefer the prequel scores but that's just my opinion but was wondering how they compare?

He wants to know what we think?

Well, the prequel scores of course. Williams hadn't yet developed the musical skill to create good, let alone great film music until he came up with Duel of the Fates.

Consequently, the original trilogy suffered due to its lack of Duel of the Fatesness, which should be changed in future versions of the films.

sorry what i mean is, do people on the whole prefer one set of scores from the other. Are there any notable differences in Williams' writing for the originals and for the prequels?

I prefer the original trilogy scores to the prequel trilogy scores. But love both for sure.

Yes, his writing style definitely changed from his blockbuster period from '75-'84 to his modern sound from 1999 to present. Well, let me rephrase that. The Phantom Menace from 1999 was more in line with the original trilogy scores than anything else in the prequels; Around 2000 his overall sound changed, but I love his 2000s style (AOTC, ROTS, IJKOCS, MR, WOTW, etc).

I wouldn't want any composer to write the same scores 2 decades later he was already writing before. Williams' evolution has been great.

The Prequel scores are pretty good for what they are but they aren't on the same level as the Original Trilogy. Quite honestly the Empire Strikes Back alone beats all three Prequel scores.

I really enjoy TPM. It has some of the best musical moments in the saga and I don't mean DOTF. There is something really special about the score. Williams really seemed to put a lot of effort and thought into it, which is why I'm optimistic about TFA being an excellent score.

I prefer the original trilogy scores.

I admit I never really "connected" with the prelogy ones, apart from the four highlights (Duel of the Fates, Anakin's Theme, Across the Stars, Battle of Heroes).

Maybe, I'm waiting for the official expanded releases, who knows!

While the PT has many great musical moments, (many of which stand toe to toe with the best moments of the OT) it's far spottier than the OT. It has lots of tracked music, jarring edits, and much more filler than the OT.

They're still all 5/5 star scores for me though.

I always loved the End Credits of the OT (like most of the End Credits of John Williams scores).

But the End Credits of the PT are... problematic.

I adore the end credits to ROTS. The way how Williams transitions from Leia's theme to Battle of the Heroes is genius. And how can you not love the finale to that track?

I always loved the End Credits of the OT (like most of the End Credits of John Williams scores).

But the End Credits of the PT are... problematic.

I adore the end credits to ROTS. The way how Williams transitions from Leia's theme to Battle of the Heroes is genius. And how can you not love the finale to that track?

I love that part, the problem is with everything that comes after that.

I'm not a prequel hater. I'm not naive either. The Originals were far superior to the prequels. The Scores as well as the films. That doesn't mean the scores for the prequels were bad. I think Across the Stars was a beautiful piece of Star Wars music. In my opinion John Williams writes to and defines what is on the screen better than any composer in history. Maybe a better way to put it is he musically interprets what is on the screen better than anyone I know of. He defines it. Who can think shark and not simultaniously think of the Jaws score? Admit it anytime you see a representation of a dinosaur, whether related to Jurassic Park or not, John's Jurassic score comes to mind. I think this is why the scores to the original trilogy are superior to the prequels. He is THE absolute master at musically interpreting what is on the screen.

I say this as one who does not have a background in music. But as a lover of films and film music....that's how I see it.

I prefer the original trilogy because of their vitality, off the chart ingenuity, depth, skill, overload of great melodies and virtuosity. But being that we're talking about John Williams Star Wars, they are all excellent just not the same level of sheer brilliance.

My ranking:

ESB: 5+ (masterpiece)

SW: 4.5

ROTJ: 4

ROTS: 4

TPM: 4

AOTC: 3.5 (must revisit it if it wasn't for the film being so bad that hearing the music reminds of the "i want your body m'lady" dialog.)

(must revisit it if it wasn't for the film being so bad that hearing the music reminds of the "i want your body m'lady" dialog.)

Anakin never should have been a whiny teenager.

I have high hopes for the next trilogy score. If what we've heard is true this is going to be amazing.

Thinking in terms of *film* music and not just music:

ROTJ > ROTS > ESB > ANH > AOTC > TPM

On a purely musical basis:

ROTS > ROTJ > AOTC > ESB > TPM > ANH

For the second, bear in mind that even ANH is a great listen - it's just where the musical models are most obvious and is thus the "least" engaging.

Thinking in terms of *film* music and not just music:

ROTJ > ROTS > ESB > ANH > AOTC > TPM

On a purely musical basis:

ROTS > ROTJ > AOTC > ESB > TPM > ANH

Just curious. Can you explain the difference between your film music basis compared to your purely musical basis?

Ons purely musical basis ROTS is better then TESB????

Christ!

Definitely. But is it so surprising for me to think so? ROTS delves far more into a 20th century musical idiom than the largely "Romantic" ESB.

The OT scores are masterpieces from beginning to end. The Prequels aren't on the same level. They contain a lot of uninteresting filler underscore that can be skipped whereas you wouldn't want to miss a single note of the original Star Wars. There's a big difference.

Is it more interesting because you're much more familiar with the OT scores, that you've listened to them to death? The prequels offer new discoveries if you listen for them?

I love both trilogies equally. I think TGP is right to think the 'filler' stuff is more than meets the eye...or ear.

So in the spirit of this ordering, here's my take:

ESB > ROTS > ROTJ > ANH > AOTC > TPM

but this order is in flux depending on my moods so...

Is it more interesting because you're much more familiar with the OT scores, that you've listened to them to death? The prequels offer new discoveries if you listen for them?

Not really. It's just musically more interesting. There's more under the surface.

The Prequel scores are pretty good for what they are but they aren't on the same level as the Original Trilogy. Quite honestly the Empire Strikes Back alone beats all three Prequel scores.

Agreed. Actually, all three OTs beat out the PTs, IMO.

SW = 5

TESB = 5

ROTJ = 4,5

TPM = 4

AOTC = 3,5

ROTS = 2

This is pretty close to how I'd score them, except I'd switch ROTS and AOTC and bump the latter up to a solid 3.

I think I've let my disappointment in the films color my perception of the music. It's hard to separate them (they do say emotionally traumatic events lead to years of difficult associations). One of these days I need to give the PT set another go in the spirit of TGP's "music only" viewpoint—something I can do with other scores very easily, but again, with these, it's always been tougher.