SW original vs prequel scores

natedog

The opinions of other people are truly disturbing and constantly threaten my mental well-being.

Placing AOTC alongside SW for example. Oh the agony! Oh the woe! BAM! There goes my full night of sleep right there!

Just put on the CD, close your eyes, and picture the Prequels as you envisioned them before they were released.

There, problem solved!

I still do that sometimes. Seriously. My idea for the prequel stories is far better than what Lucas gave us (not that you should be too impressed with that—s'not like he placed the bar real high on that one.)

ESB
SW

RotS

RotJ

PM

Across the Stars

(The rest of AotC never happened)

The reason I rate RotS higher than RotJ is because there are some lull moments in RotJ, I think in the track "The Emperor Arrives" for example. I love every minute of RotS and how it captures the dark and ominous feel of the movie. It's opening sequence is my second favorite after SW. RotJ has much more beautifully written and rememberable pieces like Luke and Leia and the entire last 20 minutes of it. If some of those lull moments in RotJ didn't exist I would rank it higher than RotS.

The only "filler" music in ROTJ is the Jabba's Palace underscore before and after the Rancor cue

The reason I rate RotS higher than RotJ is because there are some lull moments in RotJ, I think in the track "The Emperor Arrives" for example.

Could you give me timestamps? The only musical lulls for me are the bits that copy n paste ANH.

I know 5:38 bores most peeps here shitless, but I love it. Morton Feldman in space!

Grey, I disagree that ROTS is more 20th C than ESB. I think it's just the sensibilities are different, and chime with your own. It's a very 'spherical' score. The synth doublings, textural collages and almost subliminal colours in the orchestration.

What's wrong with the rest of AOTC?

I really like AotC as compared to other overall film scores, but it's just not on the same level as the other Star Wars scores.

Sharky, I haven't listened to RotJ in quite some time, so I'll have to go back and look. I know I absolutely love the second CD of the Special Edition especially the Battle of Endor tracks. I want to say it's a few of the longer titled tracks (i.e The Emperor Arrives/The Death of Yoda/Obi-Wan's Revelation) where it'll start off in a lull and then would pick back up with the Death of Yoda, and then die back down with Obi-Wan's Revelation. I don't know whether or not that's the track I'm thinking of, I was just using that one in particular as an example. I'll go back and listen while I'm working on my paper tonight.

The reason I rate RotS higher than RotJ is because there are some lull moments in RotJ, I think in the track "The Emperor Arrives" for example. I love every minute of RotS and how it captures the dark and ominous feel of the movie. It's opening sequence is my second favorite after SW. RotJ has much more beautifully written and rememberable pieces like Luke and Leia and the entire last 20 minutes of it. If some of those lull moments in RotJ didn't exist I would rank it higher than RotS.

I love the "lull" music you're referring to. It's some of the great stuff from that score.

Would you say you're mostly a fan of JW's action/fanfare music then, and not so much of his quieter stuff?

Oh, and . . . it's great to see you back again!

OT score is an achievement. PT scores are excellent and outstanding but don't stand up against the originals. JW is the best thing about the prequels, by far.

I never liked "Jabba the Hutt's Theme" though....drives me up the wall.

It fits the character well enough. Not really "jam session" material, true, but it did what it was supposed to do. (Although I was somewhat pleasantly surprised when the Colorado Symphony Orchestra performed it as part of an extended Star Wars tribute a few years ago at Red Rocks. That's not usually a theme that gets much play on the performance circuit.)

JW is the best thing about the prequels, by far.

And Liam Neeson and Ewan McGregor!

I definitely agree with McGregor, he made an excellent Obi-Wan. Honestly, I think he is the only reason I like the prequels.

Ian McDiarmid was pretty awesome too.

Oh yeah.

giphy.gif

This reeks of awesomeness. Yes, indeed. This one shot outshines Hayden Christensen's entire performance in every respect.

This reeks of awesomeness. Yes, indeed. This one shot outshines Hayden Christensen's entire performance in every respect.

I heard that McDiarmid is a good Shakespear interpret. Well, it maybe true, but it's a pretty bad Lucas one.

In ROTS he was terrible, in that particular scene and at the beginning of the movie (the rescue).