Favorite short musical moments in Williams scores?

Balahkay

Those dissonant brass chords at 2:09 and then again at 3:17

4:16 to 4:50 One of the most beautiful JW sequences ever

4:19 to 4:36 one of my favorite passages from Raiders

00:17 to 00:46 It's the sort of track that exemplifies how Williams clearly gave each planet in TPM a very strong musical indentity, not necessarily thematic, but in terms of instrumentation and orchestral color. This passage perfectly conveys Theed and its culture

00:17 to 00:46 It's the sort of track that exemplifies how Williams clearly gave each planet in TPM a very strong musical indentity, not necessarily thematic, but in terms of instrumentation and orchestral color. This passage perfectly conveys Theed and its culture

Yes, one of my favourite passages in TPM. Very eloquent.

A little longer than the "15 seconds" requirement, but 2:32-2:59 are awesome.

1:04-1:51.  Bone-chilling.  And to keep it short I even had to leave out the Sith chorale bit!

Actually while I was looking for the last clip I was watching this video trying to find the right cue and watching it reminded me that this entire scene is a goosebumps moment for me. I know some people are not huge fans of the movie and the score (as compared to the original trilogy), however, I think that this is one of the best examples in the entire Star Wars Saga that shows Williams' brilliance in writing a piece that gives the scene the exact feel that Lucas wanted the audience to feel while watching it. 

The whole "Rise of the Empire" sequence might well be my favorite all-time five minutes in film music history.

The beautiful harp reading of the main theme from The Fury in Hester's Theme and the House on the OST, 1:53-2:15 (Before Dinner in the film score, 0:37-0:58). There is some ghostly tenderness there that gets me every time.

I don't know why but I absolutely love this part of the Battle of Hoth in Empire, such a great climatic moment (4:01-4:23). I have not watched Empire in quite some time but I do believe this part is not in the actual movie itself, but I could be wrong.

Correct, that bit was dialed out of the final film. Always loved that part!

That intro gave me chills the first time I heard it and it was a total waste that it never appeared in the final film.

• 2 weeks later...

1:18

Absolutely gorgeous writing up until the very end. There's a chord progression in there reminding me of Shore's History of the Ring theme.

• 2 weeks later...

I know everyone prefers the film version of The Departure AKA Saying Goodbye, but Williams' original version with the clarinet/oboe/whatever playing E.T.'s theme there is pretty magical, especially on the Erich Kunzel Star Tracks recording.

The horns at 0:47 - I vividly remember watching and listening to that very moment the first time I saw HP1 14 years ago.

Can't believe the score/movie is almost 15 years old now.

1:41 - 2:09

We've all heard the Star Wars "theme" and the concert suite so many times that I think it can be easy to forget how wonderfully effective Williams' scoring is in the moments immediately after the crawl and its weight and power in the actual movie experience. This is an incredibly important section in terms of setting the transitionary tone out of the bombastic title march and into the movie proper. The way it shifts with the strings climbing up frantically as the words disappear into a series of ominous chords, heightening the tension, only to allow us momentary pause as we reflect on the stars. This fleeting meditation gives way to more rushing strings, giving us yet another pang of unease as they rise rise but we descend. A new alien planet system is then announced with a massive timpani roll and gong hit before ramping up into a fanfare flourish which is abbreviated due to the sudden overhead appearance of visual chaos.

All of this juking around purposefully puts you off balance and is musically striking at the same time. Williams prepares you so perfectly for all of this in the span of about 25 seconds that it's ridiculous.

Quality post!

• 2 weeks later...

Yes! If you never heard any cue from the score first, you'd assume Yoda's theme there is actually the B Section of the Force Theme, it so fluidly flows from the main Force Theme. But knowing its Yoda's theme, it works freaking great that way too!!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Ah yes, almost forgot about that trombone! ;)

I also really like the fanfare at around 5:57, and the "mayhem" bits at 6:45 and 7:04. TLC score is full of so many little surprises!

• 2 weeks later...

Not exactly short, and not especially long, but this version of the "Somewhere In My Memory" theme, without chorus (the Walking Home cue) is hands down my favorite in the entire score. Great orchestration

0:00 - 1:00