Favorite short musical moments in Williams scores?

Balahkay

On 18-2-2017 at 11:20 PM, Will said:

In Williams concertos, the music always feels to me like it's reaching for something, but never getting there, leading to an unsatisfying experience. There's not the same easy-to-love "resonance" (it's hard to describe). 

It's that constant feeling of tension and propulsion (most apparent in the faster movements) that I really enjoy.

Longer than 15 seconds, but the last few days I've been looping the last minute of 1941's "Kelso in Barstow"/"Kelso in Barstow (alternate)"/"The Invasion" like crazy. 3:08-3:23 (using "Kelso in Barstow" as an example) is my favorite bit, if I had to narrow it down. Could listen to that all day long, especially that second-to-last trumpet minor chord!!! Also love the winding violins at 3:04-3:08, the horn call at 3:15, etc. etc.

The "alternate" version is great if you want to hear the third-to-last chord prolonged for full effect, but a cracked trumpet note in one of the licks preceding makes it not the best performance of this passage. Still, a real thrill of a cue.

I know this score tends to get a bit tiring on the ears with the constant in-your-face reprises of the main march theme/fanfare, but if I had to pick one highlight from the score where it is not only bearable, but highly enjoyable, this would hands-down be it.

9 hours ago, Will said:

I really love the rhythm of the end of this scene -- how Finn's "Woo!" is followed by a big chord right as the Falcon shoots past the camera. Awesome film/music combo.

https://youtu.be/8sarFZJl3h0?t=263

(Can't embed for some reason, sorry.)

Yes! One of my favorite moments in the Force Awakens score

I also like the film/music combo when Finn's targeting computer focuses in on the TIE fighter (plus how Williams leads into that moment).

https://youtu.be/8sarFZJl3h0?t=134

The "rhythm" of everything is just perfect. 

Also, the perfect little "rolling" figure as BB-8 rolls:

https://youtu.be/8sarFZJl3h0?t=162

The "boom-tsss" as the Falcon runs into the gateway thing is kind of funny too, although it may not have been intentional mickey mousing:

https://youtu.be/8sarFZJl3h0?t=79

Really, this does make me realize that, all in all, this cue wasn't treated all that badly (at least given that this is the modern era of film). It's mixed pretty well, and most of the sync points are clearly preserved, and up until near the end the cue plays almost perfectly, although near the end there's a lot of repeated sections. 

15 minutes ago, LampPost said:

Uuuhhh...1:46 - 1:54? :) 

Of course, I just didn't mention that one because it was so "obvious" - how could you not love it? ;)

On 4/11/2017 at 1:42 AM, BloodBoal said:

Wow.

Putting John Williams music online and giving it a Giacchino-like title: whoever uploaded that video is a douchebag!

Well Giacchino is the new JW. Might as well ease the transition :P.

22 hours ago, Alex said:

Love TLW, would love to see the sheet music for some of those action cues.

The sheet music leaked publicly ages ago.  Its easily found online.

1 hour ago, Jay said:

The sheet music leaked publicly ages ago.  Its easily found online.

Thanks, I don't suppose you could point me in the right direction (assuming the website they can be found on isn't questionable)

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 4/12/2017 at 5:21 PM, Alex said:

Thanks, I don't suppose you could point me in the right direction (assuming the website they can be found on isn't questionable)

It's illegal to share scans of copyrighted music, so of course I can't link you anywhere on this public forum

16 minutes ago, Jay said:

It's illegal to share scans of copyrighted music, so of course I can't link you anywhere on this public forum

No worries, apologies!