Favorite short musical moments in Williams scores?

Balahkay

• 3 weeks later...

1:50 - 2:19

I love this little section in the Minority Report score.  I can't quite tell what the orchestration is.  I know I hear clarinets and horns, with that cool cello rhythm coming in and out.  What else is there?  Maybe some soft trumpets?  It's great.

FUN FACT! The first thread I ever created here at Jay Dubya Fan was really just an excuse to talk about how much I love this score:

The first 20 seconds of Remembering David Hobbie.  Sometimes I walk outside in the early evening and can almost feel the feeling of that music in the air.  Could be excessive drug use in youth, but I do believe that a place imparts a certain quality and atmosphere to a person's music.

The little playful rendition of the Raiders theme for the dog Indiana, whom Henry Jr. got his nickname after, and in real life, was Lucas' dog, who inspired Chewbacca!

Also, the percussion here seems to imitate the "du-dum"s of a train rolling down the track, not unlike what Silvestri did next year for the finale of BTTF3.

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Loert said:

3:53 - 4:14

This whole passage has so much momentum it could launch a satellite out of the Solar System! The harmonic shift at 4:13 is particularly forceful.

Indeed. And the ending fanfare is incredible

• 3 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Will said:

I would've put the whole cue, but then that wouldn't be a short musical moment anymore. 

Awesome cue, though my favourite bit is 6:56 - 7:02. :D 

I want to talk about how much I fucking love the rhythmic trumpet phrases you can hear in the bike chase cue when you see them flying over the houses.  Where you can see all the pools.  I'm pretty sure this is the only arrangement of the flying theme to include this.  Really makes this climactic performance of the theme special.

At 3:36, 3:40, 3:45 and 3:49

On 07/09/2017 at 1:26 AM, Disco Stu said:

I want to talk about how much I fucking love the rhythmic trumpet phrases you can hear in the bike chase cue when you see them flying over the houses.  Where you can see all the pools.  I'm pretty sure this is the only arrangement of the flying theme to include this.  Really makes this climactic performance of the theme special.

Agreed.

JW is a master when it comes to these arrangements. This is a bit like the trumpets playing the rhythmic phrases during the main title of Star Wars (you know what I mean!). Usually you can hear it, but sometimes (like in the case of the prequels) you can barely hear it, but it's always there and I always take note of it, because it's just so fucking awesome. 

The part here in A.I. when David flips out and kills the other David:

4:49 - 5:06

It reminds me so much of some of his horror/action writing for Jurassic Park and Lost World, if it was a blind listening test I'd probably have identified it as being from one of those instead of AI.  It even has the spinny noise maker percussion thing.

40 minutes ago, Holko said:

Jedi Steps, anyone?

Similar vibe yeah.

11 hours ago, Disco Stu said:

The part here in A.I. when David flips out and kills the other David:

4:49 - 5:06

It reminds me so much of some of his horror/action writing for Jurassic Park and Lost World, if it was a blind listening test I'd probably have identified it as being from one of those instead of AI.  It even has the spinny noise maker percussion thing.

I've posted before, and I'll post again: THE MECHA WORLD is one of the best single cues that JW has ever...fucking...done. EVER.

3:07 - 3:34 is my favourite bit :)

On 06/09/2017 at 5:26 PM, Disco Stu said:

Sounds like these trumpets from Petrushka:

On 10/09/2017 at 7:39 AM, Richard said:

I've posted before, and I'll post again: THE MECHA WORLD is one of the best single cues that JW has ever...fucking...done. EVER.

3:07 - 3:34 is my favourite bit :)

Love the entire final act of A.I., but the moment you mention always gives me a cringey feeling. Woodwind are a little hyperactive for my taste.

• 1 month later...

Very nice idea to quote "Spanish Ladies" for Quint's thinking. On my second listening of the score, I just stopped here and said What? Captain Haddock's Theme in Jaws? Of course I realised very quickly that Quint sings it all the time, but Haddock starts out pretty damn similar and finishes with a mirrored progression if I'm not mistaken - Spanish Ladies goes from high to gradually lower, while Haddock goes higher. The connection makes sense, since Haddock is also a grumpy old seafarer, and there are no shanties featuring Blistering Barnacles or Thundering Typhoons that I know of (and I 100%-ed AC4 twice!).

20 hours ago, Disco Stu said:

It's kind of amazing how many cool applications he manages for Rey's theme in that score.

It's EVERYWHERE. It's probably used just as much as Across the Stars in AOTC, actually it's quite interesting how similar those two scores are from a structural standpoint. They're both heavily reliant on one theme, whereas other movies are like a giant pinata filled with themes. 

5 hours ago, someonefun124 said:

Rey's theme is one of the most versatile themes Williams has written.

Interesting... I don't necessarily disagree with you, but why? He's written quite a lot of versatile themes, just curious why this one would stick out to you as more so. 

On 11/4/2017 at 4:58 AM, YoYoMama said:

Interesting... I don't necessarily disagree with you, but why? He's written quite a lot of versatile themes, just curious why this one would stick out to you as more so. 

I think it's among Williams most versatile themes simply because he was able to adapt it to a variety of functions and moods throughout the score.  To name a few...

Adventure

Somber

Drama

Playful/Lighthearted

Action

Badass

29 minutes ago, mrbellamy said:

Stu's Lincoln thread just reminded me of this, that leap in the trumpet at 3:20 and the strings in response. Still remember how unexpectedly spine-tingling that was the first time I heard it. 

Chris Martin is a God.

(no Coldplay jokes please)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...