Favorite short musical moments in Williams scores?

Balahkay

11 hours ago, Richard said:

Stu, watch JAWS2 for:

- Michael Butler's nice photography (at yeast the equal of the original),

- Neal Travis' crisp editing,

- Roy Schneider's 'phoned-yet-still-somehow-heartfelt portrayal of a man under pressure,

-JW's score (END TITLE/END CAST-sigh :)).

Other than that, it's all "business as usual". I continue to not give one fuck about those kids.

I'll give you the photography and Roy Scheider. The movie could've been great, even as good as the original if it focused more Brody's internal dilemma and conflict with the town rather than Bruce 2.0. As it is, that movie gives me a queasy feeling, like it shouldn't exist.

1 minute ago, Nick Parker said:

Seriously, what are you waiting for? 

This!

1 minute ago, Nick Parker said:

Yeah, go watch it.

See you on the other side.

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Mitth'raw'nuorodo said:

My favorite has to be the end of "Main Title and Escape." That whole tragic passage from 6:13 to 6:44 often makes me tear up. The brass writing there is so powerful

This track has steadily risen into one of my favorite Williams tracks (my opinion of it at first was not very kind). The section you single out is great, just full of that meat that good Star Wars music should be...and when all of those different layers drop out at the last few seconds for pure brass...talk about a powerhouse of an opening setpiece.

8 minutes ago, artguy360 said:

Main Title and Escape from TLJ OST is a fantastic action cue. It's one of those rare situations of JW action music where I far prefer the OST version to the film version. In the film the music and editing is very disjointed and without flow, whereas the OST track just gives us the best bits with nice sharp transitions and impactful edits. 

Absolutely, it's a great testament to the power of a carefully curated Listening Experience. And the album-only March of the Resistance is tough to beat.

15 minutes ago, Nick Parker said:

Absolutely, it's a great testament to the power of a carefully curated Listening Experience. And the album-only March of the Resistance is tough to beat.

Yes, the OST version has some really sharp edits and set ups for immediate musical payoffs. I assume you are referring to the initial, rushed, dance-like statement of MOTR that is immediately followed by a much more powerful, march rendition of MOTR? 

Love the weird little pizzicato strings and piano that play for the little bit where Vader is just standing there, starting to fall over, without a head.  What an interesting, odd musical choice for that moment.

At 4:13

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
20 hours ago, Holko said:

2:15-2:39

Those two last strikes are a fantastically satisfying resolution to this mini-buildup.

Yes!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
30 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

I don't know if this qualifies as short, and I don't know if it's a favorite, but the last 45 seconds or so of "The Raptors Appear" sure is bugnuts, huh?

For sure, that's pure insanity. 

Holdo's Resolve is one of my absolute JW short favorites

Every time I've listened to this piece, the little string moment at 0:54 is so familiar to me. For months I've wondered where else I heard Williams doing that.

FINALLY after going through every single note of The Terminal (which wasn't difficult considering it's my favourite Williams score) I've found that little thing that reminds me of that above moment in the Catch Me If You Can piece.

0:07 - 

• 3 weeks later...
On 12/8/2018 at 8:09 AM, Balahkay said:

"Setting the Trap" is among my top 20 Williams tracks but I've always loved this segment in particular: :52 to 1:10

Yes, it is nice, isn't it? 

Shades of TRAINING WITH GEORGE/GEORGE SETS THE PACE, in there. My favourite bit is :43 - :46.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Obviously the opening of My Friend the Brachiosaurus is great but for some reason I'm just now realizing how sublime the end is too: 

What a gorgeous melody - crazy it's only a one-off thing. I feel like it's just about good enough to be another composer's main theme! 

And then this little pizzicato riff is so fun and whimsical: 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Anyone have anything good to post though?

1:11 - 2:38

On 4/16/2019 at 4:19 PM, Fabulin said:

The lush love theme from TOD is one of my favorite themes in Williams' ouvre. And here it so sweetly and innocently invites us to an adventure!

Reminds me of different themes I wrote years back.

On 7/24/2019 at 7:34 PM, Borodin said:

Anyone have anything good to post though?

Sure do!  I'm gonna keep it mainstream with Indy and Luke's themes.

My absolute favorite version of the Raider's March B theme:

and MY ABSOLUTE favorite version of Luke's theme (3:44-4:00).  It's like the Luke Skywalker March

• 2 weeks later...