The Hayao Miyazaki Retrospective Thread

BloodBoal

Yeah, I've seen those.  The GKIDS versions have a somewhat darker looking transfer, which is apparently the same transfer as the Japanese version of the Miyazaki Collection released in 2014.  The Disney version(s) used the 2010 Japanese Blu-ray transfer which was pretty bright comparatively.  I will probably end up picking up some or all of the new sets, provided I can afford it.  They were recently on sale for fairly cheap, but I didn't snatch them up in time.

1 hour ago, BloodBoal said:

Cool article, thanks for that.  Here's a key piece from it

So if you slept on picking up the Disney editions (which are now out of print, obviously), you don’t have to fret too much.

Each of these films looks and sounds so crisp and clear in these Blu-ray editions, you’ll forget any other version of you’ve seen. You can see the individual elements used for the animation, in the backgrounds and characters, and they’re gorgeous things to behold.

I hadn't realized the Disney ones had gone out of print.  Fascinating that they would let this license get away from them, or that Ghibli would even want to go with another US distributor after everything Disney did for them.  Interesting.

7 hours ago, BloodBoal said:

Looks like Miyazaki films are getting new Blu-Ray releases (done by Shout! Factory), some of them featuring a new transfer and new bonus features, as well as some fixed dubbing/subtitles issues. Thought this might be of interest to people like @nightscape94.

Nausicaä Of The Valley Of The Wind
Laputa: Castle In The Sky
My Neighbor Totoro

Kiki's Delivery Service

Porco Rosso
Princess Mononoke

Spirited Away
Howl's Moving Castle
Ponyo On The Cliff By The Sea

The Castle Of Cagliostro and The Wind Rises didn't get a new release yet (I'm guessing Cagliostro will probably be skipped because it's Miyazaki's least known film).

Cagilostro probably isn't getting released with the set because to my best knowledge it's owned by a different studio. 

• 1 year later...
  • 4 months later...
2 minutes ago, Not Mr. Big said:

HBO's streaming service is hot garbage

This particular service (HBO Max) hasn't launched yet, but when I was an HBO Now subscriber I didn't have any particular issues.

24 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

This particular service (HBO Max) hasn't launched yet, but when I was an HBO Now subscriber I didn't have any particular issues.

The video quality of the HBO Now app was on the level of pre-2010 YouTube.  The compression was so bad.  Plus it crashed all the fucking time.  Doesn't give me hope for this new thing if their main one doesn't even work

Plus they cropped 2:35 movies to be 16:9, which earns them a special place in h*ll

2 minutes ago, Not Mr. Big said:

Plus they cropped 2:35 movies in 16:9, which earns them a special place in hell

This I didn't realize, because I never really used it to watch catalog films, just HBO originals.  Yeah that's horrible.

I don't understand why Netflix and Amazon Prime can offer great 4K streams, but HBO, who has been filming their original shows in 4K for years, does not offer any 4K streaming at all - and charges SO much more than those other services.  And their interface is the nut low

42 minutes ago, Not Mr. Big said:

The video quality of the HBO Now app was on the level of pre-2010 YouTube.  The compression was so bad.  Plus it crashed all the fucking time.  Doesn't give me hope for this new thing if their main one doesn't even work

Exactly my experience from earlier this year when I tried one month free for GoT.

• 3 years later...

Anyone else contemplating re-watching Miyazaki's feature filmography ahead of the new film coming out this summer?  I kind of want to, though don't know where I'll find the time

Just now, Jay said:

Anyone else contemplating re-watching Miyazaki's feature filmography ahead of the new film coming out this summer?  I kind of want to, though don't know where I'll find the time

Yes, I plan to.

11 minutes ago, Jay said:

I’m looking forward to the Ghibli fest and live Spirited Away, so I’ll see a few of them that way. I’ve got got all of them on Blu-Ray, but haven’t seen any on in the big screen.

But I won’t revisit Grave of the Fireflies. That film wrecks me.

Yea I'm tempted to revisit via those theatrical showings too! I own all his movies on blu ray, but they're all the Disney editions; I can't remember now if there are different English dubs now with different actors, and I've never seen any of them in the original language with subtitles, so maybe nows the time for that too. Not sure what I want to do... 

And man, I had never heard of that live Spirited Away before I saw the Fest trailer; it looks trippy