Is Disney ruining Star Wars for you?

Episodes VII-IX, Young Han Solo: The Movie, Boba Fett: The Movie, Star Wars: The Disneyland Land, Space Mountain becomes Hyperspace Mountain, etc. This is overwhelming, John. I mean, I always knew Star Trek would win the war, but I shared a love for Star Wars through the good times and the bad, AKA the Prequels. Yet, I'm finding that love being put to the test lately. It seems worse, somehow. It's all too much. Disney is oversaturating the fuck out of this franchise and I'm just getting sick of it.

Thoughts?

It's too soon to tell for me really but I'm not surprised they're trying to get what they can out of the franchise. They did spend $4.2 billion after all. I'm a little surprised they don't have any plans for Indy in the near future. I guess they're too involved with Star Wars to bother right now.

I've been cleansed from Star Wars fanaticism quite some time ago. Haven't watched the original trilogy in about ten years now.

I have no expectations for this new film and even my excitement for Williams score is not as feverish as in the prequel era. I'm pretty sure it will be good.

So the new film(s) I'll welcome with an open mind. If they're good, great. If not, then it's nothing new.

Karol

They can't do what it once did so in many ways it's all kinda futile (unless you're Disney's bank). The best thing we can hope for is that the new movies can provide for a two hour distraction.

Alex

Disney's making sure they recoup their $4.2 billion investment. Everyone should've expected that when they bought Lucasfilm back in October 2012, they milk their properties for all the money they're worth.

The big upside is that Lucas is no longer running the show. Kathleen Kennedy is, and she's one of the best producers in Hollywood right now.

Just to echo what everyone else has said, could care less about the movies themselves if it means John Williams is composing 2 new hours of SW music every 18 months. What a delightful gift for us that he agreed to keep going with these movies when he could've enjoyed semi-retirement.

We're very lucky, I reckon.

I'll reserve any judgment of Disney's impact on Star Wars until I see finished movies. I'll take a good-or-better Star Wars movie on a yearly basis over the previous schedule of "3 bad Star Wars movies over a period of 22 years."

As far as the marketing push for the movie, this is no bigger than, and probably more subdued than the push for The Phantom Menace in 1999. The rate of novels has actually slowed down a bit over the past few years, too. Disney's purchase has changed some of the WAYS Star Wars is being marketed (theme park expansion), but it hasn't changed the fact that Star Wars crap is always going to be sold in a variety of ways to whoever will buy it.

So people lament being overflooded with superhero movies, but they're OK with being overflooded with Star Wars movies?

I don't lament that either, I love superhero movies and I see almost all of them in theaters (sorry Fantastic Four)

So people lament being overflooded with superhero movies, but they're OK with being overflooded with Star Wars movies?

But Star Wars is better than everything

Just to echo what everyone else has said, could care less about the movies themselves if it means John Williams is composing 2 new hours of SW music every 18 months. What a delightful gift for us that he agreed to keep going with these movies when he could've enjoyed semi-retirement.

We're very lucky, I reckon.

I think Episode VII is the last Episode that JW would score.

There will be one Star Wars movie per year.

There are 4-5 superhero movies per year currently.

I don't think it's ruining it for me just yet. I guess I'm startled that all of a sudden (yes, new movie etc) it's sort of exploded in a way it didn't do when the Special Edition came out in 1997 which until Sith came out, was the last time I remember massive Star Wars stuff out. All the movies feel a bit much and yet...not. Sort of like the Expanded Universe. We'll see once they all come out.

So how many Disney films are we gonna get each year, now?

1 animated movie + 3 superhero movies + 1 SW movie + other random movies?

2015: 8 - 2 live action, 2 Marvel, 2 Pixar, 1 Disneynature, 1 Star Wars

Cinderella & Tomorrowland

Avengers 2 & Ant-Man

Inside Out & The Good Dinosaur

Monkey Kingdom

Episode 7

2016: 12 - 5 live action, 2 animated, 2 Marvel, 1 Pixar, 1 Disneynature, 1 Star Wars

The Finest Hours & The Jungle Book & The BFG & Through The Looking Glass & Pete's Dragon

Zootopis & Moana

Civil War & Doctor Strange

Finding Dory

Born In China

Rogue One

2017: 8 - 3 live action, 2 Marvel, 2 Pixar, 1 Star Wars

Beauty and The Beast & Pirates 5 & Ghost In the Shell

Guardians of the Galaxy 2 & Thor 3 [spider-man reboot is Sony]

Toy Story 4 & Coco

Episode 8

2018: 3 Marvel, 1 live action, 1 animated, 1 Pixar, 1 Star Wars

Avengers 3 & Black Panther & Captain Marvel

Gigantic

unknown Disney animated film

unknown Pixar film

Han Solo

For me, as somebody who got into Star Wars in the mid 1990s, the series has always been a continuing story - whether it's films, TV episodes, books, comics, video games, etc. The fact that the emphasis is being placed more on films, in my mind, can only be a good thing.

\2016: 12 - 4 live action, 3 animated, 2 Marvel, 1 Pixar, 1 Disneynature, 1 Star Wars

The Finest Hours & The Jungle Book & Through The Looking Glass & Pete's Dragon

Zootopis & The BFG & Moana

Civil War & Doctor Strange

Finding Dory

Born In China

Rogue One

Isn't The BFG live action?

Fixed!

BTW, just read this about The BFG on wikipedia, and thought it was interesting

The BFG is the first Disney-branded film directed by Spielberg; though he has previously produced several films for the studio.[13] The film also marks the first Walt Disney Pictures production since Dragonslayer to be co-produced by another major studio,[12] and since The Chronicles of Narnia: Prince Caspian to be co-produced by Walden Media. The film also marks the first collaboration between Disney and DreamWorks, as well as the first Disney-produced Roald Dahl adaptation since James and the Giant

“Now, witness the power of this fully operational battle station.”

[Disney logo]

We're not going to see the Mouse House logo on the live-action films. Disney's going to treat Lucasfilm like they are with Marvel Studios... letting the brand names speak for themselves.

Oversaturation can easily sour my opinion of a franchise, but I'm not at that point with Star Wars. That's not too say I agree with every decision Disney had made. But if the new films are great - or even just reasonably fun - I don't think you'll hear me complaining much.

But if the new films are great - or even just reasonably fun - I don't think you'll hear me complaining much.

How about "Hey, they are better than the prequels"? Isn't that enough for people to start throwing hats?

crowd-applauding-in-theatr_450_zpsuho1xi

I say Abrams has an easy job.

It'd at least be a step in the right direction, though personally, I'd rather get something with brilliant directing, interesting cinematography, believable acting, and a screenplay by someone who can really write...

It'd at least be a step in the right direction, though personally, I'd rather get something with brilliant directing, interesting cinematography, believable acting, and a screenplay by someone who can really write...

Because, of course, Star Wars is largely known for all of these things. :sarcasm:

Karol