Non-JW Favourite Short Musical Moments

Jilal

58:18 - 59:11

One of the more hair-raising moments in the opera, especially when you follow along with the words. The way Strauss replicates the sound of "giant beating wings" with the gong always puts me on edge!

• 3 weeks later...
On 3/30/2017 at 9:04 PM, Will said:

Just heard about this score yesterday when Filmtracks named it best score of 2016! Listened to the whole OST last night. 

Hey thanks for the tip Will; I haven't heard this score either but I see its on Spotify, so I'll check it out!

https://open.spotify.com/album/5F31pDxBHGjmuvxtPkFnHT

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01B3RXIKM/

https://itunes.apple.com/us/album/id1078917117

4 hours ago, Disco Stu said:

You should listen to some non-Williams, non-Star Wars scores sometimes, Will.  There's some good stuff out there...

4 hours ago, BloodBoal said:

Yes, like... LA-LA-LAND!

4 hours ago, Jay said:

Hey thanks for the tip Will; I haven't heard this score either but I see its on Spotify, so I'll check it out!

Thanks for saving me, Jay! :P

• 1 month later...

I've posted about him several times!  I started getting into the wind band repertoire a couple of years ago (when I started playing with a community band) so naturally Mackey came up pretty quickly in my discoveries.

My favorite moment in the entire score because it's so brief.  It's the only time in the entire film Kane is allowed to be uncomplicatedly happy and the music reflects that.  It lasts only a few seconds, like Herrmann is teasing us with a bit from an entirely different, more bucolic score.

5 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

My favorite moment in the entire score because it's so brief.  It's the only time in the entire film Kane is allowed to be uncomplicatedly happy and the music reflects that.  It lasts only a few seconds, like Herrmann is teasing us with a bit from an entirely different, more bucolic score.

Exactly! Well said.

Always the first moment that comes to mind when I think of that score - it sticks in your head throughout the film even when Kane and Herrmann have moved on so far from it.

40:17 - 40:27

Sounds like the kind of music that would accompany a transition to a Star Destroyer floating across the screen with the Death Star in the background...

10:10 - 10:34. I love the orchestration here. Fun and catchy, going from Brass to Winds, back to Brass, then to strings, all whilst a string ostinato continues in the background with repeating Woodwinds. It's like all the instrument groups are having a conversation with each other.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 03/06/2017 at 11:27 PM, Will said:

Been running through my head for the last hour. One of those little moments of delicious-ness that the best action cues have.

3:46 - 4:01 (particularly the pay-off at 3:58)

Loving the high THUNDERBALL-esque brass at 3:55.

• 2 weeks later...

This theme introduction in the "On the Alpine Pasture" section of Strauss' Alpine Symphony.  I love how he plays with this theme throughout "Through Thickets and Undergrowth on the Wrong Path" but the short intro of it is so beautiful on solo horn:

I'm a sucker for a stately horn

11 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

This theme introduction in the "On the Alpine Pasture" section of Strauss' Alpine Symphony.  I love how he plays with this theme throughout "Through Thickets and Undergrowth on the Wrong Path" but the short intro of it is so beautiful on solo horn:

Great moment, exceptional work, one of my very favourites! Also love the horns that play towards the end of "The Glacier", from 19:09.

My short moment; the cheeky Holst-like woodwind at 1:48 - 1:57:

5 minutes ago, Loert said:

Great moment, exceptional work, one of my very favourites! Also love the horns that play towards the end of "The Glacier", from 19:09.

It feels almost like a boring cliche for a film score fan to talk about R. Strauss since his tone poems were such a massive influence on the medium, but sometimes you just gotta lean into loving the popular stuff.

• 3 weeks later...

Well there really is no comparison. It would take many lifetimes for Shore to have mastered the nuance, subtlety and craft of a Djawadi classic like that.

More seriously, how fucking glorious is this? Like a proper Wagnerian sendoff!

• 2 weeks later...