• Announcements

• Jay

Donate to JWFan, win a CD!   05/30/17

Hello!

We are significantly behind on our funds for keeping JWFan alive, and need to collect donations again.
      As an incentive, I am offering a series of free CDS to anyone who donates over a certain amount!   Donate at least $10 and you will be entered into a pool to potentially win one of the following once we hit our $250 goal:   Tyler Bates - God of War; Ascension (OST, La La Land Records) Danny Elfman - Planet of the Apes (OST, Sony) Danny Elfman - Taking Woodstock (OST, La La Land Records) Christopher Lennertz - Identity Thief (OST, La La Land Records) Christopher Lennertz - Medal of Honor: Rising Sun (OST) Michael Giacchino - Mission: Impossible - Ghost Protocol (OST, Varese Sarabande) Dave Holmes & Various - Ocean's 11 (OST, WB Records) Joel McNeely & Various - Hollywood '94 (Varese Sarabande) Joe Kraemer - Jack Reacher (OST, La La Land Records) John Williams - Born on the Fourth of July (OST, MCA Records)   Donate at least $20 and you will be entered into a pool to potentially win one of the following once we hit our $500 goal:   John Barry - First Love (La La Land) Jerry Goldsmith - The Challenge (La La Land) Jerry Goldsmith - In Harm's Way (2009 Intrada edition) Jerry Goldsmith - The Red Pony (Varese) Alan Silvestri - Dutch (La La Land) Shirley Walker - Willard (La La Land) John Williams - Family Plot (Varese Sarabande) or, any of the above CDs if you prefer   Donate at least $30 and you will be entered into a pool to potentially win one of the following once we hit our $750 goal:   James Horner - Gorky Park (OOP Kritzerland Edition) James Newton Howard - Outbreak (2CD, Varese Deluxe Edition) Laurence Rosenthal - Clash of the Titans (2CD, Intrada) John Williams - The Fury (2CD, La La Land) John Williams - Jane Eyre (OOP, La La Land) or, any of the above CDs if you prefer   Donate at least $50 and you will be entered into a pool to potentially win one of the following once we hit our $1,000 goal:   Jerry Fielding - The Wild Bunch (3CD, FSM) Ira Newborn - The Naked Gun trilogy (3CD, La La Land) Shirley Walker and Various - Batman: The Animated Series Volume 3 (4CD, La La Land) or, any of the above CDs if you prefer     All shipping will be paid by me to anywhere in the world!   I will pull names from a hat for each pool, and you get to pick whatever CD set you want if I pull your name!   To be eligible, leave your JWFan username in the comments area of your donation.  If you want to donate but not be in the running for a free CD, mention that in the comment.   Use this link or the link on the mainpage.       Thank you!   Jason, Ricard, and Andreas.
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Jilal

The Official Strictly Non-Williams Favourite Short Musical Moments Thread™

276 posts in this topic

The ebbing string voices in the opening 15 seconds:

0:53-1:27

The perfect culmination of all the Ring-related material.  I wouldn't mind getting the chance to ask Jackson what the hell he was thinking dialing that out in the final cut.

Somewhere during post production of TTT he lost his mind and was never the same again

He's such an underrated, under used composer. EXCALIBUR, THE DARK CRYSTAL, THE LAST PLACE ON EARTH, LABYRINTH: they are all fine scores.

Indeed. If anything, he's a fantastic orchestrator. He really knows how to bring out the most out of all the sections. The orchestra rarely sounds so rich or large in modern scores (take note Djitichino!).

45:27 - 45:58

King Kong falls down the Empire State Building.

Just heard about this score yesterday when Filmtracks named it best score of 2016! Listened to the whole OST last night. 

1:41 - 2:48

Love the War Horse-like melody, then the cool wind transition, and then the awesome-y optimistic and exciting segment after that (particularly the first melody in the exciting segment). Marvelous.

Some of the best chords remind me a bit of this awesome (IMO!) CBS golf theme music:

58:18 - 59:11

One of the more hair-raising moments in the opera, especially when you follow along with the words. The way Strauss replicates the sound of "giant beating wings" with the gong always puts me on edge!

0:56-1:13

That AT-AT music afterward is also really fun. 

You should listen to some non-Williams, non-Star Wars scores sometimes, Will.  There's some good stuff out there...

On 3/30/2017 at 9:04 PM, Will said:

Just heard about this score yesterday when Filmtracks named it best score of 2016! Listened to the whole OST last night. 

Hey thanks for the tip Will; I haven't heard this score either but I see its on Spotify, so I'll check it out!

https://open.spotify.com/album/5F31pDxBHGjmuvxtPkFnHT

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01B3RXIKM/

https://itunes.apple.com/us/album/id1078917117

3 minutes ago, BloodBoal said:

Yes, like... LA-LA-LAND!

Or the Star Trek: Deep Space Nine Collection!

4 hours ago, Disco Stu said:

You should listen to some non-Williams, non-Star Wars scores sometimes, Will.  There's some good stuff out there...

4 hours ago, BloodBoal said:

Yes, like... LA-LA-LAND!

4 hours ago, Jay said:

Hey thanks for the tip Will; I haven't heard this score either but I see its on Spotify, so I'll check it out!

Thanks for saving me, Jay! :P

So you listened one non-Williams, non-Star Wars score.  What do you want, a party? :P 

Will likes this

I've posted about him several times!  I started getting into the wind band repertoire a couple of years ago (when I started playing with a community band) so naturally Mackey came up pretty quickly in my discoveries.

My favorite moment in the entire score because it's so brief.  It's the only time in the entire film Kane is allowed to be uncomplicatedly happy and the music reflects that.  It lasts only a few seconds, like Herrmann is teasing us with a bit from an entirely different, more bucolic score.

DominicCobb likes this

On 23/05/2017 at 9:34 PM, TheGreyPilgrim said:

Funky!

#FilmMusicNeedsTubaphones

TheGreyPilgrim likes this

5 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

My favorite moment in the entire score because it's so brief.  It's the only time in the entire film Kane is allowed to be uncomplicatedly happy and the music reflects that.  It lasts only a few seconds, like Herrmann is teasing us with a bit from an entirely different, more bucolic score.

Exactly! Well said.

Always the first moment that comes to mind when I think of that score - it sticks in your head throughout the film even when Kane and Herrmann have moved on so far from it.

40:17 - 40:27

Sounds like the kind of music that would accompany a transition to a Star Destroyer floating across the screen with the Death Star in the background...

Will likes this

Shit! Now Strauss is ripping-off Giacchino! This will not stand, man, this ripping-off will not stand!

Loert and Will like this

10:10 - 10:34. I love the orchestration here. Fun and catchy, going from Brass to Winds, back to Brass, then to strings, all whilst a string ostinato continues in the background with repeating Woodwinds. It's like all the instrument groups are having a conversation with each other.

That opening fanfare of Jupiter Ascending has always reminded me of the music that plays in Super Metroid when you load up a save point

Been running through my head for the last hour. One of those little moments of delicious-ness that the best action cues have.

3:46 - 4:01 (particularly the pay-off at 3:58)

Sharky and Cerebral Cortex like this

Something absolutely wondrous and CE3K-esque about this moment:

Will and Sharky like this