Sign in to follow this  
Jilal

The Official Strictly Non-Williams Favourite Short Musical Moments Thread™

I've obnoxiously gushed countless times that no one does a finale like that Powell fella. Even the more 'minor' Powell works often build up to a dandy climax (the Rio scores come to mind). 

4 second explosion of expressive chromatic dissonance.  Righteous organ fit for a prog rock band.  No other recording I've found has the organ so forward in the mix for this part, and its totally key to off-kilter effect in my opinion.

5:41 - 5:46

The Scherzo movement of his Organ Symphony is truly one of my absolute favorite Copland works.  I think the symphony in general gets kind of a bum rap.  Many critics are a little dismissive of it.

The rhythm starting at 2:00. Sounds Kong-esque to me (not referring to a particular King Kong score, just...brings to mind King Kong in general).

The brass section really earned their paychecks in this score! If Solo's score is a glorious banquet fit for a king, this is a medium-well bacon cheeseburger cooked by a local greasy-but-cozy cafe.

Getting more into the God of War OST.

One of my favorite settings (that I've noticed) of the main Kratos theme is at 2:15-2:27 below.   Transposed from its native low  C minor to a soaring  A minor.

"Valkyries" is a great track in general.

Perhaps because this score doesn't really have many original melodies, this little moment really stood out to me in the film (during the copter chase). 

Listening to Copland again, as usual.

This lovely section in the first movement with a single trombone underpinning the woodwinds.  The strings very softly come back in after a while before the movement begins to build up steam again. 

Sigh.  Heaven

I'm normally not a fan of Ron Jones, but the Star Trek theme that plays at 1:15 is so good.

Those (I think) major 7 chords make such a great contrast to everything else going on, such a chilling moment in the show.

Several years ago I watched this series and absolutely fell in love with the opening music, especially that melody that comes in at the beginning.  Colin Towns is the composer, I believe.

Is that an original melody, or is he closely following an Vaughn Williams example?  If so, what particular piece?  The end credit song is also beautiful.

3 hours ago, KK said:

Someone give Marianelli his proper fantasy flick please!

I'm surprised I missed that movie, thanks for posting this excerpt.

Two things stuck in my head:

This goofy-ass theme, and all of its sillily dramatic variations

The section that appears a few seconds after this. Such a chilling moment in the film, and gives the events an almost mythical, larger than life quality.